Need Some Cheer, Please

Just got back from laying off 2 - out of 9 to go today. I feel pretty sick. As you all know, this is absolutely the worst part of our jobs. This was no fault of their own - this is a cutback in a union facility - we counted 9 up from the bottom of the seniority list. The worst part of it is, most of them are darn good workers.

So, if anyone has a cheerful word, I could sure use it. I will have to talk to the 7 on the second shift in about 10 mintues or so.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sunny, this is without question the absolute worst part of our jobs. I don't know if anything I say can cheer you up, but my thoughts are with you and try not to personalize it too much. Take care.
  • Give me a S, give me a U, give me a NNY - what's that spell - SUNNY!!!!

Hang in there kid - it's tough - we all feel your pain - but keep smiling anyway - sometimes for every door that closes another one - or a window you weren't expecting - opens. This is true for the people you're laying off today too - hang in there xhugs
  • I've been very lucky that I've never had to lay anyone off, and I hope I will never have to.

Hope your 2nd shift "talk" went better than you are expecting. Open up a bag of Halloween candy and eat the whole thing when you get back to your desk.

• We're thinking of you. .remember, This too shall pass..
  • Thanks everyone - I needed that. This is just more of when bad things happen to good people. Not in my control, but I can't help feeling awful. Of course, I made it as pleasant as possible and they were all really nice. A call back is possible, but probably not until next year.

Thanks again -
    Sunny
  • As tough as this stuff is, it has to happen on occasion. It is supposed to make the organization healthier. This lay-off should make the remaining jobs more secure. Remember every silver lining surrounds a dark cloud. Or is it the other way around?
  • No way to make the immediate pain go away. But life goes on and so will you. Just be thankful you aren't doing around 35 people like I've done on more than one ocassion. It becomes an all day affair.
  • You're suppose to feel terrible. If you didn't feel terrible, you wouldn't be a good person. Better to feel terrible but know you have a good heart than to feel good and know you have no heart. xhugs
  • Must be alot of this going around. I got to stay late last evening to assist the President and EVP in dismissing a Vice President. Of course once the deed was done, I got to go with him to his office to collect all of his personal belongings, ensure I received all company property, such as keys and credit cards, etc., and then escourt him out of the building. Worst part is this guy was my best friend here at work. Our families have been very close for nearly seven years. Oh well... you put on your game face and carry on. For the most part I really enjoy doing HR work, as with any position, there are some parts that are more fun than others.
    See ya,
    Dutch2
  • Dutch: You're right - that's much worse than a no-fault layoff. I've had to do more than a few of your kind as well - not pleasant.

Thanks again everyone. It helps to know I'm not alone out here.

• Dutch2, THAT had to have been hard. Hopefully the employee knows you well enough to know it's not personal, that you had to do your job.

Someone I'm close with here in the office has said that if she ever leaves, she'll never file for unemployment or dispute anything else that relates to what I do, because she couldn't stand the thought of facing me in an appeal hearing or anything else. Even if she knew I was wrong. (Which I never AM, ha ha ha)

Now, if I could just build that kind of relationship with the other 399 employees, I'd NEVER had to fight stuff! Maybe I'll just continue to focus on getting the supervisors trained properly...
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-31-03 AT 06:48PM (CST)[/font][p]Sunny,

All I can think of to say that might encourage you is what a blessing I am sure it was for these unfortnate workers to have the news delivered to them by someone who cares for them like you.

You can't imagine the world of difference you may have made simply by being a caring person in a difficult situation.

Paul in Cannon Beach, OR
  • Paul - and everyone -

Thanks. I hope I did make it easier for them. I have been on both sides of this table in my life and, of course, this is far from the first time I've had to give this kind of news to people. It never gets easier, but having this Forum as support helps me to help them.