SHRM Certification

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-05-03 AT 03:30PM (CST)[/font][p]I realize this may not be the best place for this posting, but I spend a lot of time here and all of the frequent posters eventually land in HR-De-Har-Har.

It's that time of year again. Nearly everyday now, I receive brochures from our local universities and colleges. And, every year, I try to talk myself into furthering my education. I don't have a degree. I realize a degree is what I need, but finances and time constraints will not permit the pursuit.
I think I want to try the SHRM certification test.

I know many of you have received this certification. I'm looking for opinions. Did you participate in preparatory classes, and if so, did you
(a)attend a class, (b)study via the internet, (c)webcast or (d)self-study? I have all options available to me. Please let me know how it worked for you.

Thanks!

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I took prep classes at a local college that had a HR Certificate program, in affiliation with the local SHRM chapter. About 3 months before the actual test, one of my classmates' companies purchased the materials through SHRM and we got together several times and studied.
  • I purchased the SHRM Learning System three years ago, and self-studied the material. Toward the end, I spent a lot of time working through the practice tests, which I found very beneficial when I got to the actual test. I'll be recertifying this year, but will be able to do so without retaking the test.
  • I attended some prep classes offered by Jackson State University in Birmingham. It was several Saturday classes, one every other weekend. Then I took the PHR exam. I was in the first group to take the revised exam. Did wonderful and am considering the same route for the SPHR.
  • I took a study course at a local employer's association. The course was a couple of hours every week for about 2 1/2 months. I also carried my books with me everywhere I went and studied constantly (even at the parties where my husband was working as a DJ). The practice tests that they gave us in the class were wonderful and helped a lot. Also, the night before the test, and again at breakfast the day of the test, several of us got togther and went over any questions we had. That helped. I have recertified once already and am getting ready to do it again this year. Thank goodness, I haven't had to retake the test. Go to seminars, etc. and make sure that you recertify that way. Good luck!
  • I bought the SHRM Learning System and really studied those books, cover to cover, for the three months leading up to the exam. I also attended the prep classes given by my local HR chapter. I spend a fair amount of time reading everything I can on HR and find this forum provides a lot of useful information.

Good luck.
  • Hi there -

I just passed the SPHR exam in June. I did not do much preparation, and attribute my success to the fact that I took the bar exam just a few years ago and learned all sorts of valuable test-taking tips in many months of bar prep classes. Like riding a bicycle (a painful, counter-intuitive bicycle), it all came back to me. I can offer these fresh impressions from my recent experience:
    1. At a minimum, review materials prepared or recommended by HCRI before taking the exam so that you are exposed to the exam style and question structure. The exam is very "text-book" oriented, in that it frequently focuses on conceptual issues, rather than practical application (such as what gets discussed and analyzed in this Forum). Try to answer from the real world and you will do poorly - even if your real world includes 20+ years of solid generalist experience.
    2. Spend time assessing your individual "adult learning" style, and build a prep plan around it. Do you learn better through reading (self-study)? Hearing (instructor led)? Doing (googles of practice questions)? The courses and materials are pricey, so its best to figure out which resources will benefit your individual needs before investing in anything.
    3. Research the times & places the exam will be offered in the future, and factor in the physical surroundings into your prep. I know many people who could not get "in their zone" at the test site due to distractions and discomfort, and did not pass the exam. The June exam was offered at the annual SHRM convention, and there were over 500 examinees (PHR & SPHR combined). The cacophony of sniffles, coughs, and feet shuffling to the rest room was maddening. Some exam sites offer small group settings, others place hundreds of test takers into a single hall. Note that after the next exam date, all future exams will be administered via computer(no more #2 pencils & bubbles).
    4. Relax. Follow your instincts - and not direct marketing mailers - on what works best for you.
    5. DO NOT show up for the exam any earlier than absolutely necessary. The only thing that gones on at the exam site before the the official start time is a whole bunch of panicked activity (note cards, highlighters) and nervous discussion. Avoid it!!!

Best of luck!
  • HI Talley - I see you are in KC. I took the prep course at JCCC. (dont have to be a KS resident) Great teacher! Her classes pass rate well surpasses the national. It was Saturday mornings for about 2 1/2 months. I have heard the the one in Liberty is not so great. Plus I studied alot! But be prepared, last year it was $695.00, not sure how much this year. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • I live north of the river, so Jewell was my first choice. That one is $900.00! I'm not even sure study materials or books are included. Do you remember how many weeks at JCCC? Jewell's is 9 weeks. I spoke to the person in the adult/evening division. I inquired about their HR certificate being offered this year. She explained that it takes about a year and you must have 60 credit hours or an Associates to enroll. She asked what I might have to apply towards the eligibility. When I told her nothing but over 18 years experience in HR she laughingly said I could probably teach some of their classes. I suggested we might be able to work something out. She didn't take me up on my offer.

