Party or Education

I have been asked to constantly review applications and interview notes from my managers for my assessment. It is generally considered an unwritten rule with these managers that simply because a person has a degree it makes them more qualified than one who has only a diploma or GED.
The managers would interview a candidate and then ask my advice based off of there notes. As I overlooked a manager's notes for a candidate that he wanted to hire for a front line sales position I couldn't but think "Why?"

Goals: A few, partying
Strengths: School
Weaknesses: Communication and Teamwork
Why are you looking to leave your current job?: More money
Why do you think you are qualified for this job?: because he went to college.
What kind of experience do you have?: none really

As you can figure the rest of the notes were of similar fashion.
Another manager interviewed another candidate for the same position. He wasn't considered because of his education, but he had extensive experience in a relative field and the interviewer took in depth notes.

Unfortunately I had to overrule the hiring manager and go with the latter. Now that ee in the manager's opinion is the best he has.

What are your tales and opinions. What should we way more, education or experience?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • where I work, the only jobs that we requrie a degree is in the engineering department and it has to be an engineering degree. it seems to me that in all the other department experience is more important, but I am sure that every company is different.
  • I think experience is more important that education, but for a whole lot of jobs I think attitude is more important than either. You can train someone in skills, but you can't necessarily train them to be a nice person, a team player and know what a good work ethic is. Of course in an interview they all think they are. :-S
  • We are a Food Distributor and we have lots of Sales Reps. 50% of our sales force were Chefs with not one day of training as a Sales person when we hire them. Chefs know food and they know how to speak to other chefs to get them to buy food from us. These ex-chefs can also help a restaurant plan menus and they know how to cut the costs per serving. Another sales rep from the competition might have a college degree, but we get the sale every time.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-03 AT 06:01PM (CST)[/font][p]Smart Recruiting! O=*
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-03 AT 04:34PM (CST)[/font][p]We are a high tech company so we require a degree for everyone other than support staff. Although work experience is also important. We will not hire someone unless they have at least two years of experience in their field. I worked for another company that only required degrees for administrative positions. It really depends on the position and the type of company.