Happy Birthday to me!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-21-03 AT 09:40AM (CST)[/font][p]Yesterday was my birthday. I hit 35. I also got hit with a lot of old lady jokes! I got a wonderful gift from my fiance, time with my son, and a little time to just relax. I also had a long road trip yesterday and a lot of time to think and assess where I am in life now that I'm sooooo old...and I realized that I am VERY blessed with good health, family, a wonderful fiance, noisy but loving pets, and my every want and need met. Take a moment today to count your blessings, tell your loved ones that they are loved, hug your dog and squeeze your cat (not too hard!) if you have one, and remember to give yourselves a pat on the back for your accomplishments.

Comments

• 31 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Happy Birthday, fellow Leo.

WE all need your outlook on life!
  • Happy Birthday! And by the way, you're never old until you hit 70! Have a great day!

Amanda

:DD

• aingram: you are "old" when you hit 70? x:o

My grandmother turned 96 on 7/1. She still lives by herself and is now "considering" moving into a senior home but isn't sure she's ready to give up her independence yet. She relies on others to drive her around, but other than that, she does her own cooking and cleaning.

She can't see or hear much, but she's mentally sharper than most people I know!

I hope I take after her! x;-)

• I'll be hitting age 52 tomorrow, and spending next Saturday attending the wedding of my daughter and her tattooed, pierced, "goth" fiance, who is the father of her second child. The big plus - I'll be with my daughter, my son, my two step-daughters, and all three grandkids, and both my former and current husbands.

What a chance to step back and rejoice in the richness of my life! I've learned so much through the years of kid issues, divorce, remarriage, step-kid issues. My biggest lesson - the world isn't going to end if my elaborate plans for myself (and everybody else involved) don't turn out perfectly. I'm far more relaxed and accepting than I was at my younger ages, much mellower, and less likely to let the "small stuff" put me on the edge of a stroke.

I've earned all of my gray hairs - which I spend a small fortune to have covered up once a month - and wouldn't want go back to my 20's or 30's (or even 40's, for that matter). I hope that when I hit 60, I'm still reaching out to meet life's challenges with enthusiasm, and that God is still throwing me a curve ball once in a while to keep me from growing complacent!
  • I'm happy to see all the Cancer/Leos on here! I hit the big 33 on July 17th. My hubby came up big with lots of presents and even an ice cream cake with Rocky Road ice cream - yum. Of course, my 3-year-old hit me in the back with a cup of orange juice (not his best day) but I forgave him. You gotta take the bitter with the sweet, right?

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • Happy Birthday! I will turn 36 this Friday. I have a wonderful son, a supportive family and a new man in my life. And, I only have to work a half a day on my birthday. I am definitely blessed. Thanks for reminding me of how good my life is.
  • Linda, you're going to get Don mad.... he is a lot older than 35. If you think 35 is old, 50's must be ancient.

Happy Birthday!!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-21-03 AT 11:07AM (CST)[/font][p]My oldest son turns 27 tomorrow, and my middle son turns 25 Saturday. My own age doesn't bother me in the least. However, their's do!

Ah well, the biggest bother is they are both out of state and I don't get to see them.

Happy birthday to all you July babies!
  • I too am just 35. Although I was older before my purchase, the day I bought the bike I suddenly turned 35 and I have remained that age since. I play harder now, work more in the yard and enjoy it immensely, take my wife out to eat more often, cherish every living memory of my kids who are almost tetering on the nest's edge, do more stuff 'just for me' now (on rare occasions), flip fewer people off, weigh less, smile more, roll down the windows more, reach out to more and different people and am open to others and their needs much more now that I'm 35 for the second time, run more, have sex at least as much - maybe more, try more different ice cream types, climb odder rocks, polish older tombstones and am closer than ever to writing the book. I don't get mad near as often and smile when people try to tick me off. I also smile when people who are chronologically 35 try to talk about what it's like to be 35 because they actually have no idea. You aren't really 35 till you reach it like I (we) did. It's like going backwards through a water pipe at 40 miles an hour. You don't know the experience until you've had it. Happy day to you and me both. And to Ray who's agitating me. x:-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-21-03 AT 11:51AM (CST)[/font][p]Don is experiencing his 2nd childhood.x}>

Actually, I like Don's philosophy. Hopefully, 10 years from now he will still be thinking like a 35 year old.

Don you bought a motorcycle and I went the opposite direction... I bought the proverbial "old people's" car - it actually came from Florida.
  • Don, you may be right but I won't know for sure for another 13 years, but for now I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. I will be 37 in October and I am married to a man who turns 50 in September. (I'm having a surprise party for him in August - pray he doesn't find out!)

