PEOPLE OVER 30

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors! We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this. We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, videotape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones, personal computers, or Internet chat rooms. We had friends. We went outside and found them. We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt. We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever. We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them. Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them!

Congratulations.

Please pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors. x:D

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
    >were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us
    >all day. No cell phones. Unthinkable!

When I tell young mothers about this, they are horrified. My brothers and I only came home to sleep. Someone's mother, somewhere, would provide peanut butter sandwiches (no ?'s about peanut allergies) and some kool-aid.

Ahhh, the good old days!

Anne in Ohio
  • Where are my scissors? x:7 Don't forget realistic-looking toy guns that we used to play Army with (the bad guys were always the Germans), monkey bars on the school playground (firmly set in concrete footings over a nice asphalt pad) and the merry-go-rounds that you could spin so fast you'd fly off of it. Thanks for some great memories (although I'm sure the 20-somethings out here will consider us to be about three sandwiches short of a picnic) x:-)
  • Yes, the realistic toy guns, or pop caps (? was that what they were called?) the things you hit with a rock that sparked because of gunpowder. Who can forget those!

Crazy? Who's crazy, not me myself or I! 8-}
  • Playing crack the whip on ice skates. I remember hitting my head BUT GOOD and my two older sisters helping a very foggy younger sister back to the warming house. Never told mom, and ya know what? I woke up the next morning - with quite the headache.
  • Ah, the good ole days. How fun. I saw this once a long time ago and had kind of forgotten about it. It reminds of how these days people get offended if you say something to them or to their child about how they are acting, but when I was growing up, the whole town disciplined us. :)
  • Yes I am in my mid 30's and still remember all these things. However, my sister ran with scissors once and fell. They went right through her hand and came out the other side. No big worries she went to the ER and got a few stitches and she was fine. We had to be home by dinner but other than that we were free to play with our friends all day, outside. Thanks for the memories.
  • What a great reflection on the past and what we have lost.

Lawsuits unhead of - accident were that - just accidents.

We always played outside with friends. TV was something you looked at in the evenings with your family. We weren't allowed to sit in front of the TV in the summertime. We had (God Forbid!) chores to do around the house and they better damned well be done when mom got home from work. When you got old enough, you were expected to go out and make your own spending money or work was found for you via your parents. I remember my mom used to frequent a little dress shop on Main Street and I suddenly found myself working there on Saturdays and holidays. (No stores were open on Sundays then).

I grew up with the same friends and we are still friends today. You could just drop in to a friend's house. We spent out time on weekends visiting in each other's homes or riding around the local drivein on Friday and Saturday nights. Kids could run free on the streets and you could let your kids get lost in department stores and not worry that someone had kidnapped them.

I grew up in a small town where locking your doors was unheard of Windows and doors were left open in nice weather and you never even thought about someone coming in to rob you or hurt you.

Remember visiting with my cousins and walking to a little neighborhood grocery store where the owner had snow cones that he gave out to the neighborhood kids when they came in to pick up things for the families.

Dishonesty was frowned upon. Getting arrested was horrible. Sueing someone was unheard of. Having children out of wedlock was a disgrace. Going on welfare was next to death.

Helping your fellow man was expected and given freely, going to church was something you did whether you were at home or at a friend's house on Sunday. Sundays were for visiting other people or just lazing around the house.

We have really lost something in our society and it is very sad that those of us that remember these times know we will never see this again.

• Ah the days of playing outside from sun up until after dark. Once it was dark we stayed outside catching lightning bugs. (Hey--a science lesson!) No one worried about mosquitoes--the bites were a nuisance but everyone was covered with them. Some kids were even allowed to sit on the street curb when the town truck went around and sprayed for the critters. The spray was probably loaded with DEET or some sort of equally toxic chemical.
    Like Rockie, I grew up in a small town and my friends & I just sort of roamed. Took sandwiches for a picnic lunch down by the river, went to the old general store for johnny cakes with blackstrap molasses and (egad!) bought shoestring licorice that we jumped rope with before we ate it!

• It was a much simpler life back then! Or maybe I should say uncomplicated by the world we live in today...one where we have to be careful what we say and what we display; one where there are so many new 'toys' for children and adults. I remember back then, mom's didn't have to work for the money and were able to bring up their children instead of relying on others to do it for them. The trouble is that there is too much now to spend money on, and things like cars and houses are so much more expensive, but salaries haven't gone up proportionately. 'Tis very sad indeed!

