Diets

Hey, everyone who said they were dieting... how are you doing?

We had a health fair last week at work. Basic health screen, blood pressure, glucose testing (cholesterol), and body fat content.

Haven't received my cholesterol report yet, but anticipate it to be high. For the first time ever my blood pressure was borderline high - not good. We won't even talk about the body fat content - I need to lose weight.

Since both my dad and grandfather had heart problems in their early to mid 50's and I'm there right now, I've decided it is time to take my health a little more seriously. So, I'm on the diet bandwagon.

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wasn't around and posting here when this was first brought up but I will add that since last Monday (7/21) I have lost 7 pounds!!!!

I quite smoking 2 years, 7 months and 30 days ago, (but who's counting) and promptly gained the equivalent of a pre-schooler! I know you're asking...... And she's just *now* noticing it??? Well............. you know how pesky a new dryer is.... I thought I was simply over drying my clothes!!!

Anyway, I am quite proud of myself..... 7 down - 32 to go!!

Good luck to anyone else on the same mission!
  • Thankfully I've never really had a weight problem. Running helps control a lot of it. Although I did notice now that I'm pushing the big 40 I can't eat anything and everything like I used to. So I just started watching my carbohydrate intake. I'm not on any kind of diet like the Atkins or anything but I am eliminating breads, potatoes, etc. What a difference that has made. After I eat I don't feel that icky full feeling.

Good luck to all of you dieters. Remember a little bit of exercise and sensible eating (moderation, moderation, moderation) goes a long way!
  • Since there is a chain of restaurants bearing your Forum name, do you have any suggestions for healthy eating there?
  • Nicole, same boat as you. Quit smoking about 15 overweight, then promptly gained 25 more. I was on the last diet thread saying I was cutting carbs, and trying to excercise more. Had lost about 7 then, about 15 now. Long way to go, but at least I'm seeing some progress. Bad news? I started smoking again.
  • Sorry I don't think we have any Ruby Tuesday restaurants in Wisconsin. If we do, I've never eaten at one.

Prior to this low/moderate carb lifesytle I would have recommended anything pasta but now I guess I'll have to recommend chicken.
  • Ruby Tuesday's has one of the best salad bars around here in "SOUTH". Guess I just have to watch how much cheese and dressing I put on it!
  • I was at Ruby Tuesday's last night. I pigged out at the salad bar which meant I was hungry again by 9:00pm. I have been watching my carbs and cholesterol in-take. I have greatly increased my exercise though. I am playing soccer two nights per week and going to the gym at least three some times five days a week. My Gym is five minutes from work so I have been going at my lunch hour to do a 30 minute ride on the excecise bike. I haven't lost a lot of weight but I have toned up quite a bit. Good luck everyone, I know its not easy!
  • I've tried them all. Atkins is the only one that has worked without me getting hungry. I've lost 24 pounds since May. Now I look like the blonde girl on the Atkins website! (If I cut, paste and resize)

• My boss went on the Adkins a couple of years ago. Lost 95 pounds in one year then gain much of it back the next.

I've lost 2 lbs this week for a total of 7 over the past month. I'm just reducing my intake, especially junk food and snacks. I also stop eating when I've had enough, not when my plate is empty.
  • Ray,

I don't know why you're trying to lose weight. Or are you just trying to be more healthy?

People say that when you go off the Atkins diet, you gain the weight back. Well, doesn't that make sense. Anytime you go off of any diet, you'll gain weight back - unless you change your lifestyle to maintain yourself at the weight you like. I've actually felt healthier and had more energy without the carbs.

I'm a bread freak. It's not as bad as I thought it would be to give it up.

"Sam"
  • I was an avid bicyclist for many years until about 7 years ago. Back then my weight would fluctuate between 160 and 175. I hit a peak of 225 recently and am back down to 218. My goal is to get down to 180 - I figure that is a good weight for my height and age. All that extra weight can't be good for my heart.

You're right about changing eating habits. My boss went right back to his old "diet" when he gained back all the weight. I'm not using any particular plan, just trying to reduce my intake and cut out snacks. I figure if I eat the same things and don't deprive myself I'm less apt to "fall off the wagon".
  • I just got back from a weekend in TN where my Mom made all the greatest foods for me! Totally blew my new eating lifestyle I am trying to adopt. Now I am back in Ohio and trying to get used to stemed veggies and chicken breast again. Too bad I couldn't get my pants buttoned this morning!
  • Well, I am not hitting my New Year's resolution of losing 20 pounds by the time I'm 40. (That happens on Friday this week) I have lost 10 pounds and have changed my lifestyle to lose more weight. Apparently, not very quickly.

However, I feel healthier. We'll have our health fair at the end of the month and I'll see if all my numbers look better.

Zanne
  • I've been cutting out carbs, too. I stopped drinking beer. I thought it would be hard to do, but I immediately lost a good four pounds and have kept them off, so the results were a real motivator. I find that if I drink soda or eat pasta, anything with bread, or things like potatoes or sweet vegetables (corn, peas, beets) I feel sluggish and sleepy at work. A dietician told me that the best thing to do is eat five small meals per day. This speeds up your metabolism and prevents overeating and helps you resist giving in to cravings. This is hard to do at work, but if I stash some nuts or a piece of fruit in my desk and drink lots of water, it helps a lot. Good luck, everybody!
  • LindaD,

you don't have to give up beer. did you ever try micholob(spelling) ultra? It's pretty good for a low carb beer. 2.6 carbs per beer. :DD

• Tried the Mich Ultra. It gave me a headache. Swung back to my old Miller Lite and guess what - only 3.2 carbs per bottle. I'm very happy.

And watch out if you like flavored malt beverages (the Jack Daniels hard colas, Stoli Citrona, Skyy Blue, stuff like that). They have upwards of 40 carbs per bottle! Ouch!
  • Yeah, I did the Michelob ultra light, and it's not bad at all. But I gave that up, too, and just eliminating those few calories really jump started things! I don't need to drop weight as much as tone up. That's the hard part, getting home and being motivated to exercise. I don't really miss the beer, to be honest, but I do miss bread and potatoes!
  • I joined Weight Watchers - I am on day 2 - so far it's a very easy plan to follow. I tried Adkins - always felt bad. I need to step on the scale in front of someone - that is a great motivator for me. Good Luck to Everyone.