Brush with Greatness (almost)

2»

Comments

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-13-03 AT 10:02AM (CST)[/font][p]How could I forget when I walked within 50 feet of Jimi Hendrix?

I see I have moved to OK. Don't think I have ever been here before, anyone out there that can tell me what to expect?
  • In one of my former lives, we had David Gates as an employee - coincidentaly, he worked in one of our "bread" bakeries. I also had an employee relations manager named Gary Wright - however, this guy wasn't exactly a "Dream Weaver".

While a member of the Sioux City Symphony, I met a lot of musical greats (and near greats and not-so-greats) - the Moody Blues, Judy Collins, the Fifth Dimension, David Clayton Thomas, Itzhak Perlman, Shirley Jones, Riders in the Sky, etc.

When I was about 4 years old, I can remember my mom walking me down to Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis, where President Eisenhower was coming through in a motorcade. This was LONG before bullet-proof bubbles on the convertibles, and he was sitting up on the back of the back seat, waving to the crowd and smiling.
  • Aren't Riders in the Sky a hoot? They have played around here and we always try to go see them.

• They did the annual Christmas holiday concert with the Sioux City Symphony about five years ago - they were a riot! Very personable and easily approached for conversation and autographs - unlike some of the other folks I've played behind!
  • Last Fall, I went to a NEHRA conference and Keith Lockhart, the conductor of the Boston Symphony, was the closing speaker. I was thrilled to death when at the end of the session, I was the only person who had brought a CD of his to be autographed. He is a very gracious soul. Also had my picture taken with the former congressman from MA - Joseph P. Kennedy III. I think that's about it for me...........
  • About five years ago while on a business trip to Nashville, Reba McIntyre sat down to dinner right next to our table. She happily agreed to have her picture taken with us. She is even more beautiful in person than in the media. Her smile actually lit up the room!!

I just received a resume from Warren Beatty for a custodial position. I guess he must be a little down on his luck in the movie industry!!
  • Well my husband has worked out at a gym here in San Antonio with Hulk Hogan and Randy Travis. Even spotted for Randy!

Many moons ago Billy Crash Craddock and Sonny Cray(?) appeared at Conneaut Lake Park in PA. While I didn't meet them, I did some serious smooching with the drummer after the show!

I've also dined with George Strait, but he just happened to be sitting at another table with his back to the rest of the restaurant.

• I drove Dick and Lynn Cheney (VP now, congressman back then) in a parade once. I was really mad that my brother got to drive the homecoming queen and I got stuck with just another politician.
  • In response to Sunny's ex and exposure to many
    musicians/celebs, I too have a significant other
    who is in the technical side of the entertainment
    field(s) so I am frequently in contact with the
    great and famous and also the one-hit-wonders. Just
    like everyone else, there are 3 kinds of people to
    me, those I like, those I don't like and those I
    don't know. It's a hoot and never ceases to amaze
    me.
  • I got to meet Al Gore when he stayed at our hotel twice during the last presidential campaign. A few years ago, Danny Glover's son applied for a summer job. He even gave his father's name and info for emergency contact. Over the years, many entertainment celebrities have stayed at the hotel I'm employed with. You know the type who appear at a nearby amusement park; Donny and/or Marie, Hall & Oates, Oak Ridge Boys, Ricky Nelson, Juice Newton, John Schneider, Suzanne Somers, Kris Kristofferson, Micheal Jackson's siblings, Charlie Sheen - not exactly "A" list. I did get to meet the guy who played Mr. Haney on Green Acres. We are also located near a sports complex, both major league baseball and football, so there have been various sports teams, coaches, and players stay with over the years.
  • I worked in Beverly Hills, Calif for many years and we have many entertainment people as clients (CPA firm). So I have actually met many people (that I really shouldn't name) and have seen many others as I had to run (really walk) errands around between offices. I have been to some of their homes to notarize papers and it is a little embarrassing to have to ask for ID when you really can "sight" recognize them, but that doesn't qualify for identification. My friend used to hate how I would like to sit for all the credits of movies because we also had a lot of production people, and who really wants to know all of those things like who the key grip or set designer was. One of our clients was even in the "adult" industry and I tell you I was uncomfortable knowing that when she came in for her annual tax appointment, but she looked like a regular frazzled working person rushing from one place to another.

But, getting back to the almost famous, the one I like the most is a classmate that my pre-schooler had last year, it was little Johnny Walker!
  • We hired Elvis ....

actually, he was an Elvis impersonator (think 'old Elvis' not 'young Elvis'). So strange to see him out of costume & in levi's and a ripped T-Shirt...

I actually saw Steve Largent (Seahawk fame) walking through the airport on my way to basic training.