Need input of car buffs, please.

2»

Comments

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-01-03 AT 05:04PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-01-03 AT 05:03 PM (CST)[/font]

I drive a Pontiac Bonneville. I've complained the entire time I've owned it that I think it's a "man's car" because it's too big inside for me. I can't rest my left elbow on the door/window frame and still reach the steering wheel with my hand. I have to reach to adjust the radio/CD player and HVAC. I love the power and easy ride. My sons call it an "old lady" car. In my case the Bonneville isn't a guy's or chick's car, but according to my sons, it's an age thing.

This week, I had to have a rental. Ended up with a Dodge Neon. Thrilled my youngest son, but after driving that teeny, weeny car I'll never complain about the Bonneville being too large inside. The Neon was soooo small, the windshield cut off my peripheral vision. I like knowing I've got plenty of metal protecting me.
  • My wife loved small cars with standard shift. Then she took over the Chrysler Concorde. She loves it and won't part with it.
  • I also drive a Bonneville. My Dad had one years ago and I fell in love with it. Everyone laughed at me when I told them what I wanted saying it was an "old man's car". I absolutely love it! The drive is great, no mechanical or electrical system problems. I'll get another when the time is right. Used to have an Audi - along with the many repair bills. Never again!
  • My boyfreind and I commute in together. A while ago we had a nissan truck (his) which died. We could not afford a new one so my mother sold us her '87 toyota corolla with a mere 80,000 miles on it for one dollar. I don't drive so my BF has to do it all in what he considers an "old lady" car. To add insult to injury Mom informed him that the cars nickname is Rosie. He HATES that car!!!!!!!

• It's tough to assign a gender preference to a vehicle. I see guys driving Beetles all the time, (with dashboard flowers included), I personally have never seen a Miata on the road being driven by a woman, and PT Cruisers go both ways. My husband and I have three 4 wheeled vehicles, all V8s, a 1995 Olds Aurora (my primary), a 1999 Ford F-150 (his primary) and a 1990 Corvette (mostly his toy).

My personal dream car is a Shelby Cobra 427. I have a 1/24 scale model of one on my desk that seems to surprise people. Men seem especially surprised that I know what it is.

I say drive what makes you feel good, and gets you there.
  • Went to the mountains over the weekend. Coming home yesterday saw two vintage VW Bugs. As we were coming up opn them, my boyfriend called them Easter Eggs - one was painted pastel green, the other pastel blue. Both driven by guys.
  • I had a pale blue 68 VW bug and an orange 75 VW bug. And I'm a guy.
  • I actually drove a Shelby 427 Cobra! It was a kit car. Still sounded like thunder!

I want to drive a Delorean.
  • I'm waiting to see who will lay claim to every having owned one of those putrid-green, two-door, 1971 Ford Torinos. I remember my 65 yellow chevy supersport, two door, console, black leather interior, 327 flags behind the front wheels on the panel, and that black cloth ceiling that attracted footprints so well.
  • Footprints on the ceiling? Don, what are you talking about?
  • Ray A, are you just trying to get Don to explain so he gains the attention of the forum police? Again?
  • No just showing my sensitive, naive side so all you wonderful ladies will take me out of the chauvinist box.
  • Don D.

The back seat of my first car was also very small and not conducive to taking naps without your feet up. (a '61 Valiant)

"Sam"
  • "Recently, I was having a conversation with a friend about what kind of
    cars are clearly male or female, in terms of their likely owners.
    Here's the question: What constitutes a chick car?"

:-?Good question. Something I have thought about before, but never discussed with anyone. Do you make it a game? Drive up behind drivers and guess there gender? hmmmmm. Okay, here's my idea -

As much as I hate to generalize I think certain cars do appear to be more feminine. Certain cars are desinged and marketed for gender, class (financial status) and lifestyle. So we have been conditioned to think along these lines. The car that stands out the most to me as a "Chick" car would be a 2002 Mustang convertable. Men just don't look right driving the newer mustangs. I apologize in adavance for my comments :) and narrow mindedness. x:-8

Im sure when you see a mini-van you think family car!

April
  • We have a new Hummer dealership in town. At least I can go by and look at them, and I thought they were maybe going to be the ultimate muscle machine for men only. Now, 10 months after the dealership opened, there are teenage girls and the soccer-mom set in their tennis-skirts scurrying all over in these things. Must be more lawyer daddies in town than I thought.
  • There is a Hummer limosine company that we drive by on the way to work. I wonder how much "off roading" it does?
  • After reviewing all the helpful and interesting posts on this thread, I’ve reached some unscientific conclusions: (1) A few vehicles are somewhat identified with gender, including but not limited to muscle cars, PT cruisers, VW beetles with or w/o the floral accent, older jeeps, and newer mustangs. (2) Nevertheless, many of us “cross-drive”, i.e., freely admit to driving and/or loving an opposite-gender-identified ride. The PT cruiser wins the prize as the tentative chick car most often identified as being enjoyed by people with a Y chromosome. (3) Not surprisingly, people have passionate automotive preferences, and invest their vehicles with a lot of emotion. Most of us, at one time or another, have experienced car lust – and by that I mean lust FOR a car, not lust IN a car, Don’s comment about footprints on the ceiling notwithstanding.

Don, thanks for thinking I’m sharp; I dined out on that for days. The rest of the story on my BF’s car: The pick-up was a reflection of his professional culture, but his heart’s desire is a mini-cooper. What he actually bought was a nissan murano. If I ever win Lotto, I’ll buy him a mini as a second car which I will borrow freely.

• I'm dumb! You'll have to tell me what a mini-cooper is. And, if you win the lottery you won't have to worry about buying him a van. He'll be needin' a Harley at that point.
  • I might need some help on the historical angle, but as far as I know, the mini-cooper -- which I think is also known as the British mini -- is a tiny BMW that kinda looks like a VW beetle that's had it's rounded top squished down flat. Several of these were featured prominently in the recent movie "The Italian Job."

A Harley might actually be bigger.
  • The Mini Cooper originally was made in England by the Austin car manufacturer beginning in the mid 50's. Very popular with club racers who would modify the engines, suspensions, wheels/tires making them roller skates you sat in. In the mid 60's Austin became BMC (I think) who made the Mini's up through the early 70's. Recently, BMW bought the name and came out with a retro version of the old Mini using BMW mechanicals and slightly updated styling. Still a little rocket especially the turbo model.