Something great happened today!

I have two sisters and one brother, the eldest of us four kids. He is my favorite, and we have a lot of fun together. He called out of the blue and asked if he could spend time with us next weekend and again in August while he's travelling on business! My family isn't very close, and we haven't seen each other more than twice in four years, so I'm thrilled! I'm already making plans and really looking forward to this. It made my day! Any of you have something great going on?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am spending time with family this weekend also. I still have a lot of family in Minnesota, so my mom and I are taking a girls trip up there this weekend to see everyone. I can't wait. For those of you who don't know, my mom has been very ill and is having more tests next week, so I am thrilled to be spending time with her.

• That's great. All 3 of my kids are grown up and 2 have moved away out of state. Of course when they were younger, and at home, they never would have thought of each other as friends. But, they are starting to develop a much closer relationship. My 2 "boys" will talk on the phone or instant message often. And they even recognize their sister as a real person worth talking to. Just recently, my younger son visited his brother and sister-in-law for a long weekend. Drove from NY to Ohio on his own for the first time. It's wonderful seeing your kids become real adults.
  • My three sons (who are all grown) and I are going on a road trip back to Michigan to visit relatives for a couple days. The wives are staying home and letting us guys do a road trip. What's nice is that we're all Dead Heads and once in awhile throw in some String Cheese Incident or Big Wu, so the car music won't be a problem. Plus we all like the same kind of beer.....cold.....once we get there.....of course.
  • I'm not sure how "great" this is, but a week from tomorrow, my daughter (age almost 25) will be marrying the father of the second of her two children. I have mixed feelings - her "intended" is one of these "gothic" types - multiple tattoos and piercings, wears his fingernails filed to a point and painted either black or opaque white, and usually has on more eye makeup than my beautiful, intelligent, preppie-type daughter. On the plus side, he stays home and takes care of the kids while she works (he blames his unemployment on the fact that employers judge him based on the number and location of visible piercings) - he's always been just wonderful with the kids, who are age almost 3 and 19 months).

My first husband, who is a Lutheran lay minister, will be performing the ceremony in the back yard of their little rented house.

I'll post an update after the deed is done, to say whether it turned out to be great or a disaster!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-03 AT 01:03PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-03 AT 01:02 PM (CST)[/font]

My guys (hubby, 2 sons, 20 yrs old and 14 yrs. old) are all headed off to Boy Scout Camp tomorrow for 9 days. It's a great time for me every year. I don't have to feel I have to rush home every night and perform a magic trick to get dinner ready, the phone might ring and be for me, nobody else will have gone through the mail before me and the house will be in the same condition when I get home as when I left in the morning (as in no wet towels and swim stuff, no dirty dishes sitting in the sink). I'm going to take a couple of vacation days while they are gone; one day to get food ready for visitor's Sunday and the day after to recoup from the drive and heat exhaustion. By the time they return, I'm always lonesome and really missing the hugs and hub-bub, but the first few days are just, ahhhhhhhhhh. They have a great time every year, can't wait to go and hate to leave to return to real life. So it's a win-win for everyone!
  • My special occasion happened on July 2. My youngest son graduated from boot camp and is now an official US Marine. My older son (a Marine also) had just transferred from Japan to Camp Pendleton, CA and was able to make it to the ceremony. Now the cat & I have an empty, quiet house to ourselves!
  • Family is great, isn't it? My two brothers and I have been close most of our adult lives, and we all have talents in building/remodeling, so we do things all the time. Three weeks ago we laid a cherry floor in a nephew's house, last weekend we put a new roof on another nephew's house, this weekend I'm heading up a crew to build a deck around my daughter and son-in-law's pool. Ten years ago, I built my own house (everything except insulation, cement, and heating) with the help of family, and twelve years ago we built our hunting 'cabin' where just the men in the family get away for one week in the fall to do 'manly' (read that disgusting) things without our spouses. We all enjoy the physical nature of the work (none of us have physical jobs), and time spent with family. And, our children are following in our footsteps. Hooray!
  • Mine is simple - my son, who is 22, brough a girl home for us to meet. We all loved her! They seemed perfect together!
  • Mine doesn't happen for a few more weeks. My two oldest sons are coming home on Aug 15th (both live in the Bay area) and hopefully my brother from Denver. Then on the 16th the whold fam damily is getting together for a picture to give the folks for Christmas. We're about 35 strong, so it's going to be quite the event!
  • I am going to Ft. Robinson, NE in two weeks for a family reunion. My boys (21 mo's, 3 years) haven't seen their 96 year old great grandma in over a year.

It's been the same amount of time since my husband, kids and I have been with my parents and my brothers all at the same time.