Have you seen "The Restaurant" ???

Has anyone else watched the reality show "The Restaurant"? I watched the first episode and got hooked. I worked in restaurants and dining rooms for several years so it was fun to remember the pandemonium of the food and beverage life.

The management is stunningly thick headed(at least it is depicted that way). Serious injuries are poo-poohed by supervisors. Waiters are humiliated in front of everyone. Discipline is almost arbitrary. Its total chaos and really fun to watch.

The main star is celebrity cook/bad boy Rocco Despirito. He has a kind of charisma and he loves his mom. I give him credit for taking such a big risk on national TV knowing that 9 out of 10 restaurants fold in the first year.

If you can look past the blatant product placement ("Would you like to pay for your COORS beer on your VISA??") its really kind of a fun show.

Anyone else see it?

Paul in Cannon Beach

Comments

• 40 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I watched the first episode, then lost track of it. I'm a huge baseball fan, and I'm usually watching a game at night. I did enjoy it though!
  • My wife and I got hooked on it also. I couldn't believe the Frech GM, Laurent, told the one waiter who had a bad fall "That's life, just go home." What??! I keep telling my wife this Rocco guy really needs an HR person!

The product placement is so blatant too.
    Has anyone in NY been to that restaurant? It seems kinda weird the way they serve food in paper boats but give you really nice utensils. And it seems like the food isn't really that good. But we are still hooked.

• My husband is hooked on this and says it is the best reality show he has seen. I have gotten "gagged out" on reality shows and usually switch over to old movies when this stuff comes on.

Just watched "The Philadelphia Story" with Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. Great movie and cool clothes!
  • I'm also hooked and I never watch reality shows. I think part of the reason is that I am fascinated by how bad the management is and that they allowed it to be shown on TV.
  • I Worked in restaurants for 12 years. I always thought it was the craziest job. Has anyone out there heard the expression "in the weeds"? It refers to that moment or moments when you are waiting tables and you have just TOO much to do all at the SAME TIME. there has been no other job that I have had that brings about that moment.
    By the way the reviews for the restaurant are scathing
  • Yep, I've heard the phrase "in the weeds," and I know it means exactly what you said.
  • I'm not a fan of reality shows, either, but you people have my interest piqued. What station broadcasts this show? I haven't seen it listed.
  • The Restaurant has become one of my "shows" of the moment. Im am intrigued and comforted by the chaos and bad management. The 3 months I spent as a waitress in college were the most degrading months of my life. Restaurant management really doesn't have a clue about how to treat staff! The stress overpowers there brains.

Rocco really, really needs an HR representative, I was SHOCKED at how they treated the waiter who fell and broke his arm. Is there no Workers' comp in NY?

And last night Rocco gave his bartender a promotion and a Vespa to stay on!!! Man, talk about poor employee relations!

April
  • The Restaurant update 8/10/03

For those of you who may have missed last night's episode or do not know how to operate a VCR, here is a brief recap:

1. Rocco has a staff meeting which consists of a bunch of angry staff who are afraid to say anything. Nothing really substantive is discussed. One waiter makes an effort by saying something about "Rocco's dream". It was awkward and non-productive.

2. Rocco senses a general bad vibe in his restaurant so he does what most uof us would probably do in that situation. Rocco has a priest bless the restaurant. I don't know where they got this priest (central casting?) but for some reason he seemed to think God cares about whether Rocco's restaurant gets good reviews in the NY Post.

3. Rocco's inept but stoic French general manager tries to quit. Instead of jumping at the opportunity, Rocco convinces him to stay on by walking around the block with him. This will be the first of three emergency laps around the block with mutinous employees.

4. Rocco's bartender quits after a tough night of wisecracking yuppies making fun of her. Rocco takes her for a ride on a Vespa. She says she will come back if he gives her a Vespa (half joking I think). Unbelievably, Rocco succumbs to his own short-sighted sense of grandiosity and gives her the Vespa AND PROMOTES HER! You can pretty much guess whats gonna happen next. She tells one waiter about her promotion and new Vespa. He tells everybody else and all hell breaks loose. Employee morale sinks to new lows when employees realize that the best way to get a promotion and new ride is to quit.

5. The waiter with the most personality and most heart quits next mumbling something about "Any minute that I am unhappy is a minute I can never have back." Even one of Rocco's famous walks can't get him to change his mind.

