Any musicians out there?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-07-03 AT 10:13AM (CST)[/font][p]I've come across some of you on the forum who are musicians when you "punch out" at the end of the day from your HR job. I thought it would be interesting to find out how many musicians are out there and what you do musically. Over the years in my management positions in a manufacturing environment, I have found my music background, particularly directing, to be helpful. Having a so called non-technical degree has even helped me get interviews.

Well, to start off, I have a BA in Music Theory and my musical outlets have been with instrumental performance, church choir directing, and composing/arranging. My main instrument is the bass trombone, also play the tenor trombone, euphonium, Eb tuba, flute, and alto recorder.

How about the rest of you?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I play kazoo. I can also play "Louie, Louie" on my armpit.
  • I do find going home and sitting at the piano or organ for a few minutes helps me to forget about the day. I started playing the piano for church when I was 12 and then at 16 played for a gospel quartet for about 5 years. I also play the trumpet and was the Drum Major for my high school band for 3 years. Since coming to Nashville I have been fortunate to have been able to do a few studio back-up keyboard recording sessions.
  • In what part of the country did you play in the gospel group ? I played electric bass and sang second tenor and MC'ed for a semi-pro gospel quartet (sometimes trio) in the mid-South area, Memphis, Tenn area. This was back when the National Quartet Convention was in Memphis every year. Of course this was also back in the late '60's and early 70's, high school and college days. Almost did this as a full-time profession. On many a day I am still tempted to lease a silver eagle and hit the road with a gospel quartet.
    Hope you all had a safe and enjoyable 4th.
    Dutch2
  • This was in the late 60's early 70's in Indiana with a group we called The Mellow Tones. Unfortunately we never got to the Silver Eagle status. But we did have a Olds 98 and a trailer!!!!
  • POPEYE, good to hear from you. Our group was called "The Reveliers." We were based out of North East Ark. and the Memphis, Tenn. areas. We mostly ran all over Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tenn., Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and some in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Even ventured as far off as Florida a time or two to visit a relatives church in Fort Myers. We too started out with a big pontiac and a used U-haul trailed that we took a few cans of Wal-Mart spray paint too and tried to match the color of the car. The trailer looked rough but it served the purpose. We were four young men dedicated to spreading God's word through music, and we had such a great time.
    Dutch2
  • I play the piano - though not frequently.

There are a lot of frustrated musicians out there as I have a master degreed social worker friend who plays in a band with an architect, nurse practitioner, and engineer.

Sounds like a joke......

• I play the violin. Okay, I played the violin. I haven't learned anything new since the 8th grade.
  • I've done a lot of things musically since high school, but currently I am a Music Director at a Methodist Church (for the past 13 years) and I give private piano lessons to 4 children in addition to my 'real job'!
  • Welcome to the forum, Vmusic39. I've been a church choir director for 10 years, now. Wish that was my real job.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-07-03 AT 03:57PM (CST)[/font][p]I retired from playing music professionally on December 31, 2001. I had been a professional musician for 26 years have to say there were good and bad times just as in HR. As a percussionist, (drummer), it can be a great stress reliever to set on my throne (drum seat) and beat the skins (drum heads). While I miss performing and entertaining an audience, I do not miss the time it takes away from my family. The music scene is not quite what it used to be when I began that career. It used to be that people wanted to go see the next band that came to town, now they want to hear the CD and don’t care about the live sound. It used to be that as a professional in the Midwest we could earn anywhere from $100 to $300 per night per musician. Now one is lucky to make $75 per gig.

For this reason I decided to pack away the sticks and only donate my musical talent when asked. I really enjoy this because the pressure is not on my pocketbook and me but for the individual (s) involved in any benefit that I perform in. A lot more rewarding and less time consuming than a couple of nights per week practicing only to perform on a Saturday to a drunk crowd that would rather hear the CD. xB-)

I forgot to mention that I play the radio quite well! :oo

• Our manufacturing manager is primarily a guitarist and a sometimes drummer. He has a studio in his barn behind the house and spend evenings in there relieving stress from the day.
  • My musical instrument is (was) tap shoes. I was a dance teacher years ago - jazz, ballet, tap.

Other than that, I am completely talentless, musically. (I can draw though. Does that count?)

I have an incredibly FLAT singing voice - whenver I sing, my 3 year old says vehemently "STOP SINGING, mommy, STOP SINGING!" Now my 20 month old is learning that phrase. It just makes me sing louder. 8-}

My dad plays jazz bass (electric and stand up - whatever the technical terms are!) His friends played at my wedding reception ten years ago - no bunny hop for us! (Exactly what I wanted!)
  • I played percussion in high school back in the early 70's when not many females did that. Now my daughter is following in my foot steps. She is all of 105 lbs and carried the biggest bass drum last marching season. We both also play in our praise band at church.
  • I have been playing the piano for over 20 years. I love it and I just bought myself a baby grand last year. I got a minor in music in college, so I have a good background with many other insturments. I've played the guitar, organ, flute, clarinet, and have sung in many choirs even though I don't sing that well. Music makes me happy!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-09-03 AT 01:01PM (CST)[/font][p]Ray,

It's nice to see that there are a few more of us out there!

I majored in music in college, and played the cello in the Sioux City Symphony for 12 years, until we moved to Omaha two years ago. I still do "gigs" with a string quartet in Sioux City.

I also play electric bass in our church band, "Rejoice!" My spouse plays accoustic and electric guitar and sings.

When I was in the Sioux City Symphony, I had numerous once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to be onstage with music stars and legends - Itzhak Perlman, Judy Collins, the Fifth Dimension, Blood, Sweat & Tears, etc. However, the BIGGEST thrill of my life was participating on stage with the Moody Blues in August of 1999 - got the chance to meet Justin Hayward, John Lodge, and Graeme Edge before the concert (even got autographs!). Was sorry to have missed meeting Ray Thomas, who has now retired from performing. Spouse and I still go to see their concerts whenever they're within driving distance of Omaha (three times in the last 12 months).

I also play some keyboard, flute, and occasionally, accordion. Music keeps me sane!

psrcello
  • psrcello,
    I grew up in Omaha, moved to Phoenix in 1989! My entire family is still there. My husband, kids and I drive up once a year to visit. Next month we are going to Ft. Robinson instead, for a family reunion. (NW Nebraska)

My husband was born in Sioux City then moved to Omaha early on.

I miss being near family, do NOT miss the snow. x:D
  • I play flute and harmonica - mostly church related gigs, but have been known to attend an "open mike" night on occasion. (At age 49, yes, I do play Locomotive Breath.) I dabble with guitar - just chords and some voice. My 15 year old daughter is a drummer and trombonist.

We all need to get away from HR on occasion!