Pop War

For those of you who clicked on this thread thinking it was a war between Father's, I am actually refering to what you call Soda or Coke.

Okay, We've talked enough about it on this forum for it to have it's own thread by now so here is a little survey for ya:

(My answers are included)

Q- What do you call it?
A- POP

Q- Coke or Pepsi?
A- Coke, all the way

Q- Diet or regular?
A- regular

Q- With Caffeine or Caffeine free?
A- with caffeine

If you can think of any other questions please add on!

Comments

• 50 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you hooked on it enough to mix bourbon with it. I have learned to mix diet coke with my annual 5th of bourbon and can't stand the taste of the real thing now (coke). Yankees call it pop. I don't know who calls it soda. I think I just refer to it universally like, "Hey, can I get ya' a Coke?"
  • Hey, I am a midwet girl and have ALWAYS called it soda. In my family, if you ask for a "pop" you are probably going to get one in the noggin!!!
  • Yankees call it pop, huh, Don? I think your research is a little faulty. As a native Oregonian north of the 45th parallel and, therefore, a left coast Yankee, I have ALWAYS called it soda. In fact, I just came back from Alabama yesterday and would love to know what Southerners call it, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. x;-)
  • >Q- What do you call it?
    >A- SODA
    >
    >Q- Coke or Pepsi?
    >A- Coke
    >
    >Q- Diet or regular?
    >A- regular
    >
    >Q- With Caffeine or Caffeine free?
    >A- with caffeine

Don, please note, I am a Yankee through and through ( but, I have visited the south a few times) and I call it soda. But, my esteemed collegue, Scott, from Albany, our beloved state capital, used the term POP recently. The only people in my neck of the woods who call it POP are immigrants, primarily from Pennsylvania.

• Q- What do you call it?
    A- Pop

Q- Coke or Pepsi?
    A- Coke

Q- Diet or regular?
    A- regular

A- with caffeine

Yes yes yes, I call it pop, because most of my family is from Canada. They all call it pop. Does anyone want a pop ahe? I was just in NC about a month ago and everyone knew what I meant when I said pop. I may live in Albany now but I grew up in Watertown, about 15 minutes from the Canadian border.
  • > The only people in my neck of the woods who call it POP
    > are immigrants, primarily from Pennsylvania.

Okay now, I'm insulted (kidding). I am from Pennsylvania, I call it soda and always will. Pop is your dad or a punch in the head here in the Philly area (it also could be getting shot too). You are talking about the western Pennsylvanians that call it pop, they are clueless to the real world!

It's soda...preferably regular caffiene Pepsi. I add a splash of rum to take the edge off of me!

• I grew up in Minnesota, and it's pop. However, since my daughter returned from college in Indiana, she's referred to it as soda.

When my first husband was in Army basic training in Louisiana in 1972, one of his fellow trainees suggested that they go get a soda. He was quite disappointed to find out that his friend meant pop, not a nice fizzy chocolate drink with a dollop of ice cream in it

Diet Pepsi with caffeine, please!
  • I am a true yankee. Born and raised in New York state and never in my life have I called it pop. Its always been soda. Didn't you people read the other thread about coke vs. water? Coke is bad for you!!!!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-17-03 AT 01:54PM (CST)[/font][p]Call it soda, but it's usually Coke. That's the only thing I drink, and it's diet with caffeine.

I used to drink Jack Daniels and Diet Coke (don't yell - I've already heard a gazillion times how I'm destroying perfectly wonderful whiskey). Once I ordered my drink, took one sip, called the waiter back and said, "This isn't Jack Daniels." He took it away and came back with a new one to tell me, "It was Jack Daniels, but not Diet Coke."

Discerning tastes I have. Ever since then I don't bother to call the Jack Daniels unless it's on the rocks.
  • I've seen that list of things about coke - like if you leave it in a dish for a week with a nail in it, it will eat the nail away to nothing. Nevertheless, it's diet coke with caffeine, or bourbon.
  • I generally skip the ice too, and just have a nice evening with "Jack" He is the best boyfriend I have ever had, and my longest relationship!
  • I call it soda, and either one is awful in my opinion!

