Water or Coke

I got this in an email yesterday and thought I would share with my fellow forumites:

WATER or COKE

This is really an eye opener! We all know that water is important but I’ve never seen it written down like this before. This would obviously apply to you Pepsi / Diet Pepsi / Diet Coke, etc. drinkers out there too!

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half the world's population.)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china. 4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminium foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would YOU like a glass of water or Coke??!!

Just think, all this time I thought I was carrying this extra weight around because I can't say no to chocolate cake. Turns out I was just thirsty all this time! x;-)

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good Lord! You would think that instead of adding weight, it would burn the fat right off your bones!
  • I have to admit this is a good story, however I have a friend who is a state police officer and he said they do not carry coke in their cars. I am not sure about the rest of the items listed.

Never the less I still prefer water over pop!
  • Last night I drank a glass of water before bed. I didn't wake up because of hunger but I did wake up twice to use the bathroom. hahaha
  • My son works for Coke and he says they really get a laugh from this E-mail. About the only thing he says is true is the fact that Coke or any liquid with CO2 will remove battery acid. He on occasion delivers bulk containers and does not have a hazardous material placard.
  • My son, when he was in HS, tried an experiment for a science fair using Coke to test its corrosive powers. He put a nail and a baby tooth in a bowl of coke and covered it for several days. After 2 weeks the nail and tooth were still there. I don't remember if he had weighed them before and after - that was several years ago.

Scott, I thought only people from Pennsylvania and the midwest referred to Coke as "pop" - around it is "soda".
  • I heard something else about Coke that makes me avoid it. One, that Coke should never be drunk on an empty stomach because of all the acid. The other is, and I'm sorry I can't provide the source, but I read an article in a health magazine that said that the carbonation and some of the contents in Coke in particular can deplete the calcium in your bones and teeth! I only drink Coke if I feel queasy. Otherwise I avoid all sodas. There are studies out that claim that drinking too much water (8 glasses or more per day) can actually deplete some of the vitamins/minerals in your body, and that we should ease up on water - it was suggested that we eat foods known for high water content, like watermelon and cucumbers, so that we get the water but not the constant flushing (no pun intended!) of minerals from our systems.
  • My family is from Canada so everyone calls it pop. I love coke but know that the carbon, sugar and caffine are not good for me so I only have one can per day. I end up spending most of my beverage budget on overly priced bottle water.
  • And around here (Florida or the South), everyone refers to all sodas as Coke, even if you are drinking Pepsi! I found that people seem to think of Coke as the same thing as saying Kleenex instead of tissue, and Q-Tip instead of cotton swab.
  • Don't know how many of those facts are true, but all in all, water is better for you. If you don't like plain water, add a bit of lemon juice or lime juice if you prefer. Each person is different in how much water they truly need to drink a day. Wish I could remeber the website that I found that from, may have been web md...not sure. The amount of water needed is based on your body mass, and level of activity.

Colas are loaded down with sugars and calories...so if you really want soda occaisionally, switch to a 'diet' soda or a lower calorie, non cafeinated soda...like sprite.

I've always preferred water to cola anyday! It's good for you, not only does it help curb hunger, but it aid's in digestion and keeps your skin healthy.
  • Somebody help...what about iced tea?????????? x:-/
  • Although I won't argue that water is better for you - a good Diet Coke (Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Mt. Dew...you name it) is my only vice in life. That being the case, I figure I'm doing better than most..........
  • I'm sure not going to start drinking rum straight! Sounds to me like someone is out to give Coke a bad name???
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-09-03 AT 01:39PM (CST)[/font][p]I drink one Diet Coke per day with lunch and I'm not giving it up!

Anytime I get an e-mail any more making some fantastic claim or another I go to [url]www.snopes.com[/url] This is a great urban legends website and I find it very enlightening.

Coke:
    Claim: The acids in Coca-Cola not only make it a handy household cleaning product, but harmful to drink as well.
    [url]http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp[/url]

Water:
    Claim: 75% of Americans are "chronically dehydrated" because they fail to drink eight glasses of water per day.
    [url]http://www.snopes.com/toxins/water.htm[/url]
  • Well, won't see me passing THIS around...

...seeing as how I work for a vending company!!

BUY MORE COKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! x;-) x:P x:D

Stephanie
  • Celeste, iced tea is actually good for you, as long as you drink it unsweetened. Well, it's good properties still exist, but they are overshadowed by the sugar.

Tea, according to many recent studies, is "an antioxidant stew", filled with those cancer fighting antioxidants. Other studies show that tea drinkers may be protecting their heart. Although green tea is better, regular old black tea works also. It doesn't matter whether it is hot or cold, and counts as your "liquid" just like water.

Annie

• I was afraid you would say that about sweetened tea - x:-(
  • While I usually prefer water with most meals, if I'm eating pizza, it's gotta be Coke! And then of course, if it's pasta a nice white zinfandel if preferred.
  • Pizza and coke?!? Only if at work! After that it's pizza and beer!
  • One of the radio stations in Dallas (99.5 FM-KSCS) tried the experiments with the meat in the Coke for two days. After the two days, they still had beef.
  • I don't know about the other stuff but when I was little my Nana would give each of us a can of Coke every spring to clean the rust off our bikes. It worked like nothing else...