Washburn (in Topeka) is $895.00. Do you know whether or not HRMA coordinates study groups? I looked at their website and wasn't too impressed. Their calendar of events is so empty. They don't even list the next testing date in December. (Trying to determine location.)

I'll check into JCCC. Thanks for the advice.
  • Looked it up for ya - still $695. (11 sessions) and it is Thursday evenings 6-9PM on Sept 4 to Nov. 20 or Saturdays mornings 9-noon Sept 16-Nov 15. I just joined HRMA-KC and went to the meeting last week and people were asking about courses etc, and I do think that they have a study group. In my class, people also talked about a weekly chat group. IF you are interested I can see if I can get more info. on that. Like I said before, Loretta is a great teacher. She really helped make the learning process easy! She is a Director of the HRMA-KC board. You can reach her at [email]lsummers3@kc.rr.com[/email]. With the JCCC class you get the SHRM Learning System Books that teach the HRCI (the ones who give the test) body of knowledge. They have been a great resource even after the test. I think alot depends on how you learn as to wether the class is better or just buying the books from SHRM is better. Feel free to email me if you want - [email]jmiller@psigroupinc.com[/email]
  • Talley, I'm enrolled in the Thursday evening class at JCCC! Sign up and we can be study partners!
  • I took a course at SMSU (Springfield MO) and didn't find it as helpful as I thought it would be, EXCEPT the Union law section. I thought the test pretty much covered what I have done in day-to-day HR for the past 14 years. However, I don't have any union experience and that was the hardest part for me. I did pass and with was with the Union information I learned in class.

Zanne
  • When I took the test several years ago, I was working at a university (still am although it's a different university now) and took the prep course through their continuing education program. I also purchased the course and used it simultaneously. I enjoyed the course for the interaction and discussion. Unfortunately, the course did not generate the on-going networking that I'd hoped to gain. Many of the people were taking the course with co-workers and tended to stay in their individual group. Plus, I was the only public employer and my experiences were very different than theirs.

A woman who worked in our main HR office (I worked in a branch office), and who took the test the same day I did, purchased the study materials but confessed that she did not have the discipline to study on her own. She did pass the test although I remember her being nervous as to whether she passed. I felt prepared for the test and did not feel nervous afterwards.

I'd advise anyone to take the test. If you have a study group or a course that you can take, it could provide networking opportunities.

Good luck.
    Karla

• I took the exam more years ago than I want to admit. I know it has changed since I took it. I particpated in local SHRM sponsored courses and bought a book and studied it. Just from work experience I knew most of the information. However, I do not take tests well. Also didn't know much about unions. The class helped in these categories. Also, the class really "taught the material that was on the exam" rather than just learning worthwhile information. I would highly suggest you take a prep class. Usually one night a week for several months. Unless you are extremely discipled and take tests easily.
    E Wart
  • I applaud anybody's desire to achieve such certification and am fully behind all your efforts to work toward the goal and I salute your effort and pride. Having said that, I've read every line of every post. I know it was not the question, but I haven't seen a thing here or elsewhere about the value of such a designation. The $900 would by new pipes for a motorcycle and lots of beer or would split among several charities admirably. I know organizations push the membership to make money but I am at a loss as to the true value of the certification. I have been in this field for many years, have advanced my career through multiple organizations at a variety of HR/management roles. I have a masters degree in occupational guidance. I've worked in state government, the trucking industry and three manufacturing organizations, one with heavy union involvement. I have never been asked a question in an interview as to membership in such an organization. I have always participated in, even been president, of local Personnel Associations. I now participate in a county and a metro area HR Managers association (SHRM affiliate I'm told) and am strongly affiliated with an interractive group of like employed people statewide. Plus, I have the Forum, the best of all worlds. Other than the opportunity to stress out over a $900 study course, sit through a painful examination process and get an opportunity to recertify all of that regularly, I don't know that I've ever seen a benefit. Do they publish member recipes or something I'm not aware of?
  • Don, I agree with you, my $900.00 could be better spent. I'm trying to decide if the certification will assist me when seeking other employment. I do not have a college degree. I need another job before I will be able to get a degree. I've noticed that some of the larger employers here in my city are specifying that not only do they require a college degree, they also want the SHRM certification.

