I'm a Dad

I’m a Dad
I will drive when others sleep. I will work while my family plays. I will stay alert when they are unaware. I will risk frostbite as they sit by the fire, and I will eat the heals while they eat the rest of the loaf. I will drive through the night as my wife and children sleep away the miles. I’ll carry in the luggage and my children even if I see them trying hard not to smile. I won’t give two hoots if they forget to thank me because I love doing it…. especially for them; because I’m a dad, and that’s what I do.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • But do you give them a bath?
  • And change their diapers?
  • Been there done that and loved every minute of it. But now I'm glad it's over.
    My kids are 9 and 6. No more diapers but I still give my little 6 year old girl a bath she has special needs. But she is getting better.
  • And it stays that way for years to come Jeff. Just spent 3 days on a fishing trip with my 22 year old son. As with the past 18 years of fishing trips, Dad packs the gear, frets over the orginizing, double checks the lists, loads the truck and after it's all over, Dad does most if not all the toting in of all the stuff and puts things back in their place right down to pouring the ice out of the icechest in the yard. But, we would have it no other way. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. One day I will wish I had a truckload of fishing stuff to unload and unpack and I'll do anything to take one of those trips with him again, just once.
  • My 23 year old son, the last of 3, recently moved into his own apartment. I never realized how I would miss staying awake until I heard his Wrangler pull into the driveway and hear the door close to his bedroom. As some have already said, those of you that have small children, enjoy the good times and endure the frustrating times because it will only seem as quick as a wink when they are gone. Sorry, got to go get the tissue.
  • My son is 13, and I am so proud of him despite his mental and emotional challenges. He is smart, funny, tender hearted and HUGE. That's what is most noticeable now, his big banana feet and lean face. The baby cheeks are gone! I do miss that baby, sweet and warm, always hungry and always smiling at me with the biggest blue eyes. Now I have a young man on my hands who argues politics, thinks girls are "you know, OK", eats like a trucker, and he's such a blessing. The thing I miss the most is him not needing me as much. Thankfully he is becoming independent, but I miss even the little things like ironing, helping tie his shoes, things like that. If I were rich I'd have a bunch more! Enjoy your kids while they're little. Pay attention to details, like their warmth, their smile, they way they reach for you, and the total trust and innocence that is so quickly gone. I need a tissue, too!
  • Linda,

My son is 23, 6'4'' and still living at home, holding down a full time job, and going to school full-time for his BS in Mechanical Engineering. I still do the "Mom" things like washing dirty sox & underware that never make it to the laundry area plus doing all of his ironing. He is always hungry, but scrounges his own snacks and dinner, sneeks in at the oddest hours of the morning and gets right into his routine again with a very few hours sleep and way too many beers the night before. I already miss that little boy who's grown into an astonishing man!