Favorite Childhood Show

Comments

• yep, first time here (it's a slow friday in HR here in NJ).
    I LOVED Jacques Cousteau... for a while I wanted to be a marine biologist (until I figured out that meant swimming in really cold water in the middle of the ocean).
    I think Diver Dan was a local thing in NY.
  • Humor us Gillian. Tell us about riding into town on the buckboard to purchase flour. Or how you tripped on your girlfriends pantaloons and fell out of the hay loft when you heard your uncle's wagon 'rounding the bend'. x:-)
  • I loved Mister Rogers when I was young. But the worst part of it was that my Dad looked just like him, he even wore the dress pants with tennis shoes and cardigan sweaters. In 1st grade my friends thought my Dad was Mister Rogers!!! As I grew older my Dad would embarrass me when friends would be over by coming into the room singing "won't you be my neighbor". The Jetson's were one of my favorite cartoons and still are.
  • For cartoons I loved "Top Cat"...
    He lived in an alley with a bunch of street cats. Kindof a cartoon cat version of the "Bowery Boys". does anyone else remember Top Cat, or am I light years older than all you guys?
  • Golly,we only listened to the radio in those days - when the electricity was running early in the morning.

Chari
  • I remember Top Cat -- "T.C." to his friends. I even remember the theme song. Thanks, Leslie; that tune will be in my head for the rest of the day
  • "Top Cat.. dee dee dee du deeeee
    Top Cat... dee dee dee du deee..."
    well payback is sweet, now I have the tune stuck in the head too, but no words...
    happy humming.....

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-29-03 AT 05:25PM (CST)[/font][p]Yes, Gail Storm was "My Little Margie" - nobody ever remembers that. How about Dobie Gillis in which "Gilligan" (from the Island) was the beatnik, Maynard C. Krebbs.

My favorite children's show was Romper Room. I even got to be one of the children on the show (for a series of days, I don't remember how many). Our Romper Room lady was named Miss Virginia and I thought she was beautiful. I was really disappointed when she used the magic mirror while I was sitting close to her. There wasn't a mirror in the frame at all. Apparently on one of the days I was on there, the kid audience didn't show up for another kid's show which was local to Kansas City - Whizzo The Clown. We moved from one area of the studio over the the Whizzo set and get to be in his audience.

Romper, domper, stomper, do, tell me, tell me, I see...
  • Tried to post here yesterday but ended up kicking myself off. I was so digusted I just went home, so today I will try again.

I remember Captain Kangaroo and Bozo. Also watched alot of Mighty Mouse (my older sister got violent if we wanted to watch anyone else), and Cecil the Sea Serpent (can't remember the exact name of the show). That show also had another cartoon with a Canadian mountie, a woman who always needed rescueing (Nell) and 2 bad guys (Natasha and Boris). I can still remember the ending where they sang "a Bob Clampet cartooooooooon."

When I got older (pre-teen) my best friend and I would watch George of the Jungle. Not for the cartoon, but because we loved the opening song...

George! George! George of the Jungle
    Strong as he can be. (Tarzan howl)
    Watch out for that tree.
    Watch out for that tree!
    Watch out for that (groan) treeeee.

Ok. I'll stop now. But my poor husband had to watch the movie last year when it came on tv so I could get up and sing the song. I promised he would never have to watch it again. Isn't he a great guy? ;;)
  • Beenie and Cecil the Sea Serpent
    Rocky and Bullwinkle with villians Natasha and Boris

I usually do very well at trivial pursuit.
  • Leslie,

I would be the local champ of trivial pursuit if it weren't for history. I can't remember when they fought the War of 1812!

Give me math - any day!

"Sam"
  • I always loved Rocky and Bullwinkle! It was really clever - episodes like "The Search for the Kerwood Derby" and "The Ruby Yacht of Omar Khayyam". And of course, Bullwinkle was from Frostbite Falls, Minnesota - I think that was just north of where I grew up! The other cartoon characters and subjects on the show were no less enjoyable - Fractured Fairy Tales, Aesop and Son, Mr. Peabody and Sherman...I still try to catch them on the cartoon channel!
  • I love it when this board lets us fire up the "Way Back Machine". Go-Go Gophers (and its real-life equivalent, F-Troop), Commander McBragg, Underdog... woo hoo! Some of the 'reruns' when I was a kid were terribly lame - I Married Joan comes to mind - but I loved them. How about the granddaddy of X-Files - Kolchack: The Night Stalker?

