Is this for real

I am a new user to this system and was amazed at the amount of spare time some of you HR types must have to post such silly stuff. What does anyone else think about this? :)?

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you feel it is silly, feel free not to read it. .:) While I can not speak for anyone but myself, I am quite an efficient worker. I am never here if I have other work to do. In my opinion, if you were to measure the "silly" against the wisdom, education, experience etc. that is here, there would be no contest. Work, life etc. can be stressful. . Silly can be most therapeutic
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-03 AT 02:04PM (CST)[/font][p]Amen, Sonny. Yes, I do spend some time on the forum, but it is also very beneficial. The first post I initiated was on finger painting (if you really want to know, look it up) and I received some excellent advice. More importantly, from the personal standpoint, my VP was beginning to think I was avoiding the issue. I was able to show him the advice I received from professionals all over the country and how it matched what we had been doing. It lent credibility to my decisions and actions.

As far as the humorous posts in this conference, I have made several new friends that have been a great support. As a result of the silly stuff we share, we tend to listen to each other a little more closely on the serious stuff. I think it helps to improve our interaction. I can get in and out of this forum in a matter of minutes. I helps to read and type quickly.

Many of us have said we are addicted to this forum. I'd like to believe not just for the silly stuff, but because it is a tool to help us be better all-around HR people.

Read the thread "Something Great Happened Today". That is what it is all about. Being a positive influence on others and being able to share our stories.
  • We are all entitled to our opinions but speaking on behalf of all of the 'forum junkies' I believe most of us find it a great reprieve from the chaos in our jobs. It's a great way to not only escape for a few minutes a few times most days but the wealth of information and knowledge that make up the forum is priceless.

My work always gets done...on time...but whenever I get a 'free' minute I check out what's going on with everyone else. It's always nice to know you're not alone. I'm relatively new to the forum so I don't have the relationships that a lot of the users have but it's fun to participate.

Thanks to all who offer advice, guidance and most of all bring a smile to my day!
  • I whole-heartedly agree with my fellow forumites. 5-10 minutes on the forum a day helps keep many of us sane in an otherwise crazy job! If you're so concerned with how "silly" it is - don't read it.
  • It is good to see that HR types are still passionate people! :)
  • I notice my response has been deleted so I won't risk another one. It looked good as long as it stayed up though.
  • Why was Don's response deleted?
  • He used the three letter word for a donkey's behind about the original poster's screen name. I thought it was very appropriate!

Amanda

x}>
  • I believe it was because he used the other word for a donkey in his post.

My stance on the forum - There is room for everyone here! silly and the sober, young and the older, experienced and the beginners... That's why we like it! and it is "for real"
  • I notice that the one who originally criticized us for spending time here and being silly is now responsible for about every other post on this thread. I really think she just felt left out and wanted us to invite her to play. I have figured out that her name is Debbie and she is an Auburn graduate with a fetish for The Flintstones. Look at the screen name. (This is my cleaned-up post)
  • Sorry my name is not Debbie, but I do like Auburn. Thank you so very much for letting me play it has been fun.
  • I am very sorry I missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Come on in and enjoy yourself, UABADABADEB. You'll like it here! By the way, cool name. Does it have anything to do with Fred Flintstone?
  • Amen to everyone's comments!!
  • Well, let's see.... the Forum has several areas i.e. FLMA, Wage and Hour, Benfits, etc. If this particular one bothers you, do not click on it. Because you are a newbe, (new to the Forum) you have no idea of the origin of this particular site. The popularity it enjoys is because it lets us vent, laugh, whine, or just smile. If you don't understand, sit back and learn. It will be a good growing experience as well as making one better HR material. AND, I promise not to make fun of your screen name.
  • I got here at 7, it's now 3:09. I swallowed lunch in about 10 minutes. And I just got to read this thread. Gee Don, wish I had seen the original.
  • I like to finish my day on the forum. It's now 6:35 p.m. and everyone else has gone home. I check out the serious stuff during the day, but like to read this thread to end the day on a good note.