6. The episode ends on a positive note when Rocco stops his experiments in employee relations and goes back to something he knows a little about: cooking. He stays in the kitchen and suprise! the restaurant runs better.

NEXT WEEK: Rocco unveils his new "system" to help the restaurant run more smoothly. Lord help us all!

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • Caught a little bit of it last night, but Inside the Actor's Studio on Bravo had Martin Sheen. Couldn't resist.
  • Thanks for the update. I missed last night. Glad to hear that there is some
    truth to this show, I wouldn't want a waiters job for anything, just too much strees for a job that relies on other peoples generosity.
  • I worked for my mother in college for one summer waiting tables at the restaurant she managed. Talk about harsh managers. She was harder on me than she was on anybody. We would not even speak at work sometimes, nor later at home because of the fighting that occured. I was supposed to call her Angela at work, but I would slip and call her mom or mommy, and I would get the lecture about respecting her at work and how she did not want people to think she treated me any different. Trust me, they didn't think that at all!!!! Needless to say, we no longer work together.
  • Helping to run our family's bar and grill was one of the most difficult jobs that I have ever had in my life! My sister was a floor manager/bartender, my mother and I waitressed, ran payroll and handled benefits in addition to keeping our full time jobs in HR. My father loved to play the host. We had a staff of approximately 30 people. I never worked so hard, sweated so much or ran so fast in my life. However, the tips were fantastic, and working with family to accomplish a common goal was priceless. However,it wasn't free from its temporary moments of family chaos! All things considered, I would do it again in a heartbeat. We sold the business about three years ago.

Anyway, I love the show. It is a very realistic look at this dynamic industry. Hopefully, if nothing else, it will remind people to be good to their servers because they work really hard for the money!
  • Sounds good and interesting, but I am currently hooked on Big Brother 4 and only permit myself one reality show addiction at a time.
  • Oh sonny, I'm with you!

We prefer watching reality shows over the sitcoms, ("Watched the finale of "Who Wants to Marry My Dad" last night) and we love Big Brother 4! I'm glad somebody piped in about that one.

I've never seen The Restaurant. I may have to check it out.
  • I missed the ending to "marry my dad". Which one did they choose?
  • Even though I picked Christy from the beginning, (former Miss America, I think), they actually chose Christena at the end. It was very nice. I hope we hear more about them and how things turned out.
  • Joe is from Cincinnati and the local paper has been providing weekly updates. If I read any hot news, I'll let you know.

My husband thinks Joe is nuts. He says he would have bribed the kids to pick Miss Whoever and just had some fun. Thanks, honey.

Anne in Ohio
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-12-03 AT 03:59PM (CST)[/font][p]I thought his name was Don Mueller. If there's a link to the newspaper, let me know I'll check it out. That's how addicted I am.

Thanks! Keep me informed! Inquiring minds want to know!
  • I was suprised to see how many of you watch the show. I shouldn't have been though. If you are in HR, you probably find people interesting. A good reality show is one that shows human behavior in interesting environments free of gimmicks that manipulate the actual experience.

My favorite and daddy of them all is still Survivor. I like shows that my wife can be interested in too. After being married to me for 8 years, she has learned to love observing people's personalities.

Paul in Cannon Beach

• Come on Paul, what happened this week - I missed it? I can't believe anybody actually stays working there at all.
    And I want to know what Rocco is going to do when someone hits him with a sexual harassment or assault charge - I've never seen someone touch females (particularly customers) so much and get away with it - and on national TV no less!!
  • Mjindra,

You're right - his name is Don Mueller. Because I don't ever watch television any info I get is from the newspaper or other sources. My husband is a couch (recliner) surfer and he watches a bit of everything. The name probably came from the Joe Millionaire adventure a while back

There was an article in the Cincinnati paper yesterday about the show's outcome. Unfortunately, this relationship sounds like it will never go anywhere. Seems like a weird psychosocial experiment devised by the network.

One interesting thing I read is that one of the daughters has been offered a part in the soap opera "Passions".

The link for the Cincy paper is [url]www.enquirer.com[/url]. It has a pretty decent search engine.

Anne in Ohio
  • Thanks for the update! I'll have to check it out. Too bad after all of that, if the relationship doesn't work out.

