That's a Lotto loot!

So, listening to the radio today, it was talking about a guy who was already rich who won the lottery recently (got $113 million lump sum). He got about $600 grand stolen from a briefcase that he took to a bar with him (what are ya, an idiot?)

It got me thinking again about what things I'd do first if I won big...

1) Quit my job
2) Pay off all my debts and my immediate family members debts
3) Go on a really long extended vacation to Austraila, then settle in Hawaii for awhile.
4) Buy a decent house (not to outrageous) with decent property without a mortgage.
5) Buy my dream car (an old 'vette ~ maybe 56 convertible, or 64 split window) and a practical decent car/truck for me and my husband (like a Chevy Avalanche and maybe a Lexus) ~ outright no loan.

What would you do?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Quit my job and spend all day on this forum letting people know how wonderful life was. Maybe even buy the forum and put Don on my payroll and we'd really be the forum mafia.
  • I would also quit my job, take a long vacation, hire a maid, and maybe have another kid or two. In that order.
  • 1) Quit my job
    2) Buy a Jag XJ (plus a spare for when the first breaks down)
    3) Buy an airplane (nothing fancy - maybe a Piper)
    4) Pay off all my debts
    5) Give to some favorite charities a lot more than I've been able to in the past
    6) Host an all-expenses-paid 1st Annual Forumite Convention to be held in (insert city here). Airfare, lodging and meals included for all Forumites. Special guest attraction: Elton John (or Don Ho, depending on who's not booked)
    7) Buy Piggot's Castle in the west hills of Portland and a vacation home in Alabama (with a pool, dehumidifier and industrial strength A/C, of course)
  • Piggot's Castle?

And yes, don't ask Mike Tyson for advice Whatever, or the guy who took over 1/2 a million dollars to a bar in a briefcase for that matter!

I have about a million other things I'd like to do, buy...figured I'd start with the basics.
  • >Piggot's Castle?

Piggot's Castle (aka "Piggot's Folly") is a house in the west hills that was built by an eccentric guy in the late 1800s. There is not a straight line or a straight angle anywhere in the house - everything is either curved, crooked or warped. It resembles a castle with battlements, stonework, etc. Also reputed to be haunted.

Now, watch Don surmise something snide from my choice of house. x;-)

• I'd make sure not to ask Mike Tyson for financial advice.
  • All you postings sound a lot like what I would do HS.

1. Go to volunteering full time with the Red Cross instead of p/t.
    2. Pay off debts for family, self and friends.
    3. Travel the world.
    4. Remodel my house and put in that backyard pool.
    5. Buy a new truck for my husband and let him finish rebuilding his old one that is still in our garage. :)
    6. Payoff the new church our parish just built.

• That's easy.
    1. Quit my job. Moon them all as I leave, too!
    2. Pay off all of my and my fiance's debts. Then have an absolutely enormous wedding and an extended honeymoon.
    3. Pay off any debts my brother and sister have. Make sure Dad was debt free.
    4. Get lasik surgery - no more glasses!
    5. Invest wisely for the future.
    6. Move to Greensboro, NC, and establish a school with incorporated day care center specifically designed for children with handicaps, physical, mental and emotional.
    7. Sleep for a week.
    8. Work to establish multiple centers for special needs kids everywhere I could.
    9. Drink a beer.
    10. Send an email to everyone who's been nasty to me, especially my last boss, and let them know I'd won, that I was moving, and wished them all well.
    11. Tithe to the church. This is not listed by priority, by the way. Have the beer would be higher up! ;P

Ah, to dream! Can you tell I've thought about this many times before?!
  • Let's see:

1. Dunno if I would quit my job immediately, but probably would eventually.

2. Establish trust funds for my parents and my brothers.

3. Buy my baby brother a new pickup truck for sure!

4. Buy about 10-15 acres with a house and a barn and take in foster dogs until I could find a good home for them.

5. When I did quit my job, write books and stories just for fun.

• Here's my list:

1. Pay off debts
    2. Make sure that my dad is comfortable for the rest of his life
    3. Set aside a fund for the grandkids' education
    4. Stop bugging my husband about being in straight commission sales
    5. Buy a house big enough for my spouse to have an office in an out-of-the-way location (basement?) so that he can keep his clutter out of the main living area
    6. Have my house cleaned every week
    7. Hire a personal trainer/nutritionist so I can get back in shape to enjoy a longer, healthier life - include spouse in this plan
    8. Take a long vacation to Hawaii or the Virgin Islands

I probably wouldn't quit my job - I can't imagine not working!
  • That's easy!
    1. QUIT MY JOB - Hire an assistant to call my boss and tell him.
    2. Pay off my debts
    3. Buy an island and build a beautiful home in the middle of the island in Key West.
    4. Build a house for my daughter & have a huge wedding for her.
    5. Build a house for my son (that I doubt will ever get married).
    6. QUIT MY JOB
    7. New cars for my husband and myself. (not sure what)
    8. New cars for my kids
    9. Lots of rawhide and toys for my 3 dogs and probably get more dogs.

Can you tell I am a dreamer???? $$$

• >That's easy!
    >1. QUIT MY JOB - Hire an assistant to call my boss and tell him.
    >2. Pay off my debts
    >3. Buy an island and build a beautiful home in the middle of the
    >island in Key West.
    >4. Build a house for my daughter & have a huge wedding for her.
    >5. Build a house for my son (that I doubt will ever get married).
    >6. QUIT MY JOB
    >7. New cars for my husband and myself. (not sure what)
    >8. New cars for my kids
    >9. Lots of rawhide and toys for my 3 dogs and probably get more dogs.
    >
    >Can you tell I am a dreamer???? $$$

What a laugh...hire an assistant to tell your boss you quit! But you've listed Quit your job twice. Have you got 2 jobs?

• Actually, I meant to list quitting my job every other line....
  • The story in our paper was that he left the CASH in a brief case in his car parked in front of the joint. Someone broke the window and took the briefcase. It was later found, intact, behind some garbage cans. The lotto winner said he carries a lot of money with him because he is very generous to charities.

If I were to win the lottery, I would not quit my job. I would be so wicked that they would have to fire me, and then I could collect unemployment. x}>
  • You wicked? I find that hard to believe. Funny, his charities were a group of churches from a denomination he attended in his past.
  • Quit my job.
    House and land here.
    House and land mountains
    House and land ocean.
    Pay off debts, set up accounts for family.
    ENJOY!
  • -Hire a financial consultant and a tax attorney
    -Quit my job
    -Pay off mortages, debts of friends and family
    -Donate to several charities
    -Go on a spa vacation for an undetermined amount of time - but long enough to kick the nicotine and caffeine addictions!
    -Shop without looking at price tags
    -Buy a condo and have a professional decorator help me put it all together, I wouldn't let them take total control.
  • 1. Tithe to my church, first.
    2. Payoff house and car loans, next.
    3. Quit my job - wheee! then I don't have to do the insane 87 miles
    each way! Then I get to sleep in...
    4. Get time for a hobby, reading, gardening...fun stuff.
    5. Spend more time with the grandkids.

That's for starters.

Chari
  • I haven’t decided what I'm going to do now that I've won the 3.6 billion dollar mega-lottery (JUST KIDDIN') but this question reminds me of an old boss. She was the HR Director (and eventually the Associate VP, HR) for one of the large universities in Florida. She always said, "if I hit the lottery, I'm not going to quit. I'm going make the hire me." In addition to just having FUN, I think she would have seen it as a great opportunity to DO the things that we can't get done because we're trying to keep our job. :)

Karla