BTW... My sign-on name for another message board (I hit about four of them every day)is "Maynard G. Krebs"! I only saw it in reruns, of course - Bob Denver was shipwrecked by the time I was a kid.
  • Just got to this thread............how about Flipper......Everyone loves the king of the sea................. la, la, la.
    Also couldn't wait for the once a year showing of the original Cinderella with Leslie Ann Warren and the Wizard of Oz...............
  • One came on this past weekend that takes me back - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. This is one of my all time favorite movies.
  • AnneLe - I actually rented that version of Cinderella at Blockbuster recently. I love the music. I remember thinking Leslie Ann Warren was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

Earlier someone mentioned Loretta Young. We had French doors in our house back then. I would practice Loretta's entrance in my tacky flannel robe through those doors after every show. Kind of like walking around with a blanket draped on your shoulders after the Miss America pageant - in the '60s, not now, of course.

I just remembered some other childhood favorites. How about Art Linkletter and Queen for a Day. Those were daytime shows. My mom could be suckered in to a stomach ache every time. And I loved being scared to death by Alfred Hitchcock or The Twilight Zone. My dad used to sneak me out of bed because I wanted to watch Ben Casey with him, snack on kippered sardines, pickled pigs feet or oyster stew.
  • AnneLa: the prince in Cinderella was Stuart Damon who has now played Dr. Alan Quartermaine on GH for YEARS.........
  • I have to repeat some of the same . . . my favorites were Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room and Zoom.

In primetime, my favorites were Little House on the Prairie, Happy Days and Barney Miller. How about Real People, That's Incredible and Battle of the Network Stars! (Actually saw a new version of Battle of the Network stars about two weeks ago, and they showed flashbacks from old episodes.)
  • I realized who the Prince was a few years ago too................ what a voice, and not bad on the eyes either then or now. Have any of you seen the new version with Brandy and Whittney Huston?
  • Yes, AnneLe, but it just wasn't the same. But, then again, I'm looking at it through eyes that are much, much older. The music was still beautiful. The newer version of course used all the new technology available today. For example, back when we were young, the pumpkin didn't turn into a coach magically; the scene switched to another stage shot.
  • I remember really enjoying 321 Contact. And of course who could forget "School House Rock"!

I still sing to myself "Conjunction junction, what's your function..." and "I'm just a bill, just a lonely ole bill and I'm sittin' here on Capital Hill..."
  • >I remember really enjoying 321 Contact. And of course who could
    >forget "School House Rock"!
    >
    >I still sing to myself "Conjunction junction, what's your function..."
    > and "I'm just a bill, just a lonely ole bill and I'm sittin' here on
    >Capital Hill..."

What School House Rock fan could forget "in-terjections! Show excitement! and emotion! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hall-lay-lu-yah!

I still can't spell hallelujah.
  • Ha! Ha! You are so right! You go girl!
  • Favorite Childhood shows? Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, followed closely by Mork and Mindy. I never really watched Sesame Street - although Cookie Monster was my favorite, instead I watched old Our Gang Comedy reruns in the morning before school. From about 9 & up I watched a lot of Donohue and, believe it or not, Merv Griffin.
  • MWild, I'm with you on those primetime shows!

HR Diva, thanks for bringing up some more memories. Who could forget 321 contact and school house rock!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-05-03 AT 10:41AM (CST)[/font][p]I think I received most of my sex education by watching Phil Donohue after school.................... Don D, Paul,and Ray, please resist the temptation to comment on my comment.............
  • 321 Contact!!! What a great show!!! PBS was so good to us as children :).

Did anyone ever watch Pee Wee's Playhouse? This was my sister and my favorite show 10:00am on Saturday mornings... Did you know that Lawrence Fishburn was Cowboy Curtis? Looking back on this show now, I can't believe we were alowed to watch it! Those people were crazy!!!

I was a die hard Smurfs watcher too.

There was a cartoon on in the mid 80's with under water creatures, I think it was called Snorkles? I enjoyed all cartoons-

Gummi Bears, Garfield and Friends, Thunder Cats, She Ra, HE MAN.... I am an (to quote another thread) "obsessive compulsive" T.V. watcher!!!!

• Ah yes, Thundercats Ho! I also used to watch Speed Racer; Go speed Racer!