Now I'm waiting for Survivor to start, I'm watching the remaining process on Cupid, and Big Brother is something we schedule our nights around. I enjoyed For Love or Money the first time, but this second part is rather sickening. Joe Millionaire was one I enjoyed also! The Bachelor ranks right up there, and I'm trying to catch "The Family" which was pre-empted months ago when the war started. It was pretty good for the first three or four episodes that I saw.

I'm a people watcher when we go ANYWHERE, and I think it is a sign of an HR person, studying how people react to situations. I love the reality shows compared to anything else on tv.

I sound a little addicted, now that I re-read my post. Thank God they're not all on at once. Whew!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-19-03 AT 12:40PM (CST)[/font][p]I love that show! For me, it's the same as everyone else, to watch how the management team treats the staff is truly amazing. I keep asking myself - can they (management) really do that in New York?

Last night was priceless though from the employees - three people calling in sick as one of the three was admitted into the hospital after a brutal beating in a bar that left the other two buddies believing that the beaten buddy was dying, the emotional gal pal of the gang of three coming in with blood on her shirt & the violent tale to tell management & it all turns out to be ...... BALONEY! I couldn't believe it - but I have to say, I'm kind of rooting for the employees right now - so I can't say that management didn't deserve it!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-19-03 AT 12:56PM (CST)[/font][p]Ok, my recap is a little late because I forgot to TAPE the show on Sunday. See, I have a life! Fortunately one of my friends is a cook and he taped the show and let me borrow it.

Where to start:

Rocco introduces his new "system" which involves "captains" and "runners" and "squadrons" or something like that. The end result is that no one knows who is waiting on which table. The food and drinks are going to the wrong tables. Its a mess. Probably the number of waiters rolling their eyes when Rocco introduced the "system" was the first sign that it would not go well.

As in past episodes, Rocco has one basic response to any problem in the restaurant: HIMSELF! If there is a problem, more ROCCO should fix it. So, he decides to join the waiters in the dining room and actually "wait" tables. By "waiting" tables, I guess he means schmoozing with C list New York socialites, flirting with anything in a skirt, and generally parading around with a big "look at me, I'm waiting tables like the regular little people" sign.

A couple of celebrity chefs show up and have dinner and discuss the wonderfulness of cooking and restaurants. It all seemed contrived. The ultimate sin of a reality show is scripting a scene or manipulating the drama. "The Restaurant" is shameless.

Three cooks for whatever reason decide to take a short vacation and make up a story as an excuse. The camera shows them all together giggling about not going into work. Eventually they all go in and resign. Then Rocco fires them. Go figure.

Whenever things hit a low, they bring in Momma or at least invoke her name. The poor woman does seem like a dear lady and she loves her little Rocco with a blind intensity usually only exhibited by mothers of serial killers. I must admit that is kind of sweet.

One waiter tries to exploit his new found celebrity status and goes into stand up "comedy". He is literally and deservingly booed off the stage. You are never going anywhere in New York with a joke that starts "You know whats funny about terrorist bombings.."

A young cook gets his big chance and struggles. Everybody yells at him. Only a waitress likes him. She gives him a note with a poem she wrote for him. That part was kind of hard to watch. Even editing couldn't remove the awkwardness of it all.

Next week is the last episode, thankfully. The producers are leaning more upon scripted contrived scenes each week. If the show went any longer it would have all the spontaneity of a professional wrestling match.

I think the restaurant itself will survive and possibly thrive if only for the novelty aspect. Customers will be dissapointed if they don't receive the famous bad service and cold food. How can you go wrong?

Paul
  • My husband read something in the paper the Rocco's was sited with a couple of health code violations. Dirty serving spoons and a couple of bugs - something to this effect. Do you think it will make the show?

I have also started watching - it is addictive.
  • I saw that too. Apparently there were flies and some dirty silverware. That doesn't sound too suprising to me for a NY restaurant. Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

If I was Rocco, my main worry would be my balance on my AMEX business credit card. On the last episode, in a very scripted moment, Super Rocco gets fed up with the delay in payroll and charges all of the employee's paychecks to his business credit card.

I think Tylenol and Rolaids would have been good sponsors for this show.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • Okay, Paul, I know I haven't been hiding under a rock for the past few months, but I have not seen anything regarding this series. Is it network? Cable? What? I'm curious and would be interested in tuning in myself. When is it on?x:-)