Don, I'm sorry I missed your first post. The writer must not only be new to the forum, but also not an "HR Type". ...That gets back to just letting anyone in the door!
  • Uh oh, I just realized ABADABADEB is from Maryland. I hope this person isn't a HE working in my company's corporate headquarters and just happens to be my boss. If so, it's been nice knowing you people.
  • If you think I have a "TON" of spare time, please come to my office. If this is what you call spare time, you might need to get out more. This is my therapy time. I should be paying everyone in this forum for taking the stress out of my life!!!

I have learned more in this postings, all subjects, not just the fun ones, than I could ever learn in a million years. People have great advice, and even when they don't know an answer, someone is always willing to point you in the right direction, which is wonderful.

Maybe you need to be a bit more open-minded, and you too will learn more about your profession. I have nothing but kudos and thanks for everyone who is in this forum.
  • This is my favorite part of the forum. We can all relax for a moment, tell jokes, and yes, be silly. The same people who advise, quote regulations, are businesslike and professional and guide us all on the other parts of the forum are like buddies here, cutting up and making us smile. As for free time, HA! I have none, but I love being busy and getting things done. Still, this is a bit of an oasis, and it's a good place to take a second to smile and regroup.
  • Amen to all.

This is the place where we play wonderful mind games (and old age games) and socialize with our peers. It is also where we can find a shoulder to cry on and a friend to laugh with.

It is also where we are treated to occasional pictures of our fellow HRers and, while, my favorite area, this isn't the only the only forum I check.

Soooooo.......hopefully my repeating everyone else's feelings isn't a waste of time - but a good intro into the world of HR cyberspace.
  • Sorry I was off on Friday and missed this one. Sometimes in the world of HR when I just can't take another complaint or another crisis and I think OK this is it I'm going off the deep end. I just click on Employer's Forum, come to this section and I actually can smile. On days when there is only 1 crisis instead of 10, you can read the threads and learn a thing or two. I know there are a few of us who were never formally trained in HR and it's the most valuable learning tool I have found. I never knew where to ask questions before. Now I know whatever happens I'm not alone. So call it silly, but I call it a life saver!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-21-03 AT 02:02PM (CST)[/font][p]Sorry I was off on Friday and missed this one. In the world of HR when I just can't hear another complaint or deal with another crisis and I think OK I'm going to go off the deep end I click on Employer's Forum. I go to this section and it never fails to make me smile. On days when there is only 1 crisis instead of 10, I read through the threads and learn a thing or two. I know a lot of us were never formally trained in HR, this Forum is the most valuable tool I have found. I never knew where to ask questions before. Now I know I'm not alone. So call it silly, I call it a life saver.

Sorry I thought my first response didn't post. It's Monday forgive me.
  • I assume this poster is not of the HR ilk and therefore does not understand our way of life. I suspect they are an accountant or some other less humor- appreciating individual.
  • Either that or someone up in The Forum offices, agitatin' agin.
  • I noticed this interloper has 5 posts, 4 of which are on this thread. They haven't come back since last Friday. Must be they are too busy, unlike us.
  • Right now I am working on our annual Affirmative Action Report. Needless to say this is not one of my favorite tasks. My boss at corporate usually has one of his assistants rip it apart looking for the minuteist (is that a word?) error. He just thrives on pointing out my errors. Needless to say, I'll be visiting the forum often. So, please be kind to me.
  • I read all the categories daily, unless I'm out of the office. I read HR-de-har-har while I eat lunch at my desk. I read only the topics whose titles intrigue me, when I'm in a rush.

YABBADABBADOO, x:D (sorry, I'm too lazy to read back and look up the spelling of your name) I also learned a few tips by reading the FAQ section, that will help you move through this stuff a bit faster. There is a "mark all" and "read new" function that helps you weed out the older stuff.

It does take some time to "Forum", but is absolutely positively worth it. I've learned (and am still learning) tons!
  • Here's what I think...that we have wasted too much time and effort on someone who doesn't appreciate HR and the need for a break from it all. Who says we can't be successful at our jobs and still check the forum? It's a much needed respite from the insanity of our jobs!