Wish me luck!

Yesterday I came to work and got myself an iced coffee from behind the Cafe. I noticed that extension wires, that I had been assured were gone, were still running along the ground through water etc. (some of you may remember this issue from a previous post)
I pointed this out to the GM as he was there getting his breakfast. He looked at them, looked at me, actually winked and said " I don't see anything". I stood there stunned. He has been getting on my case recently about the high amount of workers comp issues we have at our other location. He is also moaning about the low morale in the Cafe.
When the shock faded I approached him later and told him that I was uncomfortable with his remark. He scowled, said he was only joking and told me to lay off.
I don't believe he was joking. In another WC case when I wasn't here that day he told an ee not to report an accident ( which has since turned into an ongoing, painful condition) because then it would turn into WC. He said this in front of witnesses. She didn't claim it as WC and is now paying for it on her own. As soon as I found out I asked the GM about what she claimed he said and he replied that he was "only joking".
THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to update my resume, send it out (again) and put every effort I can into finding a new job. I can't take it any more. I can't take the utter disregard this company has for it's employees and HR.
SO, wish me luck!!!!!!!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maybe the producers of "The Restaurant" should do "The Cafe" next. n any case, good luck in finding a new job quickly.
  • Wow, you are right to get out of there. That GM will only lead to trouble.

Good luck!
  • Good for you and keep at it. while I have always enjoyed your posts, I (and am guessing others)have felt it was probably in your best interest to move on. You have tried but it just doesn't sound to me like these folks are going to change their ways. Keep us posted. Will think good thoughts.
  • I wish you lots of luck. What a depressing situation, not to mention frustrating! And for the GM to have that attitude? That kind of mentality at the top of the ladder sets the tone for everyone else's attitude, and it can be a no-win situation. I understand your leaving - we hit that kind of thing around here, too! Keep us posted!
  • Good luck! When you do find a better place to be, let us know where and how you moved on ..and remember to always tune in to the FORUM !

Chari
  • Good luck!! I agree, you should try to get out of there. But in the interim, cover yourself and document every time you have brought these things to their attention. Maybe its one sided but you never know if you'll have to protect yourself if anything happens to an employee or you are retaliated against for bringing this to their attention. I hope neither scenario happens but you never know and you'll be able to say "On Aug 13, I pointed out wires to Mr so&so..."
  • rad, you betcha! It is already in my file!
  • The file you are taking home tonight I hope.
  • Who does the GM report to? Maybe the execs don't pay too much attention to safety but you can bet your paycheck that they will sit up and listen when you talk dollars. That cord going across the wet floor isn't just a slip,trip type of incident. If you approach the situation with the GM's boss, paint it as YOUR last ditch effort to correct a very, very explosive (no pun intended) situation. Make your concerns to be for the company and its employees and you are trying to prevent a tragedy.

I would use this opportunity to show the big guys that you take your job seriously and will do whatever is necessary to get this corrected. If nothing else, this will give you exposure in dealing with upper management while you are waiting for THE right job to come along.

If the exec tells you to voice your concerns to the GM, that's the time to tell him, "Been there, done that." At this point you have done your job. Go the the ladies room and wash your hands. You'll feel better.

• We are a small (142 ee's) nonprofit. The only people that the GM reports to is the board of directors. They are elected by the community and govern us without pay. The board doesn't want to hear anything derogatory about the GM because they need him to take care of things. The GM is not a bad guy but he is sort of old school and when I start talking about osha or fmla, flsa etc. all he hears is yakyakyakyak.yakkity yak. yak.
    He used to own his establishment and is used to doing things HIS way
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-13-03 AT 12:31PM (CST)[/font][p]How about a well worded letter to the editor of the community newspaper? If you request that your name or other identifying info be omitted, it will be, and it just might get someone's attention.
  • How about a "tip" to OSHA or the local health department? I am sure that a surprise inspection would get things moving.
  • Deez,

You are doing the right thing. This is obviously a company that doesn't value its employees, and that seems to include you. I hope that something great comes along for you soon; you have definitely paid your dues.

Good Luck!!!!!

xclap