Is it addictive?

OK, so it's not a har-de-har-har topic, but I had to ask...

I just joined the forum last week, and I have to make a conscious effort NOT to read through the topics all day long.

I am the only HR person in my company, other than the payroll person who handles a medley of other responsibilities that are not HR related. I do have other HR friends in other industries and we share advice, but this forum is absolutely fabulous. Much easier and faster to research issues by sorting through all YOUR posts then digging around websites or publications which are not written in english. (DOL, OSHA, etc.)

I cannot emphasize enough how valuable to me the forum has been so far. I'm glad you all are here!

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree. I feel lost if I can't get my forum fix for the day. It has been educational for me since I was never formally trained in HR. Even if the situation has never come up for me I know it will someday. I also can usually get my daily chuckle from here too. We all know that in the world of HR we need that. So I also say Thank you.
  • Yes it is addictive. I became concerned when I started logging in at home in the evening and on weekends. Am I a junkie or what?

Seriously, it has been a wonderful source of information and support from other HR professionals that often have the same experiences - both good and bad. If someone at work challenges me on an issue I can provide support from people all over the country. A year ago our local VP suggested I needed to network more with other HR types - I have made sure he knows about my involvment here and have let him know when I receive ideas and help from this forum that benefits our company. When I posted a few months ago about our finger-painter Rembrandt wannabee, I received much good advice which helped convince this VP I was doing the right thing.

I belong to other non-HR forums where discussions can get heated and nasty. The administrators have gone so far as to suspend individuals from participating - usually for a month. I really enjoy the civil interaction found on this forum, even the occasional silliness - it's great for relieving tension.

Great stuff.
  • I also have no formal training and when I found this site I was able to use the advice on numerous occasions.
    I also have to force myself to not spend too much time on this site at work but guess what? I go on it at home!!!!!!!
    So I am addicted.
    I wonder what the withdrawals are going to be like when I go on vacation at the end of this month?
    Hmmmm. Maybe I'll bring my laptop
    No! SOMEBODY STOP ME! HELP!!!
  • I'll admit it..I'm an addict all the way. I check it twice, once in the morning and once before I leave. I haven't graduated to looking on the weekends, but I have already thought I will be checking in on all of you once I stay at home wiht the baby. How else am I going to keep up with all the hottest HR topics?
  • It has become a habit (maybe not quite yet an addiction) that I check the forum first thing in the morning. If I'm not overwhelmed, I check the new posts I have elected to receive as they arrive. It has been a most valuable HR tool to me for quite a few years now. I would not like to be without it so if that make me an addict - I'll not be in denial!
  • Can't you see us all sitting around in some group saying, "Hi. My name is Margaret and I haven't checked the Forum in the last two days!" Please I want to be an addict!

I'm going on vacation next week and I wonder what ya'll will be doing while I'm gone. Pitiful!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I wonder if Margaret will check up on us while on vacation and if she does will she admit to it?
  • Hi. My name is Margaret Morford and I didn't check the Forum for five whole days! However, I was on vacation with my husband in the Wine Country, so I clearly traded one addiction for another. I had to come home for my liver to dry out!

I've fallen off the wagon and am back. Or is it that I've gotten back on the wagon and I'm back?

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Welcome back... you were missed.
  • Margaret,

Welcome back! Sounds like my kind of vacation. And the forum must be an addiction - you're checking in on a Sunday!
  • In 1984 I quit smoking. I went from three packs a day to zero, cold turkey, by myself. The anquish was horrific. For about 5 days or more, I couldn't think straight, could not carry on a conversation, was restless, was terribly nervous and jittery, could not write a coherent sentence, could not concentrate enough to read three lines, was angry and cross with everybody and ate everything in site. When I changed jobs about two months ago, I went almost three weeks without The Forum. The experiences of withdrawal were very much the same in these two cases. Perhaps there is a psychologist out there who needs to do a paper or research project on this phenomenon.
  • I would think there is enough material on this forum to do several disertations.
  • If it is addictive, as seems to be the majority opinion (including mine) than can I file a claim under workers comp? If I spend too much time on this site, but claim it is due to an addiction, can I protect my job by claiming ADA. Of course, if I stop using this site and go through withdrawal, am I entitled to FMLA? Am I in violation of the computer policy (rarely there have been a comment that might be construed as "inappropriate" by someone). Am I writing a thread when I should be working. Having caught myself doing this, do I warn me about my behavior? And yes, I know I am flipping out.
  • We can start Forumites Anonymous. But who would show for the 12 steps? No one wants to give this up!
  • Just because one habituates the Forum, becomes dependent on the advise and knowledge of others, and is inordinately fond of the pearls of wisdom frequently displayed here...... Oh my, that's is an addict. Guilty!
  • Hi, my name is Bethann, and I'm a HR forum junkie too. I dont know what I'm going to do on maternity leave...feed the baby, check the forum.. hmmm. bet I will learn to do both at the same time! LOL
  • Hey! I knew you would pop in on that one. Hope all is well.
  • It's confirmed, I'm addicted. I went to check the weather on the internet today and without even thinking I went to the employers forum. I was reading the new topics when I suddenly woke up and realized I met to check the weather. It's a good thing I know our EAP number by heart.
  • Going on Vacation today and look where I am.
    Actually tying up some loose ends in the office and thought I'd check in.
    I'm going to North Carolina, Hatteras on the Outer Banks. I can't wait! Just the sea the sand and tons of books.
    Yipee!