Language Barrier?????

I just got off the phone with an UI judge from Syracuse. He was conducting a hearing for a former employee who had been disqualified from UI for lying about his reason for separation.

The former ee had requested vacation and additional leave of absense last November. He would not tell his supervisor why he needed the time off. The super granted his vacation time, but said he needed to see me for the LOA. He never did contact me. When his vacation was up and he did not return, I called him. His wife answered and would not give me any information, but said she would let him know I needed to talk to him. He called me 3 days later. When asked why he needed a LOA, he hesitated and said personal family reasons. I told him he had to request in writing a LOA using the correct form. I offered to send it to him and asked for an address. He hesitated and I offered to send it to a family member in Boston where he was staying. He said he didn't know anybody up there. So, I asked him why he said he was there on family business if he didn't have family there. He just stuttered and would not answer. I faxed and mailed a hard copy to the hotel he was staying in and told him he had until Friday of the next week to return it. It finally arrived the following Monday. By then, we terminated his employment for failure to appear or call. Automatic resignation.

When he applied for UI he told them he was laid off due to lack of work. After they talked to me, he was denied UI.

When the judge had us both on the phone, the former ee acted dumb - didn't understand the language. He has been in the country for at least 10 years or more, we used him to help translate to other Laotians, he had excellent command of English. He did not understand when the judge said he would be under oath and have to answer some questions. He played the "I don't understand" card. he now must get a translator and reapply. If he does, he will argue that he never understood me, either. This should be interesting.

I hung up and shouted "Argh!!!!" Or something like that.

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is a real sticking point with me! A few years ago I had to conduct business in Mexico City for a client. It took about three trips to finalized the business transaction. While in Mexico the citizens did not stop speaking spanish and start speaking english just because I arrived. If I didn't know spanish or have a spanish translator to bad for me. On the other hand when the mexician folks and others come into the United States they expect or I should say DEMAND, the citizens to stop speaking english and speak spanish to accomodate them. Not to mention they want english written information provided in spanish as well. At this rate our schools will stop teaching english to our children and start teaching spanish as the primary language. Already our children our encouraged to learn spanish as early as middle school. Just doesn't sit right with with me. That's my two cents...
  • Related story: We have one 'Spanish Speaking' employee. Two years ago 9 were hired as a pilot project (have to call it something). I put Spanish Speaking in quotes because a translator told me last week, "This guy has absolutely no desire or intention of learning English. I've known his family for several years. They do not speak any English and have a satellite TV system programmed to receive only stations in Mexico. And he does not even really speak Spanish. He speaks a strange dialect from a particular area of South America, and it occasionally includes a few Spanish words. He has no formal education and has no desire to communicate". Those are the remarks of the interpreter who dedicates much of his personal time to a "Mexican community" and improving their lot in the area. We had brought the interpreter in because the guy could not understand his review. I didn't make this mess, am just trying to sort it. I agree that we should not feel compelled to accommodate the masses who come here and cannot and will not make an effort to learn the primary language, English. Nor should we hire them as a social program project to show we are caring. To do so compromises our ISO program, our overall safety program, our evacuation emergency program and our work instructions procedures. If you cannot communicate, you compromise all of those immediately. Rather than solving a problem, it often creates one. In anticipation of responses, don't preach to me about being unfeeling or discriminating illegally. I'll give anybody a chance who is qualified, energized, motivated and willing. And qualified includes being able to communicate inside the walls of the company.
  • I agree with you completely. Learn our language. I have the same problem but at a much higher level. I recruite engineers. You can't believe how many are coming out of college with advanced degrees and can't communicate. They get their undergraduate degree from China or Africa or India. They get into our graduate programs (supposedly they took a test for English proficiency but now the schools are questioning this because they actually can't speak or write it. They probably had someone else take the test for them) and are angry when a professor gives them a "C" because they couldn't communicate what they learned. Then they are angry because no employer wants them because they can't communicate orally or in writing. We hired someone with a Masters in Stormwater Management from Marquette University. She grew up in Poland and got her undergraduate degree there. She never took any English classes. She learned by watching TV. While she was smart, she couldn't write a letter to a client. She couldn't write a report. I asked her how she got through the graduate program. She said the professor that she worked for was from Pakistan and he didn't care about her communication skills because his were so bad! She quit in frustration before we fired her. Schools do not do students any favors by not requiring a high level of English proficiency.
  • We have several Spanish-speaking housekeepers at our hotel properties and it is very frustrating to try to train them or communicate with them on more than just a basic level because they speak no English. We have offered to pay for ESL courses for them and have had no takers. Fortunately we do have a couple of bilingual employees who step up to the plate and translate for us if we need to communicate important information. But the frustration is enormous. I think we should do what Finland does (I think it's Finland). If you emigrate to Finland, you have two years to learn the language. The government will pay for the language courses. You must take a proficiency test at the end of the two years and if you don't pass your visa is cancelled and you are deported.
  • I agree... However in reality I think as far as the U.S. is concerned that wouldn't be politically correct! That is one of the reasons we are in the shape we are in now with this language problem. I can only see it getting worse.
  • Just had an employee who got some sort of exemption so that he could take the test to become a citizen in their native language. He is now an American citizen. Along the same politically incorrect lines, I really hate seeing instructions at the voting booth in any language but English.
  • Looking down the road, do you ever get the feeling that we the citizens of the U.S. are assisting and financing our own take over? A take over without firing one shot. I saw one study indicating that the spanish speaking population of the U.S. will exceed the english speaking population in just a few years. The study indicated that that english speaking families have approximately 2 children per family where spanish speaking families have approximately 5 children per family. We cater to their language both in the written and spoken word. We provide endless welfare and medical support for their numerous mothers and children primarily in their native tongue. We do all of this to be politically correct. Just my thoughts...
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-03 AT 11:27AM (CST)[/font][p]Looks our passionate side is showing again. I was beginning to think no one would respond to this thread.

