Law School Anyone?

I am considering go back to law school to get my JD. My company will pay for it but it is going to take 5 years because I would have to go in the evenings. I am already working about 55 hours a week. Have any of you done? If so is it worth it?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a friend who went to law school nights while working full time during the week, but I doubt she was working the kind of hours you are. The night division at her law school took four years instead of five and she did manage to graduate a semester early, I think. She had a job with a more predictable schedule that was probably not as stressful as HR. I don't think I would want to try it.
  • I would go for it if you can work it in. I want to go so badly but there is not a night program around where I live. In fact, Wake Forest has a MBA/JD program but you have to go full time and unfortunately, I must work. Good luck if you decide to go.
  • I have the MBA but didn't think the JD would fit into my schedule. I finished the MBA in 2001 and seem to have already forgotten the hours of studying and reading. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the encouragement.
  • I don't see how you could possibly work 55 hours a week and keep up the grueling schedule that law school would dictate. Just getting to the classes would be hectic enough - can't imagine where you would find the time to study and do research. It would be a lofty pursuit if you could work it in. Sometimes, I feel I have gotten a law degree by default. Many of my employees have gotten a law degree just by watching television (just ask 'em!)
  • Speaking of lawyers; they've been rare on the Forum for the last couple of months. Is it true what they say about Lawyers...that they all take off to golf or sail during the summer months? If that's true Scott, go for it!
  • Actually maybe they were scared off by my "Hunting and Harvesting Lawyers" post. You think? x:-)
  • Rockie, I think you may be right especially after the great news I just found out. We are having a baby! x:-) I just spoke with my SO who came from the doctor. My mind was made up for me. I am so excited!
  • Congratulations! I was considering law school after I completed my B.A., but decided that starting a family was more important (we're not getting any younger!) hopefully I'll soon be able to give my husband the same news you just received. I'm thrilled for you both! xclap
  • WOW! Congratulations! Sounds like this is your first. Remember to believe it EVERY time someone tells you "ohhhh - your life is going to change SO much!" It's true and it's wonderful. AND it will make you an even better HR "person".
  • Be prepared to modify your ethics. Legal ethics and ethics for the rest of us are a bit different. The role of the attorney is to defend their client. That sometimes puts management attorneys in the position of having to turn good guys into bad guys, to the degree that they can, because when a company has no case the only recourse is to attack the good guys if the company doesn't want to settle. I have seen this over and over in the expert witness work that I have done. I understand the role, but I wouldn't want to do it.
  • Scott:

I'm glad to see you have made up your mind with the new arrival. Congratulations!

I just wanted to let you know that law school was an incredibly tough time for my (now ex) spouse when he went through it - and he's probably a little smarter than the average bear. After three very tough years with incredible competition - most of his classmates were happy to get $18K jobs as a law clerk at law firms trying to get their foot in the door. The classmates that I have kept up with - several have divorced (including us) many have dropped out of the law field to go back to business, and just a few are still with the same firm they started with. (Meaning the ones who have changed, have started on new partnertracks, thus meaning pensions and better pay are further away.)

My ex is working as a HR manager and is making what I make. So, our investment really didn't pan out as good as we had hoped. (considering everything)

HOWEVER - I want to tell you that if it is a dream of yours to attain a JD - and you and your SO find a good time (because there never is the 'right' time) go for it.

Good luck with your new baby and good luck with your career!

Zanne
  • Isn't it amazing how sometimes providence steps in and lays it all out for you? Congrats Scott, on the bundle of joy to be!
  • Can I say it??? God works in mysterious ways. Enjoy the challenge.
  • >I am considering go back to law school to get my JD. My company will
    >pay for it but it is going to take 5 years because I would have to go
    >in the evenings. I am already working about 55 hours a week. Have
    >any of you done? If so is it worth it?

I can't attest to getting a law degree. I did go back to school for a business degree. Sometimes, I was working 84+ hours a week. Was it worth it? To me it was. Only you can answer that question.