Need input of car buffs, please.

Recently, I was having a conversation with a friend about what kind of cars are clearly male or female, in terms of their likely owners. Here's the question: What constitutes a chick car? I have my own ideas, but would like to hear y'all's. For starters, is a Mazda Miata a chick car? What is the appropriate term for the male counterpart of a chick car?

If nothing else, this topic ought to fan the flames of our growing Forum battle of the sexes. (Whatever NY: This is not a lame attempt to respond to your suggestion of a women's thread -- which is a fine idea, but separate.)

Comments

• 50 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Chick and macho/muscle cars, huh? Well, I'm a chick and I drive a Monte Carlo, which is also the Chevy driven in NASCAR, so I'm not sure what that makes me, or the car!
  • Chick car? I would have to say the VW Beetle. It comes with a flower with a vase in the dash. If that's not one, I don't know what is!

Amanda
  • I agree its a chick car. But both my brother (6'4) and sign.other (6'2 and #300) are seriously considering getting one because of the head and leg room.
  • First, before answering I looked at the profile to see if Whirlwind is a man or woman so I'd know where he/she was coming from. Wouldn't ya know? No profile. There's no such thing as 'a chick car'. I know a woman who drives a John Deere tractor and I don't mess with her. I also know a man who drives an old 'Mary Kaye Pink Cadillac' and I don't mess with him either. I see women with buzzcuts in Hummers and men with ponytails in Red Miatas. I'm the perfectly trained HR mindset and wouldn't pre-judge or generalize anyone for the world. All people are equal and free spirits and worthy of acceptance and equality. You may put your feet back down now. x:-)
  • I agree with Don D. I used to own a little red miata. I only kept it for a year. It wasn't very useful in the NY winters! Oh but what fun in the summer. The dealer that sold me the car said "this car is a real chick magnet"! I know several women who drive trucks. Never thought much about it.
  • FYI, I'm a woman. I didn't mean to not have a profile - in fact, I thought I did, so I must've done something wrong when I first signed on. I'll revisit that, but meanwhile can I get extra credit for revealing that I'm 51 in an earlier post?

My personal sled is a Honda CR-V, which I've been told is a chick SUV. (For you guys with a CR-V: Don't shoot the messenger, as I disagree with this assessment.) My reason for this selection is that I am cursed with zero depth perception and I am a menace to society in anything larger, but I frequently drive around with a couple of large muddy dogs and nothing smaller is practical.

The origin of this chick vs. guy car discussion goes back many years ago, when a colleague of mine (who possibly needs neutering) referred to a Pontiac Fiero (remember those?) as a "secretary special." (I repeat, don't shoot the messenger). This came up again recently when my BF decided to trade in his big ol' pickup truck for something that could be parked in a smaller space, not to mention make it from one gas station to the next. Being ignorant about cars except that they can get you from point A to point B, with or without dogs, I was just looking for a little assistance on this puzzling subject.

• I find the PT Cruiser a chick car that guys want. Everyone I know who has one (about seven) the male "bought"it for his woman. I think the Grand National (dating myself) is a guy car - I can't touch the pedals on it; but I drive a Saturn (kind of neutral) and a Triumph TR7 (not really girly).
  • Jeep Cherokees used to be 'guy cars' until women overtook them. True of Jeeps in general. Same with Corvettes in my area. If your guy had or has a pickup, that is a good signal that he wants that image, whatever it is and might like another pickup or a really large, black SUV with chrome bumpers. If your as sharp as I think you are, you can watch him closely and see what lights him up when he passes one. Sorta like you keep one eye on him to see how he reacts to other women types. Or, lastly, ask him, "Honey, If I could buy you a new vehicle, what might it be?"
  • I am a HUGE Jeep fan. I have a Chili Pepper Wrangler.HOWEVER....They were definitly built with men in mind! I am petite, so I have had to make adjustments to the pedals and seat. They are really becoming chick-mobiles (for us to dirve, guys to gawk at!) There is no better way to get a guy to notice ya than to roll up next to them in a big ol' Jeep!
  • YES THERE IS!! WE'LL TALK SOMETIME.
  • Hmmmmmm, sounds interesting!
  • Don't get too excited, Nicole. Don is all talk.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-03 AT 03:52PM (CST)[/font][p]Awww shucks...and I was just about to dump my boyfriend! Glad I didn't make that mistake! At least I will still have someone to boss around...I mean, spend my life with!!!!!
  • I agree that the PT cruiser is a chick car but I bought mine for myself (I am female) and my two sons love to drive it. They both have souped up EL CAMINOS which I definately think are guy cars. (I don't like to drive their cars!)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-31-03 AT 08:11AM (CST)[/font][p]I "had" a PT Cruiser that I rolled and was a total loss in Jan. I loved the car and it was comfy to drive. My hubby loved driving it on the weekends but he didn't drive it everyday. I now have a GT Grand Prix and my insurance has been cancelled. I loved the car and I miss it. x:'(
  • We just bought a PT Cruiser to replace my husband's car which we totaled about a month ago. He had not considered one, but went decided to check them out at my suggestion. He loves it! Someone here at work told me they never see anyone but women driving them. Since the dealership gave us a card for a guy who started a locat Cruiser Club, that seems strange to me. Maybe the real problem is that the car doesn't have a lot of 'get up and go.' It rides wonderfully on the highway, but takes its time to get there. I guess we need a little more time to tell. x:D
  • You will love it! They are certainly a "Cruiser." I miss mine. I think they strike a cord in any "muscle car" fan - even if they aren't speed demons!
  • I don't believe automobiles have an appeal to a specific gender. That's my story and I'm sticking to it on this forum after the last 2 days.

