Christmas

Yes, the Halloween posting is mine, too. Can you tell the holidays are already stressing me out?

I have to come up with an idea (as I do every year) for Christmas gifts for the entire company -- $40/person, about 210 people.

Of course, there are companies who want to put our logo on everything from coffee mugs to blankets. But do any of you have any good, or original, or well received ideas?

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do your employees carry business cards? Coach has a business card case for $58 but maybe you could get a deal for 210 orders. They also have nice key rings, mirror holders, book marks, small picture frames ($48) and other small accessories that may fit your budget. They even have a Coach tape measure, encased in leather. Yes, it is a small item but its quality and I would be so happy if I got a Coach anything from work for Christmas!
  • I go on line and use giftcertificates.com. That way employees get to choose what they want from a whole bunch of vendors. I've found in the past that no matter what you choose, it's not what this one or that one wants.
  • I agree with Rockie... when we had someone go on maternity leave we took up a collection for her. We knew what she really wanted was a really good pram so we bought her American Express Gift Checks, that she could either put towards the pram or use for anything else she might like to get for the baby.
    Alternatively, there are several catalogue companies that put together seasonal baskets fairly inexpensively that always look impressive.
  • My main problem is that I have to cover everyone from entry level factory labor to our President.

I've gone the gift certificate route about every other year, and this year I have to do something else.

Maybe I can just get myself the Coach card holder (for a job well done, once I get it done)!
  • Thats what I'd do...when in doubt, buy it for yourself.
  • Every year that we have gifts it is the same thing. A tee shirt or golf shirt with the company logo and a box of See's Candies. It definitely fits your price range.
  • Wow! $40 per person is a nice budget to work with. My budget is $4 per person - no kidding. Last year we did tote bags. This year we are purchasing picture frames with our logo on them.

It's so hard to please everybody - for $40 I'd go with gift certificates. Amex sells gift cheques which have worked well for me in the past, and they can be used anywhere, as they are treated like travellers cheques. Maybe you could give a $20 gift cheque and something along with it. A nicer picture frame with the logo? Maybe the guys out there will disagree, but I think picture frames seem to work for both genders. If your staff has been around for a while, they tend to get tired of logo wear, paper weights and candy dishes.

Hope this helps!
  • BAH HUMBUG!!!!!

I haven't gotten halloween over with yet. I can't think about Thanksgiving or Christmas.
  • One of the companies in our area, last year, gave out turkeys at Thanksgiving instead of giving something at christmas. It was a great success and they are doing it again. We, also, are thinking about doing it.
  • Once upon a time, I gave a turkey to every employee for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I didn't make sure that every turkey was exactly the same weight, and had employees fighting over why one was 13lbs and one was 15lbs. "IT'S NOT FAIR!" they cried. xx( The next year, I did nothing for Thanksgiving and didn't hear a thing about it. We just spent more on the December holiday party.
  • Out company gives out $25 gift certificates to the local food market. Great success because they can use the money to purchase any food items they wish. Around here, Fry's is the big name in grocery stores. If you have an order over a certain total, they will discount it at10%. The best part, no arguments about size, employees do not have to deal with a frozen turkey at their work place. I have also seen employees give away their certificates to help another employee who has run into some bad luck. The only way to go.
  • We've started using Sam's Club/Walmart gift cards. This has worked well for us, since we also include retirees, many of whom have moved away to warmer climates. We tried the frozen turkey route years ago, but it's difficult to manage, particularly when the plant runs 24/7 and deliveries have to be made on two different days during the week in order to hit all the shifts.
  • If I got a gift card to Target I'd be thrilled!
  • This year we're using the catalog approach: "Choose-Your-Gift". Prices range from $16 to $1,000 and the employees just get the catalog to pick their gift from. They never see the price of the gift.
  • No xmas here, other than a holiday party. The ees volunteer to bring various dishes and we pay for the ingredients. Cannot use funds donated for programs to provide for these types of items. Each department has their own name drawing process and occasionally the white elephant gift game.
  • We give $25 dollar gift cards to Wal-Mart/Sam's before Thanksgivng. 2004 is our 70th anniversary - so we are going to give a wearable gift at Christmas this year - I am looking at polar fleece with the company name.
  • A company I worked for years back manufactured giftwrap. Lots of companies bought gift boxes from them. They were not real expensive and contained upscale wrapping paper, bows, tags, etc. I still buy them every year because my family loves getting them. I think the company will mailed them for you too.

The company's name is CPS Corporation and their number is 615-794-8000. The person who handled the program was named Tony Van Belkam and I know he's still there.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • We do a Holiday party with all of the trimmings for the employee and one guest. During the week of Christmas, all employees do a pot luck luncheon that is quite the feast. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that we also give all employees one week of pay as a Holiday bonus.......... what a place!
  • I'm proposing that our company does a "useless gift exchange" this Christmas. The objective is to not go out and shop, but to bring in an item that expired, is useless or is just plain silly. The empoyees pick gifts in a certain order and can opt to pick an unchosen one or take one that already been picked. It's actually part of a stress-busters wellness theme for the holidays. As an incentive one lucky will pick a gift that will contain a certificate for half a day off.
  • I like the "useless gift" exchange idea. Give me a way to get rid of that jar of mayonnaise that's been in my refrigerator for a year and a half. x;-)

• I've got some old Madness, Tom Tom Club and B-52's records I'm not using. (Where does one buy a turntable these days anyway?) I bet if I look hard enough, I can find some old ear cuffs too. x:D
  • Go to any Best Buy or stereo equipment store. Got mine at HiFi Sales. Pretty inexpensive too. So now you know the perfect Christmas present for those who've been hoarding their old vinyl recordings and have no way to play them.
  • We have been doing a useless gift exchange with my wife's co-workers for 4 years now. Two of the gifts have been there every year and it is getting to be an honor to walk away with them at the end of the evening. One of them is a Cleveland Browns toiler lid, the other is a creme de minth liquer bottle in the shape of an older gentleman's head. Lots of fun.
  • That reminded me of my family's exchange every year. Over a decade ago, an uncle gave my dad a case of Thunderbird for Christmas. One bottle was opened, everyone took a swig, capped it and stored it.

Every year, the case is passed to another as a gift, the bottle re-opened and passed around. There's still about half a case left unopened.

Thunderbird doesn't age well, especially when it's been open for a year or two. There are a lot of "bitter beer faces" at my parents' house on Christmas eve!

"What's the word? THUNDERBIRD! What's the price? Fifty TWICE!"
  • I remember that saying, but it was 55 twice when I heard it. More memories flashing by...
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-21-03 AT 06:51PM (CST)[/font][p]I'm sure I learned the saying AFTER I took a swig or two of that nasty stuff. Maybe it WAS 55 twice.

"50 twice" is more poetic, don't you think? And Thunderbird is a very poetic beverage. x;-)
  • I do remember trying to rhyme after a pull or two, but I think I am the only one who knew what I was trying to say ---- I am not sure that has ever changed. Maybe that is why I talk to myself ..... and answer!
  • What about Mad Dog 20/20...or MD 20/20 for those of us in the know. And being from the great State of Tennessee...Whiiiiiiite (must have at least three syllables) Lightnen!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • In my early days of exploring alcohol, cheaper was better. We couldn't afford wine coolers (remember it was the 80's - they were big then) so we stocked up on Boone's Farm wine. I believe it cost around $2.00 per bottle. Didn't quite pack the punch of MD 20/20 though. x;-)