All the world's a stage...

Ray's actually responsible for me posting this, by quoting Shakespeare in another thread. It made me curious as to how many former (or current) thespians are out there in the HR Forum World... besides me, anyway. And since you can never ask a question of an actor without him giving you his credits, I'll ask outright: What have you done? x:-)

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In the fourth grade, I sang 'Love Lifted Me' for my mother's Sunday school class. I was the Tin Man in the 11th grade. I dressed as a hooker, boobs and all, when I was 25 at an agency 'early bird' party where the men who were brave enough to do so, did. Some of them got picked up. I didn't. I know these don't count but wanted to roll my credits anyway.
  • I was Auntie Em in the fourth grade, I was an adverb in the fifth grade. I also did lots of community theater growing up, mostly hokey holiday shows but our acting group once wrote and produced our own play about life in our neighborhood and that was great fun, it was a big hit. In high school I stuck with costume design, we had to do public declamation four times a year so I had enough of being on stage. I miss it sometimes (acting, NOT declamation!), it has become too easy for me to find a reason that I don't have the time.
  • I have to go back a few years (more than a few), but in junior high I got the acting bug. My starring role was as the Caterpillar in a student-written and somewhat racy Alice in Wonderland take-off. I took some private acting lessons and auditioned for the High School of Performing Arts (of "Fame" fame). I still remember the audition piece - it was a monologue from Anne Frank. Wonder how many times those poor folks auditioning had to hear that? I was accepted for their playwriting/acting program but my parents stepped in and I "decided" to go to a special academic school instead. Ah - the road not taken. I did, however, marry an actor once.
  • I was the poison apple in Snow White in kindergarten. I was a rabbit and a piece of buttered toast in the second grade. In the third grade I was a butterfly and a princess. Years later in junior high I was a punk rocker (gimme a break, it was the 80's!), and I delivered Marc Antony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech once - the eulogy for Caesar, wasn't it? I wanted the lead in "The King and I" in high school, but my voice was waaaay too deep, so I ended up in the mime troupe. Yes, the mime troupe! I had the acting bug, and I think I still do - now I act at work - calm when I'm P-O'd, interested when I'd love to run off screaming, and enthusiastic when I'd really rather be home or anywhere else! ;)
  • Once when I was in Junior High, I was selected to do a solo at the all county chorus Holiday concert. That same year I also had a role in Fiddler On the Roof. Now my only artistic outlets are my paintings and composing electronic music.
  • I was one of the Cratchitt children in a 4th classroom performance of The Christmas Carol, the teacher in our 10th grade thespian production of Splendor in the Grass, and the lead character's friend in a play I have totally forgotten the name of (!) in 12th grade. By 12th grade I was moving toward the backstage more--learning to build and paint scenery, hang & focus lights, and stage managing. In our college production of Our Town, I stage managed and was a townsperson--nothing like trying to be 2 places at once but at the last minute we had an actress who decided there are small roles and that was just too small for her, so the director stuck me in there. I still enjoy stage managing but haven't done it for years & years. [Was pleased to find out last week my 13 year old daughter is stage managing The Wizard of Oz at her arts school in November]. For the past 20 years I've designed costumes for community and university theaters in all my "spare time" and I still love it. I designed and built all the women's costumes for Hedda Gabler this past February.
  • When I was a junior in high school, I had the lead of Laurie in "Oklahoma". My career has not been on the acting side but singing. I have kept it up over the years. Currently, I am performing with two groups in our area and this summer, I went to Italy with a singing group, and performed concerts and masses there.
  • Everyone here seems so musically inclined. I can't carry a tune with a co-signer, so in high school we never did musicals (theatre dept. didn't get along with the music dept.) and in college I never auditioned for musicals. But I've had a few fun roles. Did Twelfth Night in college (Duke Orsino), Last of the Red Hot Lovers (Barney Cashman), The Odd Couple (Felix Unger), The Haunting (Dr. Montague) and a few others. Loved acting ever since I was a kid. Wish I had more of a chance to do something like that now.
  • Can I count impersonating an HR Director as acting?

Never acted in any plays, but I have read all of Shakespeare's plays at least once and some several times.
  • In first grade, the class was part of a musical performance. I was told to mouth the words but not sing because I causing everyone else to go off key. After that, if I had to appear in a class play, I always tried to be the tree (even if it took place indoors).
  • When my daughter was 6 (sne's now 23)she landed Piglet in House in Pooh Corners for the community theatre, and I was recruited to build sets. Thereafter, she had several roles (community theatre here does 4 adult shows and 1 kids show a year) and I built sets for almost all of them. Eventually, I was persuaded to get 'out front' and had parts in lots of shows: Promises, Promises; Odd Couple (woman's version) Arsenic and Old Lace; Social Security Nearly got me divorced - opposite lead was a really hot chick and we had a really hot scene - she settled for a large, new diamond and the theatre group still laughs at the price Ipaid);4 years ago I was lucky enough to be Higgins in My Fair Lady, and thought it doesn't get any better - buty it did. Two years ago I was Arthur in Camelot, and it has been tough to take parts since. Last Christmas I was Clarance the angel in Wonderful Life, and latedr this month I will audition for Fagin in Oliver. As you can see I prefer the musicals. We are blessed to have a first rate auditorium capable of putting on professional road shows with complete flying capabilities and wireless mics and wonderful community support. Shows typically run 5-7 nights in the 1100 seat theatre. Musicals typicall seell out 3-4 nights. Auditions (for example for Oliver this month) will probably bring out 85 to 140 people, and some of them are REALLY talented. The big musical last year was Jekyl and Hyde, the year befiore that it was Joseph, so we have a realy active group for a city of about 40,000. We also have a couple of active theatre groups in Canada (accross the river) so there are lots of opportunities to work theatre. I agree, it is a real thrill, and I know I have been estremely lucky to get some of the fantastic roles I've had. But I'm still not giving up my day job!
  • I vote for Sally and Shadowfax as a Tie! Applause Please xclap
  • Hey, you haven't seen my Duke Orsino - Or my Felix Unger. Hold the applause!
  • Hey Don! You haven't heard me sing Handel or an 18th century English madrigal or my current part in Carmina Burrana! You really can't compare a coloratura soprano ( I am one ) with anyone else. We are in a stratosphere of our own!
  • Murray the Cop (Odd Couple), Deliveryman (Barefoot/Park), Hillbilly #2 (Lil' Abner) Bartender (Bye Bye Birdie) Pvt ??(MASH) Scruffy old neighbor (Tobacco Road) Angry guy with water bucket (some French farce) a couple of one acts, Community theater [oh the glorious life of a character actor]
    Assorted Country, Oldies and Classic rock bands.

My biggest disapointment was not getting the part of the word "And" in the "Conjunction Junction" scene in the off Broadway production of School House Rock. I figured I had gone as far as I could in my acting career and left the smell of the greasepaint for good. :(
  • I was Aunt Susie in the 5th grade Christmas play, that was written by a local author. I think I got the part because I was 5'4" and all the other girls were about 3 feet tall.

In high school I was a saloon dancer in Oklahoma and one of the cousins in the Li'l Abner. I have done a few voice overs for locally produced slide shows (thing of the past) or radio.

Can't act very well - can't sing at all (people move away from me in church) so I usually do backstage stuff. (It's more fun making fun of the actors than being one!)