Cat Toilet?

This afternoon I went home for lunch and walked in on my cat using the toilet to go to the bathroom. I have never in my life heard of such a thing but sure enough that is what he was doing. I'm not sure if I like this. Just thought I would share.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wish my dog could be trained to do that. On hot days she likes to lie next to the toilet because it is cooler.

I have heard of products you can buy to assist and train cats to use the toilet. Sounds weird to me.
  • Thanks so much Scott. I was about to break for lunch.
  • We're you listening for the Twilight Zone music or looking for the Candid Camera?
  • I would prefer that over when mine chooses to use my planters in the garden! I guess she thinks the dirt is easier to dig up in the planter than in the garden. Her name is Angel, but she isn't very nice. When my son called home from Germany, he asked "How's Bo?" (the dog) and then said "Is Angel still a bi_ch?" Where would we be without our animals!
  • That is better than my little kitty (who is about 22 pounds...not so little) who prefers to use the upstairs shower where he sleeps when he is too lazy to get up! He will pee right down the drain. You would think he is the oldest cat in the world the way he acts, but he is only 3! He just is a baby...and of course I do not help that!
  • >Yes, but did he flush???

Better yet...did he put the seat down?

• If I could get my two cats and the dog to do that, I would be elated!! Unfortunately, my cats would never, both are afraid of the toilet (one fell in and must have shared the experience with the other) and the dog only thinks the bathroom is for togetherness. Why is it that they have to come to the bathroom with you?? I hate that!!!
  • My cat used to do that and it made me crazy. She'd sit there and watch with a real mean look on her face. She learned her lesson with the bathroom the day she managed to open the door under the sink, climb in, and could not figure out how to get out. I could hear the meows for a while before I found her.

My dog hated the bathroom because she got her b-a-t-h in there so she stayed away. But she loved going in the garbage, turning the can over, spilling garbage everywhere. Then she'd get scared of the scolding she'd get and pee all over the kitchen floor. I went through alot of Clorox Clean-up.
  • Our dog would eat the cat if she even tried using his drinking bowl as a litter box.

Anne in Ohio
  • I had a cat who could not learn a lesson no matter what. My husband didn't like the cat in the room with us at night, but the cat figured out how to open the door. I was told to try using a spray bottle of water to discourage him as cats don't like water. So I waited with the bottle by the door and when he opened it I sprayed him right in the face. He liked it. He wanted more.

The only time he ever had an experience he didn't want to repeat was when he crept up on my face one night. I suddenly couldn't breathe and since my arms were up by my face I just reacted. About the time I actually woke up, I was sitting up and I could hear the cat's little feet scrabbling for a foot hold in the bathroom more than 10 feet away. I then heard him hit the back wall of the bathroom with a hard bump, and his feet scrambling to get out of there. He forgave me, but he never did it again.

• We also have a cat who can open doors - his name is Horace, and he's a big, fluffy, orange woosie-cat. He is, however, very polite - before he opens the door, he knocks on it. Yes, KNOCKS - not scratches or paws at it, but distinctly knocks. We've laughed for years about his "cat knuckles".

He's never tried using the toilet, but always races into the bathroom as soon as I get home because he knows that's the first place I'll go. I guess he must really miss me during the day!
  • I wish my two cats would use the toilet! The only real issue with this is how your cat's aim is, Scott. If it's good, and the cat is consistent, more power to you! Otherwise leave the seat and lid down and keep the cat box handy. I'd rather sweep up litter than have to clean the bathroom every day! A lot of cats do this, and I think it's cool. Mine only use the toilet as a launch pad to the sink, or as a place to put their toys. Once I went in there and saw a grey mouse floating around - I freaked until I realized it was a cat toy!
  • Congratulations! I've heard it is really difficult to train cats to use toilets. Personally, I wish I could train mine. I have three indoor cats and needless to say, every time you turn around you have to scoop the litter box. My biggest (18 lb.) and oldest (11 years), Tommy, opens our french doors. He will jump up and grab the handle until he gets it open. Only problem is, he doesn't close it behind him!! T.G.I.F.
  • What a hoot! Did you give him his privacy? My cat goes to the basement to her litterbox. However, when I'm in the basement doing laundry she'll slink around like she needs to inspect the shelves until she's sure I'm not watching, then she'll get in her box.

She is a 14 year old calico "space invader" that REQUIRES lap time each evening before bedtime. I think my 8 year old boy is less spoiled than my cat.
  • Come on over to my place and you can train my spouse's puppy to use the toilet. I would be elated ! I really yapped at my spouse for letting the puppy poop and pee all over the living room last week. Drives me nuts, especially when I step on the wet poop. This puppy is mix of 1/2 Chihuahua and 1/2 Border Collie...strange looking and strange acting dog...I would swear the face looks like a German Shepard...!

Chari