Light duty suggestions

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-28-03 AT 02:23PM (CST)[/font][p]I know, I know, against the pattern that has developed, this is actually HR related. Please forgive me, don't string me up for spoiling the fun. But this COULD be fun!

Inspired by Balloonman on the Workers Comp forum, I'm looking for suggestions for light duty "duties".

We have a guy in here today and he's painting, sweeping, cleaning faster than we can come up with duties. Rather than let him sit home watching Bob Barker on "The Price is Right", I need suggestions!

What do all of you do for your light-duty guys?

Balloonman's suggestion was reorganizing the MSDS book, which is a great thought. Goodness knows I can't stand doing that, it's perfect! Suggestions?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The chance of getting any suggestions for your question in this forum is pretty slim. This forum is our "get away" from work issues....

My suggestion....go with the MSDS book....it'll make him realize he doesn't want light duty.
  • The interim manager that we had before the permanent guy arrived was crazy. Yup cuckoo- coulda claimed ADA. He came up with something for me to do as a project.
    He spent a day finding EVERY single key, be it desk key, cabinet key, key to the little temp control, basically any key that we didn't know what specific lock it fit. Then he expected me to find each and every key it's lock. There were hundreds of keys!!!! That could be considered "light duty".
    Needless to say the keys are in a bag in my desk drawer, forever to remain.

• Organizing or reorganizing the stock room if you have one of those is good. It seems that everyone LOVES filing and/or shredding around here (careful of the abilities of the person; you want to be able to find things later, and of the nature of things to be shredded). When we assign employees to those tasks they get better quickly. One of the best suggestions made on this forum was opening mail during the time when we had the anthrax scare a while back. Have to keep some humor here.
  • We had an employee who we didn't want sitting home either. He had a whole list of restrictions, couldn't lift, couldn't stand, etc, etc. So we got him a chair put him in the first aisle of our warehouse, gave him a bucket and cloth and had him clean the racks as far as he could reach sitting down. Every few minutes he had to get up and move his chair down a little further. Amazingly he was completely healed in two days.

We also had the maintenace man, who was out, come in and answer the telephone. Again, a miracle.

Cleaning trucks and bathrooms are also favorites.
  • Being that we are a manufacturing company some of our best light duty activities are sorting the different coarses of grinding wheels and the nuts & bolts. It really is amazing how much quicker some people recover.
  • We used to put them in a chair beside the shipping track in our warehouses (not climate controlled) and have them verify orders that were being shipped. Look at the invoice, count the product in the box and initial the order form. Sort of a QC thing. This was especially popular in our Texas and Florida warehouses in the summer and our Minnesota warehouse in the winter.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]