But, I drive a big car with a V8. My wife drives a big car with a V6. And my car is bigger then her's. Draw your own conclusions.
  • Probably shouldn't, but, oh what the heck!

Ford Probe ???????????? chick magnet or chick repulser?
  • Ain't goin' there.
    x;-)

In my opinion, the Subaru Forester is a bit of a "chick car" because (a) I only see women driving them; and (b) the commercials only show women driving them; and (c) they're kind of like an oversized station wagon or an undersized SUV.

• Is it really the make or model of the vehicle or who is sitting behind the wheel? Would a 57 Chevy or an 03 Miata or PT Cruiser have the same appeal if Roseanne Barr or Hallie Berry was behind the wheel? Or how about Dustin Hoffman vs Tom Arnold? (Nothing personal about any of these people-just the first names that came to mind)

• I just sold my 1969 camaro that was show quality. I drove it very little so I could keep it that way. I am a real muscle car fan and I am female, married with 2 kids.......

• My Chick car is a Durango with the 5.9 Liter V8 - It has 94K miles and I can't bear the thought of getting rid of it. That baby will fly without even working at it. I grew up in my Dad's garage and can appreciate most vehicles - the bigger the engine - the better. The only thing that would make it better is ditch the fuel injection and go back to a 4 barrel caburetor. That's music to my ears.

Previously I drove Mustangs and a Fiero.
  • I married a country gal that would just really rather drive a truck. So it beats me what a "chic car" would be. My wife has worn out two full size four whell drive Chevy Suburbans and is about to trade her full size Yukon XL 4X4 in on another GMC Yukon Denili(spelling?) XL. She also still has the '71 Chevelle (still in very good running condition) from her college days. I drive a full size, four door (crew cab), 3/4 ton heavy duty, four wheel drive, turbo diesel chevy pick-up truck with all the extras, power everything, grill guard, running boards, CB radio, custom wheels, onStar, fog lights, heated leather seats, camper shell, sunvisor over the front windshield, mud flaps, etc.... We traded in a one ton, diesel, extended cab, 4X6 dually pickup for the 3/4 ton. Except for the past few years we have always raised horses and cattle and the big vehicles were a must then if you do your own hauling. Now we just haul boy scouts and camping gear around on the weekends.
    Have a great day,
    Dutch2
  • I'm with Don here, I just don't view vehicles as gender specific. .Since my first car.. a putrid green 1973 (?) Vega, I have driven the gamut from sedans to trucks. .guess it has depended on my life mood at the time. I recently bought a Pontiac Vibe..Cute little thing that I am really enjoying.

As an aside, I had a woman in my office yesterday complaining about her male co-worker who constantly refers to women as chicks. Couldn't help thinking about this thread. .How many of you find the term offensive?
  • I actually call my 5 year old granddaughter "little chick" or "chicklette" It just fits her ................
  • I call my blond little cutey daughter that will be 21 in January a chick. It fits perfectly for her and she loves it. She actually calls other people "chick." I think it is one of the new hot phrases for the younger group (some of them anyway).
  • I don't find it offensive at all. I am horrible about giving people little nicknames, so I would be the last person to complain about it. The only time I get offended is when someone calls me a b*@#* without knowing me...At least get to know me before getting that personal!
  • I think cars can be "chick cars" or "guy" cars. Just like cars can be "old people" cars like Buicks and Grand Marquis'. But with anything, people can be displaced. I'm a female but I loved driving (years ago) our 65 GTO - definitely a guy car with a female driver. Now I love my old people car - comfort takes the front seat now.

I'm not easily offended by nicknames, terms or endearment, or gender titles. But I don't like the "B" word either.

"Sam"
  • I don't really look at a car to determine gender of the person driving it. I drive a VW Beetle with a sunflower in the vase on the dash. My husband swears THIS IS a chick car. If, and when he drives it, of course the fist thing to go is the flower. Have a great F-R-I-D-AY!!