Ice Cream For Everyone!

On a happier note, once per quarter we do something fun for our employees. Today we provided ice cream for everyone from Ben & Jerry's. Yes we also provided an all fruit sorbet for the non-dairy people. We give employees an hour to socialize and enjoy something free of charge. Does anyone else do anything fun like this? As you may recall last quarter we served pies from a local bakery. I would be eager hear some new ideas.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • During the few months when there is no snow here in MN we have monthly cookouts. We give the employees an hour for lunch and then we grill hamburgers/hot dogs or fried chicken, we provide all the fixins. We also set out tables in our production area so that we can all sit down and have lunch together. It helps break down the shop versus office barrier. We also bring in donuts and milk for Saturday mornings when they have to work. Usually during our cookouts we will have a raffle for cash, gift certs or sports tickets.
  • Oh My!
    We tried to implement a "Free Lunch Friday" to boost ee morale. The very first day alot of employees complained of our choice of pizzeria. Then it was the time it was served, then it was that it wasn't from the pizzeria that we first used, then it was why do we always have to have pizza, then it was why can't we have pizza like last week.
    So we dropped the program and then it was you guys never do anything for us anyway
  • That wasn't a happier note! Sorry it still wrangles me to this day.
  • My company doesn't but the building I work in has a big ice cream party every August, it was just last week. They also have breakfasts with different kinds of bagels, pastries, scones, soda bread, etc. We sometimes have small ice cream parties in my office and I love that you provide sorbet, I am lactose intolerant and no one ever thinks of me when they get ice cream x:-( .
  • We occasionally still have ee's that complain about our cookouts but my thoughts are then don't attend. The last cookout that we had all the management decided that we need to mingle more so we all had to sit at a table with no other management. It actually went over well and the production workers were able to see that management is not all evil people, like they believe.
  • Does anyone provide ice-cream made with powdered milk ?? There must be a lot of people out there, like me - who can't take fresh milk or fresh milk products. So I feel left out when ordinary ice cream is served.

Chari
  • We serve sorbet as a substitute.
  • Every three months we order pizza for both shifts. Next month we will have a safety celebration and will grill steaks with all the fixins. Our gainsharing program pays out $350 per ee per qtr in gift certificates should all goals be met. We also have a safety incentive for every 75 days without an OSHA event we reward with gift certificates.

Yes, we hear some negative comments such as, why do we always get pizza, how come we only get gift certificates and not cash etc. I feel that someone would complain no matter what we do and always remind the complainers of their career options ha ha.

• We try to do something once a month or no longer than every 6-weeks. We done all of these at one point or another:

buy bagels and orange/apple juice
    donuts
    rootbeer floats
    pizza
    package of bubble gum (or regular gum) w/pay checks
    king size candy bars (or granola bars) w/pay checks
    Bubble gum blowing contests
    BBques
    Ice cream sundaes

To the folks that complain, I just kind of tune them out as the majority of employees love the special treatment.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-03 AT 04:36AM (CST)[/font][p]Am I the only one who thinks Paul and Scott are the same person?
  • Scott, next time you do that, let me know. I'm only a 2 hour drive away - I'll come join you.
  • Lemme see if I got this right. Scott has previously talked about new employees who cling-on and has indicated he is pestered by repeat visitors to his office. And now we're having ice cream socials? Congrats on the positive movement Scott. x:-)
  • On the first Wednesday of each month, I pick up a large sheet cake at Sam's Club for all the birthdays being celebrated during the month. We provide a meal every day for every shift anyway, so this is just the dessert on that day. I make a sign of some sort listing all the individuals names and day of their celebration (minus the year, of course). If I'm late posting the sign, my office phone starts to ring off the hook asking when I'm going to bring it to the break room.

A few years ago, we distributed a rather lengthy memo reminding employees of company policies, e.g., cell-phone use, MP3 players, employee parking area, time-in/time-out procedures, etc. I tried using a tactic from one of my high school teachers. About half-way through the memo, I added this sentence, "Anyone who has read this memo to this point, come to the HR office for a small reward!" I had a candy treat available. Nothing big, but just something different. Welllllll, you would have thought I promised the Holy Grail (sic?) Many walked out of my office thoroughly disgusted with me and my "tricks". For days after, I was subjected to rude remarks and giggling. Needless to say, I've thought twice before attempting anything creative or fun ever again.
  • No cling-ons lately Don. Besides I always treat new ees with kid gloves regardless of their clinginess. I only vent that to my fellow forumites. Thanks for the kudos.
  • Sorry....this will be another story to ruin your "happier note". Recently, my company, as a thank you to our employees, provided free rootbeer floats to all employees, over 350 people. Based on the honor system, each person was able to take one dish of (pre-scooped) ice cream and one can of rootbeer which were stored in freezers/coolers in the breakroom. Well, a few employees decided they must have deserved a BIG thank you....after their shift, they proceeded to fill their arms with ice cream cups and soda and walked out with them. My HR department got word of this and checked our security cameras which are located at each exit. Lo and behold, they were caught on film. They were confronted and told to pay for what they "stole". These employees ruined a nice gesture and as a result, we may never do something like this again. It is hard for me to look them in the face.

***On a lighter note....for a good subsitute for rootbeer in a float, use orange soda. That's what I did....that was one of my happiest moments. Hmmm....now I know what I'm getting as a snack for the hot, muggy weekend!!

• I try to do something fun for our administrative staff once a month. We have only about 20-25 admin. so it is fairly manageable.
    We celebrate birthdays each month with a cake, and in addition we've done pot luck lunches (just had one today as a farewell for a favorite intern), pizza, and "build your own ice cream sundae." Last summer because of the shirt our Director of Sales wore to work one day, we did "Ugly Shirt Day" where I encouraged everyone to wear the ugliest shirt they owned. Our PR Director put it in the e-mail newsletter to our donors & subscribers.
    Did a cookout last July--burgers were provided and everything else was pot luck.
    Hawaiian Shirt day last August for Hawaiian Statehood.
    At Halloween I put a candy in each person's mailbox, Valentine's candy for Valentine's Day, and I make "bird's nest" candy for Easter/springtime.
    For the Christmas holidays we have an office decorating contest. We get people from another office in our building to do the judging, and inexpensive prizes are awarded.
    I'm thinking that one morning the week our concert season begins again I'll organize a breakfast for everyone--donuts, muffins, and pancakes & sausage on a stick. [That week is always particularly hectic!]