Don's Great Adventure

While Don is in New Orleans next week, will anyone miss him? I'd like a show of hands.

Comments

• 38 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What makes you think that he will not still be posting next week? I don't think he will give a chance to miss him! Maybe he will need to set up even another identity because he is signing in from a new location, so when we see "Don's Cajun Brother" pop up, don't be fooled, we will know. x;-)
  • I agree with moneyman. I don't think he will be able to resist the temptation, the pull, the force of the forum! It would be like knowing there's a piece of chocolate in the kitchen and sitting in the living room telling yourself you aren't going to eat it.
  • He will pop up sometime, but I think he will sit back for a few days first to see if people talk about him. And if we don't talk about him he will think we don't miss him and he will be heartbroken.

BTW, this is my 1000th post. Don is approaching 4000 and we had a bet on as to who would reach their milestone first. Be sure Don will say he let me win. x;-)
  • Don will be too busy to check in on the Forum. He has some grueling days ahead of him. Taking copious notes, listening intently to the speakers, staying awake, eating at every establishment mentioned on another post, imbibing the concoctions that only New Oleans can come up with and greeting all the female safety people attending. Wow! Someone has to do it.
  • Unless lap tops are a staple for company travel, I'm thinkin' we won't see him. But wait, many hotels have communication centers. He probably has this remote log-in thing totally figured out by now. Just make sure and carry your password!
  • The last 2 meetings I went to had their own "office center". One only have 4 computers and you could only use them for 10 minutes at a time. The other was a Microsoft conference, and there were at least 50 computers set up that you could access the internet with, no time limits. It was great. I told my office to communicate through email and checked in between sessions. Maybe Don will get lucky and keep us going next week!
  • Geez! In ten minutes Don could do, what..15 posts? Yeah, I'll miss him, we'll all miss his advice, but shhhh don't let him know - it mightgo to his head!
  • I don't think Don will check in. He may lurk and loiter trying to see what everyone's up to, but I don't think he'll come on. I have this vision of Don, ala Dana Carvey in "Wayne's World," partying down like there's no tomorrow, probably skipping a session or two (after all, this is safety for crying out loud), freely distributing beads to anything in a skirt.... x;-)
  • You may be right, Parabeagle. We're talking about him in the third person as if he weren't here. He's checking in, alright. We're his extended work family. Hi, Don!

"Sam"
  • Easiest way to find out if he's been skulking around is check to see who's been online in the last two hours. They still have that icon here, don't they?
  • Actually, I heard that Mwild is spying for him and will inform him if we use his name in vain.

The count so far is only 1 person admits they will miss him, assuming he doesn't check in and post.
  • Poor MWild got stuck with that chore? He approached me about it Thursday, but I had to beg off because I have my Manager's Conference the rest of this week. So you guys will have to do without me, too. You have the con, Ray. x;-)
  • Beagle, he asked you too? He probably asked all the regulars to spy for him. He will most likely collect the reports from you, me, Mwild, Ritaanz, Mjindra, Leslie and a few others and compare and contrast, then use the information against us. x;-)
  • Well, so who am I supposed to get to find out what kinds of disparaging remarks you guys make about me when I'm gone this week??? Maybe MWild - we have that common-bond AF thing x:-/
  • Gosh, mwild's gonna be busy. Don didn't ask me - we'd just made up for the "older" comment.

All I know Ray, is Beagle has just opened the door for us to catch up to him in posts. I'm afraid Don could be gone for weeks and we'd never come close to the master ;;).
  • Sure, go ahead. Surpass my number of posts. It's quality, not quantity, baby!

• So, who says we can't have quality and quantity? You're talking to Leslie and me, remember. Don said it took him 1.5 years to reach 4000 posts. At my current pace I will have around 2000 posts in 1.5 years. I'll never reach Don. Not that I'm trying of course.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-20-03 AT 06:55PM (CST)[/font][p]Ray, Ray, Ray...you really do think I'm Don's twin don't you? Don did not ask me to spy on anyone - I volunteered xB-)

I'll miss Don & I can't wait for his return - I've grown to really like that old southern gent from Mississippi. He's enlightened me in a number of ways including, surprisingly, conservative radio talk shows. I don't listen to 'em, but I feel like I know what they are all about from many of his posts x;-) Just teasing Don...
  • mwild31, I noticed you called Don D "old" when he's not here to defend himself. x;-)
  • Yes, you're right, I'm sorry. Don's not old - and that was a cheap shot....except, he is older than me though - so, on second thought - I'll stick with my original post x;-) Do you think he'll respond soon?
  • His ears (fingers?) must be burning as we talk about him. He'll write at about 4AM on Sunday, after eating and drinking us out of his thoughts for the whole week. He will then lump another 467 posts on top of his existing tally of posts (however many there are) including one with a picture of him standing on Bourbon Street, bare-chested, covered in beads, HR Hero shirt tied casually around his head like a bandana, with an OSHA manual in one hand and a blue bottle in the other.

And I'm picturing a harmonica somewhere in the picture. I still want to know what that's all about.

• Thanks. It was a stretch for me. (Somebody's gotta do it when Don D isn't here!) x:D
  • Miss him already. I'll miss him more if (when?) I have another "plummeting alligator" dream and need help with analysis.

Wait a minute... Don D claims to be in New Orleans this week. Parabeagle is out the rest of the week at his managers conference. ( I don't think he ever mentioned WHERE - on purpose, perhaps?)

Don D's suggestion to Parabeagle in another post: "(1) Spring for some airline tickets and bring in "The Boys Of The Forum" from the calendar. Set us in chairs on the stage and let nature happen. Make Pork an honorary member."

Would any of us be surprised if ray a, safety, Paul in Cannon Beach, scottorr and Pork mysteriously "disappear" the rest of this week?

Women of the Forum - unite! Where are WE going for our little "managers conference"? x;-)
  • HRQ, verrrrrry interesting theory. Now I know Pork was honorary, but hey, we still need a picture. Our little soiree? How's Hawaii sound?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-20-03 AT 07:04PM (CST)[/font][p]Hawaii it is. I bet it's not STILL OVER 100 DEGREES in Hawaii. I bought a new sweater yesterday that I have no hope of wearing for another couple of weeks in Phoenix. I'm sure it'll come in handy on the cold flight over the Pacific, though.

Tiny bubbles, in the waves...... :DD

Oregon City, huh? Maybe Don D's New Orleans story was just a cover.

Hope you came up with some good ice breakers for your group, Parabeagle! Another nice one we used last week: everyone in the room had to tell us "something wonderful" in their lives. It was quick and gave us all something nice to talk about during breaks.
  • I was thinking maybe the Caymens or St. Thomas...both beautiful and plenty of sun, shopping, and sun...
  • Florida Keys, that gets my vote.
  • Don't worry, HRQ. For a couple of reasons:

A - I'm too cheap to buy that many airline tickets to bring in the whole bunch of Forum Mafioso;

B - My conference is in beautiful downtown Oregon City, nowhere near as glamorous as New Orleans;

C - I forgot what C was. x;-)
  • Oh HRQ, you had to remind me. 101 as we speak, and I'm getting ready to walk out in it. Third record breaker in a row. IT'S NEVER GONNA COOL OFF! mwild, this isn't because I'm a spy...it's because I need them xB-)