Give me a water or juice anyday. If I drink soda, it's Sprite, especially the new one called the "ReMix"

Talk about a good name for Leslie's company..."The ReMixers" or something like that...catchy.
  • I'm a yankee too - Boston- and I call it soda.

Q- What do you call it?
    A- soda

Q- Coke or Pepsi?
    A- Coke

Q- Diet or regular?
    A- diet

A- with caffeine - the more caffeine, the better.

Can I add that I prefer it warm and flat...I don't know why.

• Warm and flat?!?!?!? I can't think of anything I would prefer that way!
  • I know, it is so strange. Everyone thinks I'm nuts for liking it that way. But when I was a teacher I'd have to hide my soda in the cabinet and sneak sips when the children were napping. So I just got used to it.
  • How bizarre! I prefer my Pepsi that way too. I thought I was the only one! When I buy a bottle of soda, before I drink it I shake it a few times and let the carbonation escape by opening the cap slowly. Instantly flattens it. Wahoo!
  • Without a doubt, it is SODA.

Pepsi is the next best thing to chocolate.

Never diet soda, it has to be leaded.

• It's soda to me in K.C. Pepsi-full strength-sugared and caffeinated. I prefer Mugg Root Beer, ginger ale, or better yet, coffee. I just don't enjoy drinking cold beverages.
  • Q- What do you call it?
    A- Soda....I am a midwest girl with a Boston (Go Red Sox) family and heart!

Q- Coke or Pepsi?
    A- Coke usually....But always a fountain soda, no can or bottle

Q- Diet or regular?
    A- regular

A- Ummm, what do you mean, Caffeine Free?? What barbaric amazon thought that up??????!!!!!!!

• I am a New York City native and I call it soda. And to me soda means Coke - regular, classic Coke - preferrably in 6 1/2 ounce green glass bottles.

Of course, I only drink that during working hours - after work I mix my vodka with lemonade - especially on Fridays.

• Tip for the uninformed: The first ever BOTTLED Coca-Cola was produced in Vicksburg, MS (30 miles to the west of me) at Beidenharn's Coca-Cola Factory. For you people coming out of the closet who actually prefer warm and flat soft drinks.....I knew an alcoholic once who had finished the 30 day program and was attending meetings. He went from drinking straight Vodka and bourbon to what I assumed was cold turkey. Then I discovered that he actually carried a case of warm (hot) beer in his trunk and drunk it off and on through the day. He explained that he wasn't really drinking 8-| since it was hot and wasn't even whiskey. I don't know how this relates to your 'affliction' but it may. x:-)
  • Diet Mountain Dew, w/ Go for the gusto! Those cola products are overrated, or meant to be mixed with any of the above.

• I also grew up in Minnesota calling it pop. Since I have now lived in Missouri half my life, it is soda. I don't drink either one because I prefer water or tea, but if I do, it is usually a vanilla coke.

• In Ohio, it's Pop. Two of my favorite establishments switched from Coke to Pepsi and I quit going there. Diet Coke with caffeine...great by itself or with coconut rum!

• Have been living in Massachusetts all of my life and we call it soda. I prefer cafeine-free diet Pepsi. Was a regular Pepsi addict for years, but finally, this year, I was able to make the switch...........
  • I hate when places do that! One bar & grill I used to frequent switched from Coke to RC Cola (cheaper for the owner). It was VERY noticible and caused an uproar for those of us who were regulars. An RC and Bacardi just doesn't sound (or taste) the same!
  • I'm also from Minnesota and grew up calling it pop. However, for some unknown reason, a couple of years ago I just switched to calling it soda, and now it feels weird to say pop. I have no explanation. I drink 100% fully loaded Coke, all the way, although, occasionally, for a change, I'll drink Cherry Coke.
  • I'm from Appleton Wisconsin and it's always been POP.
    Bacardi and Diet Coke is my poison!

I also say bubbler instead of water fountain. Sorry!
  • Ya! Another bubbler person! I grew up in Whitelaw Wisconsin, 45 minutes from Appleton!

Now, if we could only get you to say SODA. :-)