Ah, the good ole days!
  • Other fond and not so fond memories. 1) Having to change from school clothes to play clothes when I got home 2)Sneakers were only for sports because they were bad for your feet. Getting your feet x-rayed to see if the shoes fit 3)At the age of 7 being allowed to go 2 blocks to the vegetable stand and tell then owner that I needed soup greens for my grandmother. (In those days soup greens and fish heads were free). 4) Being Jewish, eating chicken fat in everything. 5)The police officers actually knew you. Worst that could happen is they would take you home to your parents (It was a no-win situation) 5) We had special clothes (long sleeved with hats) just for going to synagogue.
  • I remember sitting on the front seat arm rest of my father's big black Lincoln while we drove I was at a perfect height to go through the windshield (I vividly remember doing this wearing my satin roller-skating outfit while waiting in line for hours during the gas shortage in the 70's). On vacations to New Hampshire, he'd also let me "drive" on the side roads while sitting on his lap.

I also remember when my mother was able to discipline my brother and me with a yell or even a whack without worrying about someone calling DSS or the police. And if a neighbor had to yell at us, my mother thanked her and we had h*ll to pay when we got home.

My Nana used to make zapole which is kind of like fried dough except its in a ball shape rather than stretched flat. My brother, cousins and I used to stand on chairs, over the boiling oil, and watch them cook and see if any of them looked like animals, shapes (like looking at clouds).

Its a wonder I'm still alive, yes? But I look back at all those memories with such fondness (except my mother's whacks!)...
  • I can remember going to the penny candy store and running home with a brown sack full of red hot dollars. My mother is a school teacher (and has been for 45 years) so she always had the summers off, she worked out of necessity...horrors...she was divorced! She must have been the trend setter. I remember riding in the real VW bugs without seat belts and "in the dip" in the very back of the car (at least that's what we called it)where there were no seats at all. We rode for miles on our bikes, caught crawdads in the creeks along the way. Always had to be home by dark and even then we would still be outside trying so hard to squeeze that last second of play time in.

I wish my daughter could know the good ole days. I have to watch her like a hawk and hold on tight to her. Isn't that sad? I think I'd trade times with my mom. I think we had more fun.
  • How about those aluminum slides in parks that got so hot in the summer they could cause 3rd degree burns? We used to bring waxed paper with us and "wax" the slide so we could go faster. We used to alse be able to play at the park all day without any parental supervision. When my kids were little, I wouldn't have dreamed of letting them off the block without supervision.
  • Reading over all the replies, I think I discovered why our childhoods were so much better than our kids. We had freedom. Our parents didn't stand over us. We didn't have our days laid out for us. We really could be kids.
  • I also remember playing hide and seek. I asked my nephews a couple of months ago if they wanted to play hide and seek. They didn't even know what that was and barely looked up from their gameboys. We also used to get together with our families just about every weekend. All of the kids would play together while our parents prepared a meal. No cares in the world. Just fun fun fun.
  • Just re-reading some of these posts and it occurred to me: Many contributors to this Forum will never know anything about what it "really like back then," and will have an entirely different set of childhood experiences that will shape their adulthood -- locked (sometimes barred) doors and windows, school weapons, cell phones, etc. I can't help but wonder -- how will they differ from us when they get to be our age(s) and are sharing their experiences on a similar forum with a generation yet to be born?
  • I have a 19 year old sister (I'm 34) and the differences between our childhoods are too many to count and its not even a whole generation. My 12 year old nephew refuses to believe that we didn't have remote controls to change the TV station. I told him the only remote was us- the kids had to get up off the couch and change the station for the adults. Technology is moving faster than we can catch up. I read somewhere that technology has advanced more in the past 20 years than in the 100 before then.
  • I hope that my son can know some of the fun that I had as a kid. However, I won't let him out of my sight in the neighborhood, trick or treating is limited to the houses of people we know, and all day being gone without Mom is out of the question.

However, I see the kid in him (that I used to be) as he soars down the hill (sans helmet and elbow pads) on his bike. (both hands securely on the handlebars) He enjoys the outside time of running, swinging for hours, and playing pirate, king, and space avenger, in his tree house.