I believe I know what it's like to be 35 (36 in my case). I appreciate every moment of every day. I have a list in my head of things I want to accomplish before I turn 80. I add to that list daily. Listed below are just a few of the examples I checked off my list:

run a marathon; jump out of a plane (yes it was a perfectly good airplane but what a rush!); own a home in the country with some acreage; start a garden (never had one of my own until this year - it's so much fun to see things grow that you planted.)

I try to do all of the things you mentioned. Ok, maybe not the tombstone part which I admire you for doing or the book writing but you know the parts about playing harder, working in my yard, cherishing my kids, smiling more, etc... I appreciate my health, husband, kids, home, family, etc. more than I can possibly tell you.

Maybe what you're trying to tell us "35" year olds is that we'll appreciate it even that much more in another 15 years. I hope I'm around to experience it.
  • Happiest of Birthdays to you both.
  • Here's the funny part. I just got back from a little birthday lunch with some coworkers, and another coworker wishes me a happy birthday. She asks how old I am, and I tell her. She shrieks "35?! Man! I'm only 30!" OK, two demerits for asking, two more for reacting. I told her if she didn't have a present in her hand for me to go away. She did. Peace is wonderful. Happy birthday to the other Cancers and Leos!
  • Have a present in her hand or go away?
  • Leslie, your son and I share the exact same birthday to the year! I'll be 27 tommorow also. Happy Birthday to all the July birthday's! We always got left out during school because our birthdays were never celebrated in class like the rest of the kids. :)
  • Very cool. Can't see your profile because it's disabled, but he's single!
  • But....only if 'it's' a woman's response. BTW, that list contains something insurance will not cover and it ain't gardening; it's skydiving, so don't start that at 35 or 50 either one unless you're a gambler!
  • Very true Don. That didn't occur to me until I read your post.

Another thing to add to that list - quad riding. We've been doing some rides with sheer drop offs. Scares the beejesus right out of me. But I keep trucking.
  • Leslie, I meant that went away, no present. Actually, that was kind of a present!
  • I would go quad riding but have no idea what it is? Is it legal? Moral?
  • Oh yeah they're legal, four wheelers, ATVs (all terain vehicles).

Here's what I drive:

[url]http://www.polarisindustries.com/product/detail.asp?contentid=02atvrecumagnum500RMK[/url]

Here's what my boyfriend drives - he's really crazy:

[url]http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo.asp?lid=1&lc=atv&cid=1&mid=46[/url]

They're a lot of fun, as long as you stay rubber side down and helmet side up.

• Happy Birthday to LindaD and HRCathy! HRCathy, we share the same birthday, but not the same year. I'll be 58 on Friday, enjoying and appreciating life more now than ever. Don's right, you do learn to appreciate things more as you age, or at least, you better. I wouldn't go back. I have a family which keeps life interesting, a great job, and a cabin and 240 acres in the northwoods where I can retreat to when I need to recharge. Life is good!
  • Hunter just suddenly became the most popular guy on the forum, man or woman! 240 acres and a cabin in the woods! What a friend we all have! Put me down for hooch and steaks.
  • Any time you're in the area, stop in, we'll do the hooch and steaks. Do you prefer beef or venison? Not only do we have 240 acres, but it joins the National Forest, so we have thousands of acres to play on, a trout stream, etc. Come on up! Bring your quad. : )
  • See Don, Hunter1 knows what quads are.
  • Hell, I thought he was talking to me about bringing 4 friends. I didn't realize he was telling you to bring your ATV. I wish he'd tell us the land has been clear cut and the lake is dry and there's an upwind papermill 3 miles off...just so I can quit dreaming about that place!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-03 AT 12:51PM (CST)[/font][p]Don: I didn't mention a lake because there isn't one. We do share about a 30 acre beaver pond with the National Forest. The closest paper mill is about 50 miles away. We'll do some selective cutting this winter. If I ever post my picture on this site, it'll be of me on our 112 foot long vehicle bridge which we hand built over the creek which is 50 yards from the cabin. What can I say?
    Whoops, how did this happen?
  • Sounds good, Hunter. Maybe it's time that we had our first annual Forumite Retreat! You've got room! x;-)
  • Happy Birthday to all. Mine was Saturday. I think I'm the oldest July birthday. I was 48, but have the spirit of a 25 year old. Unfortunately, it's being kept captive in a 48 year old body!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]