Brush with Greatness (almost)

I was going through resumes recently and low and behold, my heart skipped a beat when I found John Kennedy to be alive and well! It was truly a strange feeling to see that name emblazoned on the top of a resume. Also in this area, Jim Morrison was/is running for an office. When did he come back from the dead?

Did you ever have a famous name pop up in your travels?

Comments

• 42 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I received a resume from Michael Jackson, who apparently wanted to be a project manager.

• I just hired Virginia Wolf.
  • Didn't the original spell her last name with 2 "f"'s?
  • Brush with greatness. This isn't exactly on point, but I enjoyed this story so much that I have to share it: Supposedly, an amateur body builder was in town for a competition and Arnold Schwarzenegger was staying at the same hotel. Amateur gets on the elevator and who's on the elevator but Arnold, his hero, role model, etc. Amateur is so flustered that all he can stammer out is: 'You're Arnold Schwarzenegger, aren't you?' Arnold's reply, if you are to believe it, is priceless. In his inimitable accent he says: "Yes, and you are not."
  • I can just hear that voice now...thanks for the chuckle.

Actually, a friend of a friend was an extra in a movie that Arnold was in (don't remember which one). He said that Arnold is shorter than most people think (like 5'7 or 5'8) and that in some cases, they had trenches for the actors/actresses playing opposite him to stand in!
  • I always thought he was about 6'2"
  • Let me see here...

Met Richard Thomas (John Boy Walton). He is the same kind of person that he played on the Waltons - down to earth, friendly.

Robby Benson. He taught some classes at the University of South Carolina several years ago. Very nice fellow. His wife is a dancer. Very family oriented.

John Travolta. I almost ran him down in Vancouver, BC. He landed his sea plane at a port and we had just come off a seaplane and it was raining cats and dogs. I ran up the path to the hotel to get away from the rain and I noticed that my husband had stopped to speak to someone. He said "Do you know who that was?" I said "No, who?" He said "John Travolta". I said "Get outta here!" But it really was him. He was sitting in the hotel bar having a drink and I did get a chance to at least say "Hello".
  • On an occasion when I found myself staying for a week at the Miss State Alumni House on campus, James Whitmore (of acting and Miracle-Gro fame) was on campus to do a one-man stand up routine and reading of some sort. Late that evening I noticed him walk past my door and looked out and saw him enter the room right next to mine. Boy, was I feeling like a big shot! I thought for a minute, then went over and knocked on his door. Mr. Whitmore, shorter than I thought he would be, opened the door and asked, "Yesss?" in his booming voice. I stammered and said in my most impressive style, "I've got some beer in my room, would you like one?" He sorta-almost smiled and as he said "thank you, no", slowly shut the door in my face. I was much younger then and told people for years, "I almost got drunk with James Whitmore."

I work with James Brown and Chuck Heston. We also employ Tim Conway and Chester Goode (Gunsmoke). In reality I am Tallulah Bankhead's third cousin, but who in the world remembers her!? Cheers, Mr. Whitmore. You were great wearing black in Westerns.
  • Tallulah Bankhead's third cousin? Now I'm really impressed. I have a pirate in my background. A Cap'n Robert Avery from the 18th century - he was the equal to Blackbeard, supposedly. Was banned from Jolly Ole England for the last 20 years of his life. That explains a lot, right?
  • We have our share of Michael Jacksons, Don Johnsons and even a Rob Roy.

My real brush with fame was when I met Christopher Reeve at the Williamstown Theater and got his autograph. It was so long ago, 13 years ago I think, and I can still remember how he smiled at me.
  • I waited on Tony Bennet and I didn't even know who he was. He came into the restaurant after the lunch rush and sat alone, ate soup and doodled on his cocktail napkin. Someone eventually told me who he was but it didn't make an impression on me then.
    I found out later that he also sketches and they are pretty well received. I coulda kept that napkin!!!!!
  • I've employed Wayne Giese, Zeb Pearce, Dennis Wilson, Phil Harris, and John Glenn.

Years ago a friend and I were at a comedy concert starring Bobcat Goldthwait. Afterwards we were in a position to get his autograph, with no supplies. I used a check from my account. He wrote something besides his name, almost illegible, on mine. We pondered the mysterious message for a few days, then set it aside. A few weeks later I pulled the check out of my purse, glanced at it, and it all became clear. He had written VOID above his name.
  • Now there is someone I left off my "once in a lifetime" list! That smile and those eyes. Both my mom and I agree on this one!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-03 AT 12:33PM (CST)[/font][p]As a kid, I met Vincent Price - who was as dramatic as his characters. He wore a cape with his suit and had to swoosh it back to shake hands. I also met Rick Springfield in the 80's when he was touring small towns. We were the kitchen crew of a concert hall and he came to the kitchen to personally thank us for the great food.

Of late, Martin Sheen and I stayed at the same hotel. I was walking around the balcony and saw this man who looked like Martin Sheen walking toward me. As he got closer, I realized thats who he was and gave him a big smile and said "Hello." He smiled, nodded and went on.

Zanne
  • I remember a Mall here in New Jersey (think it was Short Hills) seemed to be a hot spot to run into celebreties. I've seen Ian Zerring (90210), ?(don't remember the first name) Casperitis (NY Islander at the time) and Jean Claude Van Dam there.