One of my pet peeves is just as Jimlegal said, we go to another country and are forced to learn their language - but, don't require the same for people who come here. I have all the respect in the world for immigrants who make an honest effort to communicate with me.

Several Southeast Asian families have moved into my neighborhood. And before I'm accused of being racist, many are excellent neighbors - but I get a little angry with the teens that like to cut through my backyard running through my gardens. I enjoy just watching how they live. The kids sound and act like any other normal red-blooded Americans. They can toggle between languages with ease. The parents speak mostly their primary language and use English only with those who do not speak their native language. It is almost like reliving history. I imagine that when the Polish and the Chinese/Japanese, and the Irish immigrated at the end of the 19th and in the early 20th centuries, it was much the same. When these neighbor kids grow up and have kids of their own, much of their parent's native language will be forgotten.

Many years ago in the early 80's when many Asian boat people were arriving, our company executives got the brilliant idea that we should hire the Asians because of their work ethic and they work cheap - we could pay them less than the "Mericun's". Only problem... well several problems... it was hard to communicate, we hired interpreters and then 2nd level interpreters so some instructions went through 2 interpretations - English to Vietnamese to Laotian. The Asians soon found out they were paid less for the same work - that made them feel sooooo good already being in a strange land. The Asians had the same work ethic as us red-blooded Americans - they learned the shortcuts and the tricks like everyone else so their performance was equal (but less pay). They would pool their money and rent a cheap apartment - multiple families in one apartment. Then buy expensive muscle cars - Firebirds, mostly. Then the government subsidized their college education, classes paid for and a living stipend on top of that. Guess how the natives felt about that one? Big fiasco.

When I told a couple of supervisors of the story I orginally posted, they laughed incredulously. They knew this guy had excellent command of English.

Wow, guess I got carried away. Sorry about that.
  • I agree with most of you, and Andy Rooney (on the other post). It is especially difficult when you go somewhere to learn and your teacher doesn't speak English. My husband went to a technical school and 80-90% of his teachers did not speak English very well. He and his fellow students had to learn from the course books. So, why are we paying so much to go to a school to learn on our own anyways? Something needs to be done and soon!

