Questions to Ponder

1. Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

2. Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

3. If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

4. Is boneless chicken considered to be an invertebrate?

5. Do married people live longer than single people or does it just SEEM longer?

6. If all those psychics know the winning lottery numbers, why are they all still working?

7. Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. If you tell him a bench has wet paint, why does he have to touch it?

8. How come Superman could stop bullets with his chest, but always ducked when someone threw a gun at him?

9. Why is lemon juice mostly artificial ingredients but dishwashing liquid contains real lemons?

10. Should you trust a stockbroker who's married to a travel agent?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Regarding #5 -

My husband always tells me that the past four years of marriage have passed just like four minutes........................underwater. /:)

• I would change #10 to stockbroker who's married to a lawyer.
  • Number 3 has always been a (for lack of a better term) pet peeve of mine. I am a Christian, so I believe what the Bible says about creation. Without stepping into anything here, and being the open-minded person that I am, I've always pondered the question that science says we evolved. What are all of your thoughts? My mother says that even if evolution is 'proven beyond a shadow of a doubt' that God still created man (and woman) because he infused us with our souls, that there is the difference between peoplekind and animalkind.

What is your take?
  • In the spirit of the original post, I pose this question: Why do we park in a driveway, but drive on the parkway? x:-)

To HS's provocative posting, I think you raise some good questions. I don't think that evolution and creation are mutually exclusive. Without going into controversial detail, I refer everyone to one of my all-time favorite movies, "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March. Rent it, watch it, and ponder.

How's that for a commercial endorsement? x:-)
  • I don't want to start another thread about religion, but I will still give you my answer to your question (I am not a biblical scholar). I too am a Christian, but I do not necessarily believe that the universe went from nothingness to Adam and Eve in only 168 hours. My feelings are that the bible is meant to be about our relationship with God, not a science manual.

With all of the scientific "discoveries and advances" the past several decades, science is getting closer to what the bible says, not further. Before the big bang theory, most scientists said that the universe has always been here, basically the way it is now. Now they say that the universe went from basically nothing (pre big bang) to something closely resembling what we have now in a very short time (sounds kind of like Genesis). There are many other examples out there how science is getting closer to the bible, not further. If anyone is interested in this stuff, just do a search for "Intelligent Design", and you will find much more.

When many/most other religions have tried to explain creation, it sounds from whimsical to bizarre.

My intent was not offended anyone with this, and if I have, I apologize,

Rob Shuster

• You raise interesting points Rob. I too did not want to offend anyone, just wondered what people thought of this topic. One thing to add though, it is a common misconception that a day to God is 24 hours. Nowhere does it say in 168 hours (which is 7 of our days) God created the world; it says 6 days, resting on the seventh. Whose to say that a 'day' to God isn't several thousand years or more?

I have seen some of these articles of science 'proving things' (for lack of a better term) in the Bible. One such article talked about the 'missing' day or 24 hours of time. I wish I could remember where I saw the article and when (if I find it I'll let anyone who's interested know.) Basically they were trying to map out where a satellite would be when it's life span runs out and no matter how many times they ran their calculations through, it kept coming up with an error of 1 day less. One man on the team, who was a Christian, said he remembered something from the Bible about time when God made the world stand still and/or turning back time. When they used modern day calculations for the phrases in the Bible, they came up with the "missing time". It was really quite a fascinating article.

Certainly something to ponder.
  • I wasn't brought up in the church, and since evolution taught in school was my only exposure to creationism, I believed what science taught me. The older I get, the more I realize that there are just too many beauties and mysteries in the world to chalk up to mere science alone. My coworker bought her daughter a cocker spaniel puppy for her birthday and brought the pup in this morning for us all to see. What a tiny, marvelous creature, so innocent and trusting, just two small pounds of warmth and amazing beauty. I find it hard to reduce that kind of creation merely to atoms and molecules (despite their existence and our knowledge of them). There had to be a whimsical, humorous hand behind the things around us! It's nice that we can discuss this here so openly without people freaking out!
  • >The older I get, the more I realize that there are just
    >too many beauties and mysteries in the world to chalk up to mere
    >science alone...I find it hard to
    >reduce that kind of creation merely to atoms and molecules (despite
    >their existence and our knowledge of them). There had to be a
    >whimsical, humorous hand behind the things around us! It's nice that
    >we can discuss this here so openly without people freaking out!

Well said Linda, well said! Whether it's God, Budda, Allah (sp?) or whomever, I like your term, "There had to be a whimsical, humorous hand behind the things around us!"

• Amen! My bible talks to me about the joy of serving God. And the more I learn and experience about his world, the more I am convinced that God must have a great sense of humor.
    Hope you all have a great Monday evening,
    Dutch2
  • I'm not offended, we all have our own beliefs. However, most of the science you are referring to was sponsored by religious organizations and not discovery by chance. You can find whatever you want if your dollars look hard and big enough. If you are doing research with an agenda your findings tend to follow. Just something else to think about!