In New York City I've seen Barry Manilow (during a Macy's parade) and in Connecticut a long time ago, I saw Robert Palmer outside of a venue he played at. I also at one point have briefly met several musicians when I knew a band who opened for these 'has beens', for lack of a better term. Most notably, Meatloaf who was supposed to be on one of the diet programs (like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig) stuffing twinkies into his mouth backstage!
  • I once stood behind Mickey Rooney (real) in a line at the Dayton airport

Worked with Ronald McDonald
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-03 AT 02:39PM (CST)[/font][p]Once while I was in NY City and staying at the Waldorf-Astoria, I road on the elevator with Tom Selleck and his wife. He is a giant. He had to be at least 6'7'' tall. He and his wife were very nice. Oh yeah, I'm also related to Bobby Orr, the hockey player.
  • Bobby Orr? My great-uncle Tony used to drive the zamboni for the Boston Garden and got me one of his signed hockey sticks.
  • We just had a family reunion in Toronto but he did not come this year. He lives in Canada now. He never married and unfortuately I didn't get any of his hockey skills.
  • Thats too bad. But then you wouldn't be a lucky HR person! I wish I still had that hockey stick. A jealous neighbor broke it...I was very young and stupid enough to take it out to play!
  • I have employed a few Kennedy's in my career. But I have also had several brushes with fame and one with what I consider greatness. When I was young (a long time ago)I was married to a music critic. Since we lived in NYC and he was considered influential, we were invited to all of the press parties for new groups and new albums. I met, among others, the Rolling Stones, the Bee-Gees, Billy Swann (super-nice and no one remembers him or his one big hit "I Can Help,") - actually the list is endless and not one of them cared a bit about who I was. However, I did get to meet, and actually converse with, Truman Capote (at a Rolling Stones party) and he was every bit as fascinating as I thought he would be. Famous music people are fun to watch, but only from a distance.

• Once got to meet George Bush (the good one) while he was attending a fund raiser on his behalf at my company. Very personable gent and very down to earth. Saw Robert Kennedy give a speech in my community while on the campaign trail in Portland when I was 11 years old. Shared a rental car shuttle to LAX with whatzisname (Raskins? Raskus?) who played the bald managing partner on LA Law when it was a hot series several years ago. I think he currently plays the father in Dharma and Greg. One of those character actors who you know you've seen but for the life of me can't remember his name. That's about all the famous folks I can think of.
  • When Sonny stood behind Mickey Rooney I want to know if people in front of him could see her. Well, she won't send her photo in - how else can we imagine what she looks like?

I forgot to say that in college I was working a summer off-shore oil rig job out of New Orleans. When I got back to town one week there was a large crowd at some sort of public outdoor speaking and we wound up in the middle of it. The guy up on apple crate was Richard Nixon. In my dumbass manner I was trying to impress my buddies with little remarks like, "Hope nobody knows I have this gun." There was a large man with shades and a blue suit standing right beside us. He apparently chalked it up to my youth, rather than hauling me off to jail.
  • Don D - I would have thought that one trip to Chief Dempsey's couch would have been enough to have made you watch your P's and Q's!!!!!
  • In the small town I went to school in, we had a Clint Eastwood. Until the town got to know him, the poor guy couldn't even order a pizza w/out them hanging up on him thinking it was a joke. Today I had a resume from Pamela Anderson. Guess that acting gig didn't pan out.
  • I just remembered a few other "close encounters":

In the mid to late 80's, Hall and Oates came to the town I lived in for a car show. When I was younger, a part of the film "Purple Rose of Cairo" was filmed in the town I lived in. Saw Woody Allen, Mia Farrow and another star showed up one day (don't think he was in the movie), Michael Keaton.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-13-03 AT 08:48AM (CST)[/font][p]We don't really have any celebrity names where I work although we do have a Princess and a Norma Jean.

On a personal note, I danced with Michael Keaton;;) at a dance club called "Voila" in Wilmington, NC (actually at Wrightsville Beach). He was really nice and quite comical. I also spotted in that same nightclub Nick Nolte, Judd Nelson, Rae Dawn Chong (she was doing a movie with Michael Keaton) and the guy who played Pee Wee in Porkey's. We used to get to see a lot of "stars" when Wilmington first got into the movie industry. Don't live in Wilmington anymore but really miss it!x:'(

• I don't know why I didn't think of this one - because he is great in my book.

Colin Powell spoke at a ritzy dinner here in our hometown. I was with a navy guy (in his dress uniform - yum, yum) and he wanted to meet General Powell. We walked up to his table and General Powell jumped up, shook hands all around and chatted with my date for a minute or two. The nicest high ranking man you would ever want to meet.

Zanne
  • We sell cars to all kinds of celebrity names (no real ones as far as I know).
    I did live in the neighborhood where they filmed the movie "The Outsiders" while they were doing the filming. They wanted to purchase the vintage fire-truck my (then) husband owned. His mother dryed their clothes when it would rain and get them wet. The party they threw at the neighborhood park after filming was complete was a hoot. Huge ice sculpture, free food, free drink, games and small rides for the kids. Of course all the actors were there, the director and all the crew.