Pop War

2»

Comments

• Grew up in Chilton, 20 miles from Appleton. It will always be POP and bubblers! Diet Pepsi(with cafeine)with a lemon wedge. The next best thing is Diet Nestea with lemon. This is good with lunch; no carbonation; no afternoon bubbles to come back and get you.
  • I was wondering when we would venture into the "bubbler" question. I went to a regional high school (centuries ago). The towns (bridgewater and raynham) may have been geographically next to each other, but we spoke two different languages - soda vs tonic, bubble vs fountain. But we can also discuss the difference in a shake, frappe and cabinet (for the Rhodies). I say frappes have ice cream and milk shakes are as described.
  • Does anyone remember Fresca? Shasta? Diet Rite? And what about those ice cold bottles of Nehi Grape in those old chest type 5cent dispensers that you had to slide the drink down a horizontal row and lift it up through a metal gate. Am I old or what?
  • Old? Nah. Did you have soda fountains (not pop fountains)? I remember ordering a coke or a cherry coke and watching the "soda jerk" mix the syrup and seltzer, stirring with a spoon and delivering it in a tall glass and give you a straw. Ahhhh, those were the days my friend.
  • I haven't seen Fresca for awhile, not sure about Shasta, but I still buy Diet Rite. If you can't have caffeine or Nutri-sweet or Sweet N Low for health reasons, there is not much left to choose from. Diet Rite has no caffeine and uses Splenda. So I drink Diet Rite, root beer, or Sprite. It's a shame how you become limited with age, isn't it? x:D
  • I used to love strawberry sodas from the old fountain. Now it's gone and Dairy Queen has stopped serving them. No wait, they will try to serve them if you can tell them how to make the darn thing!
  • Don, you can't be old because then I'd be old. I remember all three. In fact my younger son who doesn't appear to ever want to leave home even though he is 22 and just quit his job so he hangs around the house all day, has taken a liking to Fresca. Can't stand the stuff myself.
  • Fresca is my favorite and making a come back, its really good with rum, tequila, etc.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-21-03 AT 11:35AM (CST)[/font][p]Back in the day, I really enjoyed Fresca. It was very, very tart. Now is just tastes too artificially sweetened. I don't know if Vess is a national brand or not, but if you can ever find Vess Black Cherry, try it. It's great! At a little store in Iconium, MO, near Osceola which is on the outskirts of the lake area, they sell Peach Nehi. As I understand it, Peach Nehi is only available in limited areas. This little store is primarily used by the Boy Scout Camp which is nearby. I've waited in line for a peach float for over 30 minutes, that is, if you can find a parking space. By itself, I don't enjoy drinking it, but add some ice cream to it, to make a peach float and then, you've really got something.

Do you think soda tasted different "back in the day" when we used paper straws, waxed or unwaxed?
  • Which Boy Scout Camp is nearby? My oldest son is attending Camp Hohn this very week and we are going down for parens night this Thursday. If you are near Camp Hohn I will have to check this out.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    ps: I remember my great-grand-father, in the boot heel of Missouri area always drank a sodie water referrning to a Coke. As a kid I remember hearing many times, "What kind of coke to you want?" This was really asking if you wanted a coke, pepsi, r.c. or something else.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-03 AT 05:21PM (CST)[/font][p]Dutch2, I'm not sure where Camp Hohn is. The Peach Nehi is near H. Roe Bartle Reservation. In Iconium, just outside of Osceola which is just outside Clinton. The Peach Nehi Floats are a great treat. The store that sells it has a web-site - go to [url]http://www.scottsiconiumstore.com[/url]. Click on the info about Peach Nehi. Hope you enjoy it.
  • >[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-22-03 AT
    >05:21 PM (CST)[/font]
    >
    >Dutch2, I'm not sure where Camp Hohn is. The Peach Nehi is near H.
    >Roe Bartle Reservation. In Iconium, just outside of Osceola which is
    >just outside Clinton. The Peach Nehi Floats are a great treat. The
    >store that sells it has a web-site - go to
    >[url]http://www.scottsiconiumstore.com[/url]. Click on the info about Peach Nehi.
    > Hope you enjoy it.

TALLEY:
    I got out the old Missouri state map yesterday and found Iconium. It is about 25 to 30 miles west of Camp Hohn (as the crow flies) and about 60 miles via state road. Camp Hohn is next to the lake and a couple of miles west of the small town of Laurie on Hwy 5 which is a few miles (5-10) north west of Sunshine Beach. Therefore we will be on the wrong side of the lake and an hours drive away. All that to say, looks like I won't get to try the Peach Nehi Float today. Thanks for the information, maybe we can check it out at a latter date.
    Dutch2

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-24-03 AT 11:18AM (CST)[/font][p]Dutch2,

I'll be there this Sunday for visitors day - I'll have one for you. Hope we enjoy it.
  • Better get two as I know I would enjoy it if I could be there.
    Hope you have a great weekend,
    Dutch2
  • Don, am I as old as you? Surely not. I too remember the old chest type coolers that you had to move the drinks around from one row to another to finally get to the brand that you wanted and then walk it to the end and pull it up through the slot. I also remember the hand crank up-rights that were impossible for a yound kid to work. These old up-rights had the smaller bottles of coke can't remember..., where they 6 oz. or 8 oz bottles? I very much remember when the 16 oz. bottles came out. It seemed huge and of course my parents were against such a large bottle of soda pop as this was more than enough for two people. I still drink Diet Rite, in fact I keep a supply of them in my office. Coke or Pepsi? Neither, my wife got me hooked on Dr. Pepper years ago and "No, Mr. Pibb will not do!" As my wife tells the waiter, "If I had wanted Mr. Pibb, I would have asked for Mr. Pibb." And Lord help the server that trys to fool and her brings her Mr. Pibb instead of Dr. Pepper.
    Have a great day,
    Dutch2
  • For those of us born in the South, it's called "coke" no matter what it is. If you order a "Coke", the next question from the waitress is what kind, meaning coke, Seven-Up, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, etc. Just one of those many unexplainable southern things!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Gee, I guess I must be as old as Don also. I very much remember the old chest style soda machines. They had a built in bottle opener on them, because there was no such thing as a twist off cap x:o
  • >Gee, I guess I must be as old as Don also. I very much remember the
    >old chest style soda machines. They had a built in bottle opener on
    >them, because there was no such thing as a twist off cap x:o

You know, one of my boys (14 years of age) came across an old pop bottle opener just a few days ago while digging through a kitchen drawer looking for something and he had no idea what it was. He has never seen a pop bottle that you had to open in this manner. Oh the good ole days... If you were really good you could place the edge of the bottle cap on the side of a counter and hit down on it with your hand to open the bottle. Can't remember if I was ever successful at that or not.
    Take Care,
    Dutch2
  • If you ever want to confuse a Northernor, ask them if they want a "soft drink", which is what we called cokes (all sodas) in the New Orleans area.

• The New York Times has a great article today about local sodas such as Moxie.