I've been sending out resumes for months and months and months without any results. I guess I'm trying to find a short term solution to long term problem.
  • Hi Don,
    I am certified - have been for years and plan on keeping my certification current. But, I too, have had some of the same thoughts that you've expressed. Certification doesn't make me any smarter or mean that I know any more about the HR profession. And, to tell you the truth, the test wasn't so tough that I'd feel a special need to demand the certification for a HR job. However, and this is a BIG however, employers LIKE seeing it on resumes and the certification will frequently (in my experience) make a difference between getting an interview and not getting one. I think they think it means the applicant is more serious about his/her career or more apt to keep current on HR happenings. Neitehr of which are necessarily true but taht may be what they think.

Having said all of that, I am glad I was certified before I married my current husband. He probably would have made us spend the money on new pipes for our motorcycle also. :) Ride Safe.

Karla

• Not only recipes, but the opportunity to have a fold-out business card if you get enough certifications (e.g. "Parabeagle, PHR, CHRE, CPC"). x;-)

Seriously, though. Based on the job advertisements for places that I want to work, I'm amazed that around half of them request "PHR or SPHR preferred." So, if for no other reason than to hedge my bets, I think it would be worth a couple of hundred bucks to prepare. Although the first time around, I think I will take it after some self-preparation rather than a formal study group. I generally do pretty well on tests.
  • When I think about it. To date it hasn't gotten me anything monetarily. Was not reimbursed for all or any part of the costs. Certification did not increase my salary at this position. In fact when I mentioned it here I had to explain what it was. I guess it really only made a difference in me. Not any smarter that the next HR person but did get a warm fuzzy for the accomplishment. Nothing More.
  • My VP of HR is certified, and strongly believes in continued training. When I received my certification, my General Manager and VP together decided that I should get a raise. It was worth it to me, and I too, often see requests for the certification on job postings (I think it is more often requested in some regions over others). I learned alot, and feel I am taken more serious, but I do not have the 14+ years of experience behind me.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-18-03 AT 01:19PM (CST)[/font][p]I ordered the SHRM self-study materials on CD and worked through them repeatedly. I also took the study course offered through OSU-OKC. It was very helpful too. But I found when I took the SPHR exam, that my on-the-job experience often made the difference in the case-study type questions...what would I do in a real-life sitution?

Good luck with both your continued education and certification.

Anyone have anything to say about recertification?

I've been tracking stuff and keeping records, now it's about time to write it up and send it in. Has anyone had any training rejected as "not acceptable?"
    I have a lot of hours racked up during the implementation of our HRIS that is computer oriented. I'm hoping it will all count, I certainly use the info all the time.
  • I was in the last group that got grandfathered in. I re-certified twice and don't ever have to do it again. (I did one thing in my life right.) At least at the time I did my recertifications, I found that they were quite helpful and took almost everything I sent in. (I usually had more than I needed, just in case.)
    Good luck with yours.
    E Wart
    PS I was instructed by the person with our SHRM chapter who was in charge of the class not to even go for the PHR and just take the SPHR. I am glad I did this. (It may depend upon how much expereience you have as to whether or not you want to do this.)
  • Guess I'm a bit late replying but I missed the post. I took the PHR last December. I passed and spent $0 on study materials although I did study. I used the materials I received from AllenaK on the SHRM bulletin board plus SHRM "White Papers." Remember, they are giving the test so it is their perspective you want to get. Whenever I hit something I was unfamiliar with I went on line and downloaded the information. Although I didn't get any money for it, I was reimbursed by my Company for the cost of the test so my entire financial investment was - nothing. I am thinking about taking the SPHR this year - more for the satisfaction than for anything else.

My best advice is to pick the study method that works best for you. There are a number of online study groups that share materials and work together.

Good luck.

• I received my SPHR certification several years ago. Like others, I purchased the Learning Materials and did self-study. Some co-workers of mine participated in study groups because they learn better that way. That doesn't fit my style, so the self-study worked for me.

You're basically learning the way HRCI will test you. In some aspects I had to put aside things I had learned from 10 - 15 years of experience and learn instead how HRCI will want you to respond.

I went for the SPHR because it was going to be a requirement for new positions opening up in my company at that time. I also wanted to do it for myself, my own personal satisfaction. I'm glad I did it because I got my current job (HR Director) because of it -the ad required certification. I'm now pursuing my CCP (Cert. Comp Professional) through WorldAtWork, because I think any continuing education is helpful.

To the poster who asked about re-certification, I went through it once and recently submitted my second application. I had no problems the first time around. I sent my material in more than a month ago for my second re-cert but haven't heard any feedback yet. I did incorporate some of the "new" requirements (strategic focus) and am not sure if I provided what they were looking for. I also don't have a good feel for the timing.
  • Thanks. I appreciate hearing from you about the re-cert.