No, it's not the childhood I had, staying up until 10:00 p.m. catching fireflies in the summer, being disciplined by any parent in the neighborhood, trusting neighbors enough to go into their house and "visit", being afraid of being spanked at school and the worse thing that would happen at home. However, it's the best I can give him in the world today and I'm going to enjoy it with him! (perhaps with elbow pads and knee pads when I use the scooter)

• Hate to break this "30's" party up, but you happen to have just described my childhood as well and I grew up in the 80's!
    I think the major changes went into play in the late 80's and early 90's. I played with knives and bb guns in the back yard and disected fish I found dead in the river, bought penny candy at the candy store, slid down an aluminum slide into the asphalt playground! (I specifically remember my Cabage Patch doll having black scrapes all over her face from playing with her on the playground) I climbed trees and woundn't come down until it was time to go to bed, played flashlight tag with other kids. We didn't get our first Nintendo until 1989!

Now it's my kids that Im worried about!
  • This is a great thread, HS, Thanks. I have to chime in and show my age: I was born and raised in the country on a farm, and some of my best memories are of getting finished with making first crop hay about the Fourth of July and being treated to real lemonade with raw eggs beaten into it (now there's a special treat) and ice cream. We had no freezer, so only had ice cream once in the summer, but all we wanted to eat to 'celebrate' finishing with first crop. Picking wild raspberries for my mom to make jam out of. You could never get those lard pails (remember them?) full because raspberries always packed down after you got about 2/3 of the way full. Getting a nickel to spend on candy when we went to town, and my crummy brother who could always save some of his candy and tease you with it for weeks (maybe days). Sharing a bedroom with two brothers. Now people have to have a bedroom and bath for each child. An outhouse and no running water in the house, no TV, but radio shows to listen to on Sat. evening (The Shadow, etc). Our only playmates were our siblings. Running over my brother with a haywagon, fortunately empty, once, and bribing him with everything of value that I owned so he wouldn't tell my parents. : ( Ah, yes, the Good Ol Days.
  • I've often longed for the days when I could turn my sons loose to explore the neighborhood and only ask that they are home before dark. We didn't have air conditioning in our house. We spent many summer days laying in a window, with a box fan blowing across us reading books, just for fun. Or going on vacation in the car with the family and traveling at night because without air conditioning it was cooler. And we kids got to sleep in the back of the station wagon with the seat folded down making a "bunk".

As much as I relate to all our sweet reminiscences, I also remember from my childhood, my mother being certain we would contract polio or TB or some other dread disease from swimming in the public pools. I also remember segregation - my grandparent's restaurant had three separate bathrooms- men's, women's and black (though the sign did not call it that) and separate drinking fountains in our town square. I remember not being able to play with "that family" because they weren't the right religion or because the parents were divorced. Even into my teen years, my father tried to forbid my association with, as he termed it, undesirable individuals. I believed my nefarious activity was well-hidden, that is, until the night a cross was burned in our yard.

These memories, though not innocent and sweet, are still part of my childhood.
  • Most of us reminisce about our childhoods, me included. Of course life was simpler than – we didn’t have to worry about paying the bills, going to work, raising kids. We didn’t have any responsibility accept to have fun. Summer was an awesome time to hang out with friends at the pool or the lake; camp; play football with the neighborhood kids. Winter was an awesome time to ice skate; build snow forts and have snowball fights. We were kids we were supposed to have fun…and we did!

My kids have fun today too. They swim, hang with their friends, play ball, etc. A couple of things I notice that are different is they want to hang out with the parents. I’m not sure if it’s because we are just so cool to be around or they have no imagination to entertain themselves. When I was a kid hanging out my parents was “un-cool”. Every Sunday the entire family would gather at my grandparent’s house for football games and dinner. Of course us kids would take off to play with the neighborhood kids until we were called for dinner. Then if we were lucky we’d sneak out before it was time to do dishes and we’d disappear until well after dark.

The other thing I noticed is that kids today just don’t have the imagination or creativity we had when we were young. We didn’t have many gadgets to entertain us and of course no cable TV and not every room in the house had a television so it was rare the kids got to choose the show so we had to find entertainment elsewhere.

I’m confident my kids will look back on their childhoods and reminisce as well. They’ll remember trips to Florida, backyard bonfires; roasting marshmallows; family game nights; movie and malt nights; camping; boating, etc.

