Does a big bootie really matter?

I've been listening to a local radio show this morning. They're conducting an informal survey about whether it matters if a spouse/significant other "lets themselves go" after marriage or committing to the relationship. Of course there was the one guy who called to ask "how fat are we talkin'?" I was amazed that the callers were more concerned for their partner's health than their appearance. I think that's great, but fat jokes run up and down these halls all the time, and I am one of the girls here obsessed with my staying slim. I don't care if my fiance goes bald, gains fifty pounds, grows a tail or pierces his nose. He's a wonderful man, and my only concern would be for his health. What do you guys think? Is a big bootie or a Buddha belly that big a deal?

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well, my wife complains about my weight, but not sure if it is an appearance thing or health concern. I ocassionally mention that she has put on a few pounds - she is all the way up to 118.
  • Married her for the person on the inside not the outside. Now if she quits wearing dentures and starts chewing tobacco we might have a problem.
  • I started dating a guy several months ago. He is really wonderful. He is overweight, but I find him very attractive, so my vote is that is doesn't matter. I also have worked very hard on my weight problems. I lost 70 pounds in 1999 and have managed to maintain most of the loss. (Dating makes it hard) I won't let myself go because I have worked too hard to get where I am. If my partner feels differently, so be it. I still feel the same way about him. What is funny though, is that he is noticing our differences and he is watching himself more.
  • Being single, I try to keep an open mind and remain neutral on the issue, and won't commit one way or the other. x;-)
  • My boyfriend and I are each packing an extra 30 or so that we didn't have when we first got together three years ago. We keep vowing to lose it together because we certainly can't keep up the trend of 10 pounds a year!
  • Yes and no.

If he's a little overweight with cute love handles on the sides - but in reasonably good health, then it doesn't matter. If he's out of shape, in poor health and not willing to do anything about it - then it matters.

It is the inside that matters - but hygiene is right up there too!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-09-03 AT 01:30PM (CST)[/font][p]In a culture where weight is such a source of obsession and insecurity, I'm glad that this weight issue apparently only a big deal to the manufacturers of Slim Fast and the fashion industry. Some callers did mention hygiene - a few pounds didn't matter, but if the hygiene slipped, there'd be a problem! I guess it's good that your bootie size only makes or breaks you if you're J.Lo!
  • Health really matters! My spouse stays at home, not well enough to work - and so I worry, do encourage more exercise and less soda/TV.

For myself, I try to ride my bicycle on Sunday mornings, but being so dry here -I struggle to lose the pounds, got down to 122 last week.

Chari
  • I was looking at our wedding photos recently, and was surprised how thin we both looked. Though my husband has gained weight over the last seven years, I don't really see it. I guess love really is blind!
  • Personally I don't care what others think of me. I workout for health reasons. I also encourage my significant other to do the same. We have been together for four years and we have both gained about 15lbs but we are both active so I am less concerned.
  • When my husband and I got married 11 years ago, we were both skinny. I got really sick about a year later and gained 15-20 pounds and my husband continued to tell me how great I looked, etc. and was so sweet to me. That meant a lot because I knew how bad I looked, but he was in love with what was inside.

Over the years we have both gained weight and within the last few years have found physical activities that we both enjoy, so we are pretty fit, but still not as skinny as we were when we got married.

So, I would have to say that weight isn't really an issue, it is your health. Being healthy is what matters.
  • When I heard that the new IS guy was being hired and having been single for a overly sufficient amount of time I was interested in meeting him (he had a great resume!) well when I first laid eyes on him I said to myself "way too skinny, a tad short". I am 5'9 and packing extra pounds.
    Well we've been together for three and a half years.
    I know, I know, I know that I am not supposed to go looking for love in the workplace! But you know what? I have never regretted it!
  • I am definitly not one to complain about a few extra pounds! Since becoming a "professional" I have quite certainly packed on the "freshman 15" from college, plus the graduate 15-20 after that! I think that if you love someone, their physical appearance is merely secondary. As long as the person is healthy, caring, and has beautiful eyes, that is all ya need!
  • Does anyone know the history of the word "bootie"? I always thought that's what babies wore on their feet until they were old enough to wear real shoes!

I remember the old song "Shake your Booty". I guess that's the same part of the anatomy we are talking about!
  • My husband and I have both been thinner in the 8 years we have been dating,engaged, and then married. I have gained more than he has in this period and have never felt a difference from him. He supports my efforts and moves the treadmill again, and again, and again.