Weird Dreams

So, I wake up this morning remembering that last night I dreamed I had a pet snake...a very large pet snake who apparently would listen to me when I called it's name...

Then somehow, I ended up living in a house that is not the one I currently live in...

Freud where are you when I need you? x:-/

Have you had any weird dreams? Ever tried to figure out what they mean? Any recurring ones?

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-03 AT 09:05AM (CST)[/font][p]What was the snake's name? That would be very revealing! I dream weird things all the time - we are setting off some bug bombs here at work today after everyone leaves to stop a gnat infestation, and last night I dreamt about every kind of imaginable bug! If you can remember the details of the dream, the symbolism combined with what's going on your life are usually pretty easy to piece together, at least for me. My most frequent recurring dreams are work related - reliving the day's events usually, but I have dreamt about being at work either naked, inappropriately dressed (pajamas or bummy clothes), or no makeup - that'd make it a nightmare! I don't know if that's vulnerability, insecurity, or what - maybe it's just a signal that I need to do some laundry.
  • I often have dreams about places I have never been and then I visit them in real life. I remember the first time I did this as a child, I dreamed I was in a house with a very unique mirror in the living room. I later visited a house I had never been to and there was the mirror! Weird!

I also am visited by deceased relatives and we have "conversations". This usually happens very soon after they pass on. One was from my brother explaining how he died in his accident and another was from a friend I knew for 30 years who died suddenly. He just wanted to tell me he was sorry he didn't have time to say goodbye.

I just got used to these things and accept them. They don't scare me anymore...it's just part of my psyche.

• I too have also had those dreams where I speak with a relative who is deceased. In my case, it's my father. In the beginning it was a "just wanted to stop to see that you were okay" kind of deal, then it was more of a rememberance type of dream...the house from childhood, he and I chatting, etc. Still every so often I dream about him and the house I grew up in.

As far as the snake, no, I don't remember the name.

I too sometimes dream about work, but nothing quite like Linda! Thinking about dreams now that I've had, I remember one that has occured a lot and it would seem my husband has had the same dream -- have you? Basically in the dream, my teeth are either breaking up or crumbling and falling out. I find it strange that my husband has had similar dreams. Talk about weird!
  • I have had that tooth dream too! I used to have it all the time and I'd wake up panicked and check my mouth...turns out I grind my teeth real bad when I'm sleeping.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-03 AT 09:11AM (CST)[/font][p]Linda, I hope your dreams about work don't come true.

I only have weird dreams after a later dinner of pizza and hot wings.
  • Frued would have you believe that the snake represents a certain part of a mans anatomy in your dream x:-8, however you can interpret your dream however you like. Perhaps snakes represent evil to you and you feel there is a evil person creeping into your life??? Go deep Ray, search for the meaning in your mind!
    :-?

There is a website that is supposed to interpret dreams
    [url]www.freakydreams.com[/url]

April

• Lately I have been having dreams about work. One of the most recent ones, I had a fish tank in my office that contained a large eel named Chris. It just kept staring at me the entire dream.
  • I have several dreams a night and can always relate every detail the next morning. I have wacky dreams that go on and on and don't make sense.

The most annoying thing is when I dream I'm wandering my house, looking for the source of noise. I can't find the noise, I keep wandering, and I realize that the noise is actually music. Or news. Finally, when I can't find it or make it stop, I realize that my alarm clock has been playing music for the better part of a half hour and now I'm getting up late. If only the alarm woke me up instead of filling my dreams.

Sometimes when I finally do get up, I'm in the shower and I "know" what the news is, or I know the weather, because it "came to me" in a dream. If only I could get my alarm clock to play something educational, I could learn while I sleep. Multi-tasking!
  • I hope the dreams about work don't come true, either! I have dreamt about teeth, too - sometimes my teeth will crumble, sometimes they all just fall out, other times they are very loose and I can push them out with my tongue. There is never any pain, though. I've read that this is a sign of stress. I tell you all what - if after four years of braces and two pending oral surgeries, MY TEETH BETTER NEVER FALL OUT!
  • Well it's good to know I'm not the only one that has those dreams...you're right, we could make a mint marketing and selling an educational alarm clock. I certainly might as well put those sleeping hours to some other good use!
  • I have very elaborate, technicolor dreams that usually involve my being in a house that I've never seen before, trying to get rooms organized the way I want them, with someone else always interfering with my efforts.

