Is it ever going to cool off?

Okay, I don't mean to over do, or keep complaining (well, okay, check that, maybe I do) but the temperature on my computer is reading 103. It's October 21 for crying out loud x:o!

I know some of you are already too cold and others too wet (how's the ark coming mwild? x;-) ), but just for a bit I wish I could feel your pain. Four record breaking days in a row is enough already. Today was a double dipper - highest temperature for this date AND the latest day in the year for us to hit 100 degrees or above EVER.

Yes, I will have some cheese with my whine. :-S

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • To answer the subject line of your post - NO. It is NEVER going to cool off. Ever. At least that's what it feels like.

I remember Halloween in Omaha when I was a kid. Some years, our costumes had to be bulky enough to cover up a parka, pants and boots. Now I'm trying to figure out what my kids can wear without causing them to get all sweaty. (In case you are interested, Michael is going to be a pumpkin - his own idea, and AJ is going to be a Q-tip. But that's another post.)

IT IS NEVER GOING TO END! The Forumette Convention definitely needs to be scheduled in the summer each year, maybe in Alaska, so we have some respite from this garbage.

I'm pretty sure we aren't going to get much sympathy from the others - "at least you don't have SNOW", they'll say. 8-| x;-)
  • Of all the nerve! You post that pic and then 10 days later wonder if it's ever going to cool off? We know what's keeping the heat on in AZ and it's You oh strawberry blonde one! It's You! (By the way Leslie, I married one of those strawberry blondes, let's see, 40 years ago come April, and she's still strawberrybeautiful!)
  • Today we have a prediction to reach a record high temp in western Kansas, yipeeee! Last Saturday I once again harvested a bushel basket of tomatoes; I’m not ready for the first hard freeze. The low has been down to 34 once so far but I’m not ready for the first hard freeze or winter, or snow . . .

I would prefer to take cloths off to be comfortable as opposed to having to put them on! :oo
  • Our news had a segment the other day about the temp in AZ hitting new records. We have had a couple of frosts already. Yesterday felt like a heat wave - it hit 70 around lunchtime then dropped to 50 after sundown. But, I agree with Leslie, 103 in October is way too hot. Oh, and we are getting more rain, too.
  • We got the same weather yesterday. It was an almost perfect day (very windy). Today I can see my breath, go figure. I'm not looking forward to winter x:-(
  • Well, it's BEAUTIFUL in Wisconsin!!! Evenings get down to the forties, days in the 60's, fall color is beyond peak, but still very nice, and this is my favorite time of the year. Come on up to the cabin next weekend, we'll do some grouse hunting, take a walk in the woods and kick the leaves, enjoy the geese and maybe an eagle overhead, see some deer. Oh, you get the picture. It's perfect.
  • Cool off? Is it ever going to get warm? is what the question should be. Come to Maine, it's a balmy 39 degrees and it's supposed to go to 44. The next few days, the lows will be in the 20's. Big surprise we hit 66 degrees yesterday, practically a heat wave.

What is that saying? Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Well, if you can't stand the heat, get out of Arizona. x;-)

Cyndy
  • I don't mean to brag (OK, maybe I do), but the weather's been beautiful here in Nashville. In the 70s during the day, just a little nip in the air at night. I better enjoy it now because in winter it's pretty grey and gloomy.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Maybe California has been shoving some of its heat over the border to Arizona? It hit 102 in Riverside yesterday. My eyes were tearing from the arson fire some jackass set off to the East yesterday during this heat, thank GOD that there was no wind - 1000 acres burned and still burning as of this morning , and a huge curtain of ash/smoke reaching up to the sky yesterday. Our firefighters are real heroes, every one of them!

I will take snow anytime - still waiting for that shipment from you Bostonians and New Yorkers . :)

Chari
  • Leslie and HRQ -

I am heading your direction in the morning to visit my Dad in Sun City for his 80th birthday. He has been complaining about the heat also. Bringing the golf clubs so we can get out in it for a while. Hate to leave Northern Nevada, weather has been absolutely beautiful - may hit a record high today also, about 82 is the guess.