Life is still good, maybe just a little different because we're looking at it with grownup eyes.
  • This is a great topic. I was thinking about this the other day actually. I'm 27- still considered a Gen Xer. I think my generation was the beginning of what we see now with today's youth. I remember playing hide and seek (the dryer was my favorite hiding spot!) and playing stick ball in the street and yelling, "Car!" whenever one passed by. I got my head busted open playing street baseball. I also played in river bottoms and drainage pipes to go "exploring".
    And then when I was around 10 or 11, Nintendo came into our world. I was one of the first on my street to have it. It did change the way kids played. I loved it and I still play it today, but I didn't go out as much and these days it seems like it's all kids do. I was also the first generation to grow up watching cable and MTV. Don't even get me started on that.
    When my wife and I have kids, I will make sure that they experience life like a kid should. There has to be a balance. These days, Imagination should be considered an endangered species, by-cracky!!
  • As has been said, great topic!
    The thing that surprises me is that kids today hav very few or no chores at all today! Not one of the pleasant memories but definitely something kids need to do.
    I live with my BF and his ten year old son. His chore is to take out the garbage and we have a devil of a time to get him to do it. I don't know about you guys but my sister and I were doing the dishes every night, our own laundry, cleaning our bathroom AND taking out the garbage!
    I grew up overseas in four different countries so my memories are slightly different than what I have read so far but they are rich with wonder and fascination.
    Deez
  • Just finished re-reading these and it has made me reminisce about my childhood. I had experiences very similar to most of yours, but I guess I experienced the 'best of both worlds'. I remember our very first computer, a commodore 64 and what a big deal it was to have it. Dad always limited our time with it (mostly because it was his 'new toy'). I remember not having cable, but then the excitement of when cable came to town (there was this red light on a box on the telephone poles that said who did and didn't have cable.). I was there when MTV came out and can remember the first two videos ever played. When I was in high school they were just beginning to teach kids how to use computers. I remember the big floppy disks you needed to save your work on, basic programming, etc. But, as much as I enjoyed the 'simpler life', I seriously would not give up the life I have now. I enjoy my fast PC and the realistic games of today, the Internet, the cable TV. I can't imagine life without them. I just think it's a shame that the kids of today will never experience life, as it should be. They take too much for granted and will definitely grow up to be very different from our generation.
  • About the only thing I can remember doing as a child of the 60s that I didn't see mentioned here is catching fireflies and putting them in jars to make lanterns, standing under a streetlight and throwing an empty coffee can into the air to catch bats, and building "forts" out of tall weeds in the country fields complete with tunnels leading all over the place! Spending entire days playing in creeks catching crawdads and tadpoles just to play with and then turn loose. Bringing home all kinds of snakes and lizards caught in fields in West Tulsa just to have Mom make me let them go. Fun days!
  • I just received this today and thought it was appropriate.

What a difference 30 years makes . . .

1972: Long hair
    2002: Longing for hair

1972: KEG
    2002: EKG

1972: Acid rock
    2002: Acid reflux

1972: Growing pot
    2002: Growing pot belly

1972: Hoping for a BMW
    2002: Hoping for a BM

1972: The Grateful Dead
    2002: Dr. Kevorkian

1972: Popping pills, smoking joints
    2002: Popping joints, needing pills

1972: Killer weed
    2002: Weed killer

1972: Disco
    2002: Costco

1972: Whatever
    2002: Depends

• These are all wonderful. .including safey's.. can't relate to any of that 70's stuff tho :) Have many of the same..but would add playing dress up for hours on end in my brother's girlfriends old prom dresses ..Our neighbor was some big whig at Sears. When they got the first color TV the entire street went over to watch Bonaza and the Peacock. We sat down, at a table, all of us every night for dinner. .fire flys were one of my favorites too..Getting shot with pea shooters and rubber band guns made by my loving brother.. My Dad hated T.V (idiot box)but he would watch Gunsmoke with us on Saturday nights..Sundays when NOTHING was open. .gosh we could probably all go on forever. .opps one more jump rope and jacks. .I'll quit. .

• I was thinking about this as I visited my grandmother in the nursing home. The residents are thrilled when some guy in a polyester suit and loud tie comes to sing show tunes, they work puzzels and crosswords all day long. There is a big screen TV, but it seems to put most residents to sleep.

How different will it be for the baby boomers??? And can you imagine the retirement homes of Gen Xers??? PC's for everyone!!!

: )
  • Before the days of skateboards, we used to take roller skates (the kind that you fasten to the bottoms of your shoes) and a board, put the board perpendicular to the skate, sit on the board, and roll down the sidewalk.

I also remember going to the soda fountain at the drug store, where they served your drinks in a cone-shaped paper cup stuck in a stainless steel base. Or the dime store, with the creaky wooden floor, where you could buy anything from toys to tatting shuttles.

I can even remember when popsicles went from a nickel to seven cents!