When I was younger, I had recurring dreams about running but not getting anywhere, or trying to scream but nothing came out. I don't have those so much any more, thank heaven!

Once, I had a dream that I was the final person necessary to complete what I think was a coven of witches - all were dressed in beautiful satin robes of bright colors. It was as if I knew it was my fate to join them, but I still resisted. My husband thinks I should try to make a novel out of that one!
  • I am sensitive to the paranormal. My dreams often are of dead relatives of long ago back in Cebu . Wide awake, I can feel and hear the spirits of humans and animals - really, my house is haunted . My spouse has actually seen a spirit
    in the house.

Chari
  • Do any of you dream that you are speaking in a foreign language? As a child, I spoke fluent French, but have lost most of it in adulthood. In my dreams, I am able to carry on coversations in the most beautiful French, ususally with a deceased relative...
  • Yes, my dreams are in Visayan, the language of Cebu.
  • It's very disturbing, but for some reason my mother has dreams about me. She is constantly dreaming that I am being killed in some kind of natural disaster. Some of her dreams have been so eal that I have received calls in the middle of the night to make sure I am ok. This has been going on for years, since I was little. One interpertation of her dreams is that I am her oldest child, and was the first to do everything, including beak away from my parents and become independent, and that her dreams represent her fear of not being able to save me or protect me from those things in life that are uncontrollable.

As I have gotten older, I too realize I have odd dreams about my mother, and there have been times when we both have to call each other and we have had very similiar dreams and are checking up. Once, we were trying to call each other at the same exact moment. Very freaky. I guess you do become your mom as you grow up, no matter how diferent you try to be!
  • Two weird and reoccurring dreams that I have:

1. I'm in an elevator that not only goes up and down, but side to side and and even in circles. Unfortunately, I never make it to the floor I want to get to and then can't get off the elevator. This dream usually occurs when I am most stressed in life.

2. I'm in an old school (like my junior high school - built in 1927) and trying to find my way out. I get lost in a basement locker room/bathroom. Again, this dream seems to occur when I am stressed. (and perhaps had too much diet pepsi to drink at bedtime!)

• I too have dreams where my teeth crumble ... it is strange, I know, but good to know that I am not alone in that. Sometimes it seems so real that I wake up and check that I have all of my teeth! This is supposed to be associated with stress, huh? Working in HR, what in the world would I have to be stressed over?? :-?
  • Stressed? Us? Never! I'll tell you what's been stressing me - how the heck do you all put the little emoticons on your posts?! I can't figure it out!
  • Click on the Emotion icon short cuts above. Type the characters exactly as they appear in the center column for the one you want to use. Hit Preview to make sure it appears. Took me a few tries, too.
  • >I too have dreams where my teeth crumble ... it is strange, I know,
    >but good to know that I am not alone in that. Sometimes it seems so
    >real that I wake up and check that I have all of my teeth! This is
    >supposed to be associated with stress, huh? Working in HR, what in
    >the world would I have to be stressed over?? :-?

I'm sensing a trend with this dream and HR folks...Now I really want to know what the dream means. I know the last time I checked, it said something to the effect of a problem you were trying to work out...most likely induced by stress.

• Well I had vowed to stay out of this but since you asked. . I was once told that dreaming of loose teeth as well as chewing ice were signs of sexual frustration.. remember you asked :) (The source was a psych professor who was a jerk so I chose to take it with a grain of salt)
  • Now sonny, did I say it was loose teeth? More like your teeth were crumbling or breaking up and falling out of your mouth. I'd say it's not the same thing...and I know your explanation is not true...I plead the 5th!
  • I've heard the same story about chewing on ice. Anytime I see someone chewing ice, I have to laugh.
  • The most common "dream theme" for me is I cannot finish a task, whether it be packing a suitcase, cleaning house, doing dishes, whatever. Everything I've read says that it means I am frustrated in my waking life because I can't seem to get anything done. (WELL, DUH!)

I also often dream that I am trying to yell but only a whisper comes out. Probably is related to the "unfinished task" dreams.

A friend also had the "crumbling teeth" dream. It's gotta be the stress thing. It also makes sense that you have this dream if you grind your teeth.

I can almost NEVER remember the details of a dream, only the general feeling it gave me. Everything I read so far says the way the dream makes you feel is the key to interpreting the dream. Apparently I feel stressed and incompetent because I can't get anything done. :-?