Perceptions....

I was on a break with our Employment Manager and he posed an interesting question to Senior VP/GM. What, in his opinion, is the function of HR? He responded frankly with "an unnecessary burden." Being new to HR and coming from the labor ee pool I found this rather disturbing. I already knew the perceptions of the labor force and since my promotion a year ago I have struggled to eliminate that perception and educate our ees to the real function of a cohesive HR team. Now I find myself in a dilemma and I look to you for help on: How can I reform the general population with little or no support from management?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I posted this story recently on another thread, but it applies to your question, too. My current employer bought out my previous employer 5 1/2 years ago. The previous employer did not believe in HR, in fact the GM once told me he hired the HR person because she was stupid. Stupidity was the trait he wanted in HR. She was a long time AA from another industry who had no experience in HR - nice lady, not really stupid, but neither would she rock the boat. She was still functioning as an AA. He was very happy with her. Just before the acquisition by the new employer, this GM left for a new position.

The new employer insisted that one of the first things we needed when they took over was a real HR department. The new employer kept all the ee's and management. The only real change was I moved from a manufacturing manager to HR Director. My situation was similar to yours. I had to convince the ee's that HR could benefit them and I had to gain their trust. But, I was still dealing with local management that was not used to a strong HR department and didn't really understand how it fit into the business. The good part was our corporate headquarters believed in a strong HR, so they gave me the support I needed.

A couple of years ago we hired a new VP to head up this division. He came from a company that I suspect HR was strictly administrative. So, it has been an educational process. First off, I had to make sure he understood he could not just walk around firing people without my involvement. And then, I would not give him a rubber stamp. He came around.

There is no magic answer. It has taken time, but I believe I have seen some success. Put it this way. The IT director and myself are the only original managers left - the rest were let go to make room for new blood about 2 years ago. So, I must be doing something right. Last summer the VP was trying to get me fired saying I wasn't trusted and I carried too much baggage from the old regime. My boss from corporate came up talked to a bunch of people at different levels and concluded the opposite. I had many supporters. Scuttlebutt says the VP is in trouble, yet I seem to be in good standing.

Stick to your guns, do the right thing and don't let anyone intimidate you.
  • Ray's advise is right on the money. He should have made the last sentence all capital letters. The support of the execs is vital to the survival of an effective HR department. The only other thing I would add is don't get into a pissing contest over trivia. Pick your battles.

AND......Welcome to the Forum. Climb aboard and enjoy the banter. It's a great bunch of people with mountains of knowledge and advise.
  • Unfortunately, the world is full of execs who feel like you have described. Sometimes that is our fault because we don't try to understand the business, stay doing administrative work, tell people "you can't do that" rather than solve their problems etc. If you can break through the perception as the others have suggested, you will have success. If you can't, learn all you can then go and find an employee who understands what we can do for them.
  • And when we do have to say "you can't do that" EDUCATE them as to why. If they can understand that we don't just make this stuff up, it can help.
  • Here's another tip: I've been reading a good book recently by Libby Sartain entitled "HR from the Heart". She even addresses some of the concerns you have expressed. I bought my copy from Amazon. Check it out.
  • I agree with the above. Keep your head up. You may want to mention to the execs what happened to I think, rent-a-center soon after they eliminated their HR dept. They lost millions in a lawsuit. Many execs view HR as the people how hire people. They just can't get past that.

Our current CEO intially felt the same way your execs felt. Now we have become a vital part of the company. I am now on the business and strategic planning committee which decides the direction of our company. SO hang in there and shine when you can!
  • As you have noted from the other comments, you have lots of company, and received generally good advice. As you pursue other employment (do it voluntarily) inquire of those you are interviewing with what their perception is of the place of HR in their organization, but be prepared to state where you think it fits.

This gives both parties a chance to avoid making a mistake. Understand YOUR future supervisor's expectations.

After 24 years of HR work, with 16 at the manager/director level, it was not until my current employer I found owners that believed in what HR is supposed to stand for - so if you want to stay in HR, be patient and selective. The latter trait I did not learn until I six years ago.

Good luck!
  • Thanks to everyone for their advice and I will put it to good use.

• When I started my job 7 years ago, there was no HR dept. at the company I am with. I had to start from scratch. I felt the way you did for the first few years. I think that things started to get better when I started doing manager training meetings. At first some of the manager's acted like, "what could I ever learn from you", but now they see that I am an important part of the company and I feel like I have a lot of respect. I definitely had to earn it.
  • Am I: You're not lost -- you found the Employers Forum, didn't you? I'm constantly amazed by the great advice that people give here.

You really should watch the video "Running with the Big Dogs: How to Make HR a Strategic Player." It's by Margaret Morford, who's an attorney, HR consultant ([url]www.theHRedge.net[/url]), and frequent Forum participant. It's 40 minutes of serious, practical ways to gain respect for HR. We don't have a web page for the video, but plenty of Forumites have seen it. You can get it for $47 plus tax, etc., at (800) 274-6774.

And if you subscribe to Texas Employment Law Letter, be sure to mosey on over to the subscribers area of this website if you haven't already. It has a ton of stuff included in your subscription price. Search the newsletter archives for an article I just read today -- "Eliminating HR department costs company big money" in Missouri Employment Law Letter. (If you haven't logged in before, call the number above and your customer service rep will give you your password, along with any help you need.)

Good luck!

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • You are most definitely not alone! I understand, and I would first suggest that you get as informed and educated as possible on laws and policies so that you can make informed decisions. Continue to visit this forum. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here, and it is a great place to get information. In 1998 our company terminated the HR guy - since then my boss and I have formed the HR department from scratch. It has taken time, but we have gained the trust of our field crews and a lot of the office folks, too. As for poor managerial support, that seems to be a very common issue. Once again, gaining the trust of staff has shown management that HR is important and necessary, and they have begun to be more supportive of us as a result. It just takes time, so remember that what you do is very important, and don't get frustrated. Stick with it, be fair and consistent, be approachable to everyone and continue to get informed, and time will prove your abilities to everyone. Good luck!