I love the hot weather, can hardly wait. But then, I will get to leave on Monday but the weather will stay.
  • Feel free to visit Ray, Whatever and myself here in NY. The hill towns in this area are getting some spats of snow today. Here at work we are trying to decide if we want to call off our company soccer game because it's too cold! Maybe we could split our temperatures, that would put us both at around 70. I could deal with that!
  • Scott, how are the trees out your way? It was perfect up past Syracuse the weekend previous.
  • Supposedly Marc, it is to finally cool off this weekend. However, they said that a couple weeks ago about last weekend. So we've become a little bit of doubting Thomases here.
  • The leaves should be about peak this weekend. I drove up to VT a couple of weeks ago. The trees were so beautiful.
  • Leslie - toldja we weren't getting any sympathy! x:D
  • Yesterday was the latest in the year we had ever been over 100 here in AZ. No big deal - we are going to do it again today (woo hoo - can you tell I'm excited). Actually it's not that bad - I played baseball with my son around 6:00, and it had already cooled down enough to feel pretty good. It has already snowed several times where I grew up in Wyoming (you don't have to shovel heat here in AZ).

Rob
  • Woke up this morning to snow on the cars. Driving in to work, it was snowing rather hard, the kind of snow that is mesmerizing as it falls slowly and collects on the road swirling and creating constantly changing patterns as the cars drive by.
  • Now I know why everyone flocks to Florida in the wintertime. It is gorgeous here! A little on the warm side but beautiful. Mid 80's during the day, down in the 60's in the evenings. This weekend is suppose to be so nice I'll actually be able to turn off the a/c and open all the windows for some fresh air. As Jimmy would say, "The weather is here, wish you were beautiful!"
  • Have you seen the national news? Towns that I, a Washington native, have never heard of in Washington are flooding. Roads are falling apart and people are getting sick from the mildew in their homes - the sign on the local ski shop reads "Think Snow". 8-| I hate this time of year.
  • Aaaah, it's a refreshingly crisp 30 degrees here right now and it's so nice. The air is crisp, it feels so good to bundle up in my new winter coat, the clouds look like they're holding either rain or snow, (my fingers are crossed for the snow). When I get home, my husband will have the fireplace going, this is a great time of year!
  • Just got back from Vermont. Leaves were still changing-though not at their height. Snow was falling. Fireplace was warm. Glad to be back in NYC but as always Vermont rejuvenated me.
  • It cooled off, and it's supposed to be in the 80's all week! My husband, kids and I spent the entire weekend outdoors basking in the gorgeous weather! WOOHOO! Summer is over just in time for Halloween! th-up
  • And NASCAR! I'm off to the races Wednesday night at PIR - out in your neck of the woods HRQ...

• You can actually hear the cars from my back yard (when my children aren't shrieking). I'm actually about 2 miles west and four miles north of the track. vroom vroom!
  • I had to scrape ice off my windows this morning.
  • Ahhhhhhh, this weekend was wonderful. This is why we live in AZ. And.......it is only going to get better. Toots, there's no place like it. I remember, too vividly, the winters in NJ. Oh well, happy scraping and don't forget where the snow shovel is. You will be needing that soooooooon.
  • Yes Ritaanz, I will have to get out the snow shovel so my wife has easy access to it.
  • x:o Toots, I cannot believe you said that. The wrath of the furies will be upon you. I do not want to hear about the mounds and mounds of snow you have shoveled. You brought it upon youself. There is no apologizing now, no atonement. A snowplow might be a good investment this year. Fa-la-la-la. Let it snow. Let it snow.
  • Ritaanz, you are so easy and predictable. Good thing Mjindra hasn't seen this post yet (BTW, we haven't seen much of her lately).

OK, now here is the real scoop. My wife actually enjoys shoveling snow... really. She tells me it is good exercise. I bought a used snow blower a couple of years ago and she refused to use it, insisted on the snow shovel. But, last year I did do more shoveling - when we get 4 inches or more then she leaves it for me. And last year we got several big storms.