• I agree that when someone plays the "I don't understand" card and you know very well that they do, it is frustrating. They are abusing the system that is trying to help them. But, on the other hand, maybe if Americans had better skills and work ethic, we wouldn't have to fill jobs with all these immigrants that are coming to this country. When I send applicants to our preemployment physicals, usually it's the Americans that come back with dirty drug screens, not the foreigners. Unless of course the Americans are on parole/probation and have to take drug screens on a regular basis anyway. Whenever I get frustrated with people, I try to imagine, "What would it take for me to pick up, leave my family and everything I know behind, to go to a foreign country where I don't speak the language to try to find a job?" And these are people that don't have a third of the education that we do. When I remind myself of that, I realize that they must be in a very desperate situation. Here's an intersting question: How many of you have moved to a foreign country (not transferred by your company) to work? How many of you speak a foreign language?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-23-03 AT 08:12AM (CST)[/font][p]I have never moved to a foreign country, nor do I have any desire to move to a foreign country. However if I did move to a foreign country I would learn their language. Interesting enough I have never had an ee who did not understand their pay check!!!
  • That's a similar argument I gave when we switched from a time card to a time clock that scans their hands. They have to enter an ID number and then their hand and everyone is complaining that it is too hard. I tell the supervisors, "They understand their remote controls that are bigger than their face, satellite TV, cell phones and ATMs, they can handle the hand punch time clock.
  • Additionally, they always understand the complicated system of converting their paychecks into U.S. Currency, converting U.S. Currency into a international money order, then obtain international postage to send an international letter with the money order to their family members in their home country. For the most part it boils down to they understand what they want when it is favorable to them, when that favor changes they then don't understand a thing.
  • The issue shouldn't be people speaking foreign languages. My grandparents were all immigrants and didn't speak English when they first came here. However, they learned to speak English. I couldn't care less if there are foreign language newspapers, tv stations etc. Almost every weekend, there is a (pick your country) parade. However, I do think that in order to become an American citizen, you should be able to speak, read and write in English. I believe that instructions for using voting machines and explanations of issues on the ballot that are handed out in polling places should be English.
  • Ruskanen raises some good points. I was concerned when I started this thread that some might perceive me as a prejudiced jerk. Our problems are across the board, immigrants and "natives". And yes, all of my drug failures were non-immigrants.

But, immigrants claiming ignorance is frustrating. And often these people who have immigrated were some of the more educated people, the cream of the crop, in their home country. So, their ability to learn is probably higher than many others.

Whatever, we build voting machines at my place of employment and we are campaigning to get the contract for NY state - 30,000 new machines. All the new electronic voting machines are programmed for English or Spanish. So, at the touch of a button you can vote either way.
  • The immigrants that I get are not the educated ones. They are either Hispanics with educations stopping in grade school or refugees from countries with natural disasters or political problems. They didn't come here because they wanted to learn the language and assimilate into our culture. They came here as a fact of survival. They don't always have the luxury of taking language classes. At my facility they are working 10 hour shifts. And, it's hard to learn a foreign language when you can barely read and write your native language. Many people say, "if I moved to a foreign country (and usually people who say this wouldn't move anyway) I would learn the language", but I've seen entire retirement communties in various towns in Mexico where the retirees don't speak the language. And what about all the military families that are on bases in foreign countries? How many of them learn the language of the country that they have been transfered to? We as Americans are just as guilty as moving abroad and not learning the language. They don't call us the "ugly American" for nuthin'. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad I live here, and it's because I feel fortunate that we have many opportunites and freedoms that others don't have.
  • After reviewing the responses on this subject, it was good to finally see KS Ruskanen's response. My mother came from Mexico after marrying my father who was a first generation American. Her education went as far as grade school, therefore it wasn't all that easy to learn the language. However, over the years, especially once her children started school, she felt that she needed to learn the english language in order to keep up with our own education. She worked cleaning homes, working in factories, etc., to keep shoes on our feet. Since then she has become a fairly successful real estate agent and her own children work in various industries from telecommunications, software, owning a construction company, etc. She worked hard and taught us the same priniciple of a good work ethic along with the ability to speak two languages.

I agree, that many American people do not make the effort to speak the language when visiting a foreign country. My step-son is in the Air Force and he is just one example of that while stationed in Germany. I have worked with large corporations throughout the world and found that there is a joke out there in the world, especially in Europe. 'If you speak three languages you're tri-lingual, if you speak two then you're bilingual, if you only speak one then you're American.'
  • Sounds like your mother is the exact opposite of what we were "complaining" about. Even though, as you put it, her education was minimal, she made the effort to learn the language and communicate. She sounds like an excellent success story. Thanks for adding the balance with a first person account.
  • I agree that it is hard to learn a new language when you are struggling just to keep a roof over your head and food on the table. If things are not quite so stressed, then maybe you can pick it up watching tv, listening to the radio, or just being out and about. However, if you are going to move somewhere PERMANENTLY then you should at least make the effort to learn the local language. Of course, if you are only moving to a new country for a year or two, then I can see why your circumstances would be different. If it were me though, I would at least try.

