Hungry In New Orleans

2»

Comments

• Very, very jealous! My husband and I love New Orleans and were last there this past April. I agree that you have to have a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's. I like to be inside in the bar area, always crowded but lots of fun. You also have to have a Lucky Dog. Lucky Dog has exclusive rights to the French Quarter and they're pretty good, too. We liked Tijague's which is the 2nd oldest restraunt and I think it's on Decatur and the Gumbo Shop, small but pleasant. We just never had a bad meal anywhere in Louisana, but it's a different food experience for us. You have fun!

Elizabeth
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-09-03 AT 03:56PM (CST)[/font][p]I have never been to New Orleans, but have always wanted to go. . this is cinching it! Don, I think you are going to have to stay over or skip some sessions to get these all in. Perhaps you could take a laptop and provide us with a critique of each place. I am getting hungry as I write. .Would love to see that Jambalaya recipe, Scott..
  • I re-read the original question and completely forgot to mention that the suggestions should be: low carbohydrate, low fat and sugar free.
  • well, in that case, I think you can get an awesome cup o' ice at any of the fine establishments listed x;-)
  • Guess you'll be "Hungry In New Orleans." x;-)

• Don, you gotta be kidding! If anyone comes up with anywhere to eat in New Orleans that serves that kind of food, I'd sure like to know too. On my first visit there, I tried to eat like I do at home - fish grilled with little or no butter, salads etc. Very foolish. No salads as I know them, and everything else drenched in butter. Gumbo, jambalaya etc. seems to work best for me when there. Anyway good luck, but I can't believe you are serious.

Elizabeth
  • Old N'awlins Cookery (I think), they also had their "secret" cooking spice mix that you could buy. I ran out a few years back and have been meaning to get back just to buy some more (lame excuse to go back, I just want to go back).

There was also a Chinese/Cajun restuarant at the top of a building, maybe in Jackson Square? I have no clue if it was still there, but it was very good and very unusual. Where else would you be able to get hoisin cajun spiced gator tail?
  • I love New Orleans. My absolute favorite place to eat is Bayonna. It's on Dauphine Street in the Quarter. NOLA's is also wonderful. It's in the Quarter and is Emeril's casual, but great food restuarant. Inside is all steel. The Eggs Hussard at Brennan's (also in the Quarter) are wonderful. They are like Eggs Benedict to the 10th power!

Bon Appetite! Let us know where you eat and what you do.

P.S. Skip the Hurricanes. Too sweet!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Don - The Royal Cafe on Royal Street has a great ravioli and vodka sauce appetizer!

I also heard that there is a restaurant called "Feelings" that's also supposed to be wonderful.

Bon appetit!

• I live in N.O. Do you need restaurant names? locations? dishes?
  • Actually I need to be picked up each evening at the hotel, taken to dinner and someone pay for it. Please write back. x:-)
  • Sure, no problem!!! Are you always in a good mood like this? You crack me up!
    Crawfish Etoufee, Red Velvet Cake, Doberge Cake, [url]www.gambinos.com[/url] is the best site for cakes!!! Copelands is the best restaurant, best Muffalatas are from Central Grocery on Decatur,,, I can go on and on...
  • >Sure, no problem!!! Are you always in a good mood like this? You crack
    >me up!

Actually, he's almost never in this good of a mood and you should not let yourself be fooled, nor should you encourage him. Don is the resident "curmudgeon" (Margaret's terminology, not mine) and I think he's just trying to scam free food off of you. Don't let him. Be afraid. Be very afraid. x;-)

• Masparo's on Decatur has the best Shrimp Po-Boys
    On Bourbon street, ask anyone where the HandGrenade Drinks are, you will love them! Port O' Call in the Marigny has the best live band, Irish Pub on Bourbon has great bands too... Cats Meow has great Karoke and Oldies...
  • Margaritaville is indeed just past the French Market. Live music, too. And after six days of OSHA, you'll need the signature concoction.

On the high end, Antoine's is the originator of Oysters Rockefeller and has the most amazing crepes suzette on the planet. Arnaud's is also wonderful and has a room with no highfalutin' dress code (well, no tie & jacket for men, anyway) and a jazz band.

Too bad you missed our AEIS conference in New Orleans last weekend.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Somebody please tell me which corner is it in New Orleans where those little boys come up to you and say, "Say Meester, you wanna meet my seeeeester?". Just wondering, because I want to avoid those people. The Amtrak leaves at 10 in the morning. Hurry with your reply. x:D
  • If anyone says they'll bet you 10 bucks they can tell you where you got your shoes, just answer "on my feet." and they'll leave you alone. The "seester" line is from mexico!
  • Never been to New Orleans - but I'll make an effort now after this thread. I'm printing the thread for trip planning. Looks better than the stuff you get from triple A.

Had my first serving of Jambalaya over the weekend. These are definitely signs. I want to go when the weather is hot-hot-hot! When is the best time?

"Sam"