As far as Americans not learning other languages goes, I think we are in a slightly different position then those in Europe. If you live in England then it is very likely that you will visit France in your lifetime, and probably you will make many trips there. You will also probably meet many French people visiting your own country. It makes it easier to learn and remember your language training. Also, you might well be in the way to learn other languages and have a lot of exposure to them.

Speaking for myself, I have only met one french person in my entire life. If I go 1,000 miles on my vacation, I am still probably going to be in the US. Percentage-wise, I really don't believe that as many Americans are going to visit foreign countries as those in Europe do. Thus we have less reason to be fluent in other languages. Which is probably why it is not a requirement in many schools (I never went to one that required it anyway.) Still, I think it is only polite to at least try to learn a few basic phrases before visiting somewhere. And if you can't find someone who speaks English where you are going, you have only yourself to blame.

BTW, I think it is interesting that pilots all over the world are required to be able to speak English. I saw a program on it once, and a French pilot flying for a French airline landing in a city in France was still required to do all his communicating with ground control in English. I have always wondered how that came about.

Good luck!
  • My grandparents came from Europe in the early 1900's. When they got here they didn't want to speak their native language--they wanted to learn English and after a fashion they did. They also insisted that their five girls learned and spoke English as well. I too am tired of the "playing stupid" games that are played by employees who only want to understand English when it benefits them. If I make a mistake about their vacation or paycheck they are real quick to point out my mistake (how did they figure it out if they can't understand?). I say in America English should be the official language. I have no problems with people speaking their native tongue among themselves but learn English before you apply for a job. It is so frustrating for a HR person to try to explain benefits, etc. to someone who just looks at you like you have two heads. Thanks for letting me vent and I hope no one will be turning us in to the authorities. x:o
  • Just because we're HR professionals doesn't mean we can't have opinions. Personally I have found this thread to be pretty refreshing. Nice to know we're not all produced in cookie-cutter fashion by a politically correct educational environment. And I think we all know when we can speak freely and when it's not appropriate.
  • Parabeagle, why didn't you say that yesterday when the women were ripping me to shreds. /:)
  • It was too enjoyable just sitting back and watching the fun... x;-) But I promise the next time you get into trouble I'll try and say something sage and wise to save your keester. (Can I say "keester" on the forum?)
  • I'd like to say I'll never get in trouble again, but... Don has this knack of dragging me in.

Not to be pedantic, but it is spelled keister. I mention that only because there was a guy working for me nearly 20 years ago whose last name was Keister. He pronounced it with a long "i" as in kite. Some of his family pronounced it "Keester". He is now a State Trooper. "Why Officer Keester, of course I wasn't speeding." x:=|

• Now Ray - we weren't too bad - only responded in kind.

Arizona is a border state. The Mexican population is huge. How many are legal is another thing entirely. However, there are positions that only they seem willing to work. So we have Spanish-speaking supervisors, and offer ESL classes.

Frankly, they've not been very well attended. Would love to make them a requirement of employement.
  • Been there done that when it comes to language confusion. I lived for a while in Brazil along the Paraguayan border before returning to the United States. Knowing some foreign languages has come in handy at times. I was in an elevator once when some latino custodians came in and began talking about my co-worker (female) and being obscene. When we came to our floor, I turned to my co-worker apologized for what was about to happen and began to tell them that it was quite impolite to speak another language in a room where there were others who didn't understand and that I was going to report them to their manager when I was done with my meeting. I still cherish the memory of how they looked as the door closed on them.

As far as some of the other thoughts on this topic, being a Native American (American Indian, Indigenous, whatever) I always laugh at people when they complain around me that people should learn the language when they come to a country. I then ask them if they speak ______(insert local Native language)___? But that's just to be a pain. I personally think that everyone should be required to take a test for English to get a work authorization or be denied the ability to work in the US.
  • Just got the notice that this guy's next hearing is this Wednesday. This time there will be a different judge and the former ee will probably have an interpreter. Again, it will be a phone hearing. He will claim lack of understanding and I will say he understood just fine. Yeah, Mr. Avery can you prove that?

BTW, this guy's first name is Deth, pronounced "death". I called the judge's office today, and the clerk told me they are all laughing about his name. At least they have a little humor.