Slow Drivers!?

Maybe its just me! Every Morning on my way to work, I pass a grocery store and a mall. It never fails that everey morning there is always a slow driver going at least 10 MPH below the speed limit and they always pull into the grocery store or the mall. Don't these people have jobs? I think if you don't have a job, you should stay off the road during rush hour traffic. Just a little frustrated this morning!

Comments

• 39 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ever notice that people drive faster on the way home from work than they do going to work? I work in the next county over and the average speed going to work is about 65 mph, going home it is up around 70 to 75.
  • I don't drive to work (one of the pleasures of living in New York City). However, I don't care what time of day it is, driving in Florida is a nightmare. Between the teenagers who drive like all cocky teenagers and the senior citizens who probably flunked their last physical, I'd rather drive anywhere else (even during rush hour).
  • Im with you on bad drivers in general...
    I will tell you what I can't stand -
    Drivers who stop on the on ramp while trying to merge into highway traffic! Very dangerous!
    April
  • We in Arizona are heaving sighs of summer relief - because that's when all the winter visitors take their Winnebagos and go home to cool off...and we can again drive in traffic without fear that the right hand turn is going to be taken from the left hand turn lane.
  • I completely agree with scottorr; I think the same thing when I'm on the road, why don't these people wait until I'm at work before they roll out of their driveways? Someday, they'll run it past me first, until then I just need to steer clear of them, literally.

How about this one? Somebody is in the left-turn lane to turn left, but they have to swing out wide to the right before making that turn, nearly clipping me off as I drive straight in that lane. If they all could just drive as well as we do.

• My favorite is when their eye sight is so bad that they can not tell that there are two lanes and they drive down the middle.

In a related story, I heard on the radio this morning that canada is passing a new law requiring the elderly to take a road test every one or two years. A new insurance study showed that the elderly just passed teenagers as the group with the most number of fatal accidents. Scary!
  • I used to think that was dangerous until MNDOT (in their ultimate wisdom) put STOPLIGHTS at the end of on ramps to regulate the entrance of traffic onto the highways during rush hour. Now we MUST stop at the end of most on ramps until we get a green light and then FLOOR IT until we can get up to highway speed.

I just Love It!!!!
  • It's sort of like all the people who don't work who choose to do their banking on Friday's during lunch hour.
  • Two huge pet peeves from driving. I drive a car, unusual I know but there are still a few on the road, my beef is with the mini van, p/u truck, SUV drivers who place their vehicle in my line of sight, when I'm trying to turn onto a highway.....xx( !!!

The other one is kind of funny from my years in VA. The saying was if you saw car use a turn signal it was because it was on when they got the car and they couldn't figure out how to turn it off......x:7
  • My pet peeve - People who gun it to turn out in front of you, so you have to hit the brakes not to rear end them. Then they do ten miles an hour after getting on the highway in front of you!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Yep, all these things sound familiar. Come to South Carolina where folks think the emergency lane on the interstate is just another lane for traffic. They drive fast and reckless. The merge lane is also my favorite where they come to a dead standstill or other drivers speed up to cut them off so they can't merge into the traffic lane when the left lane is perfectly open.

Another thing we love in South Carolina is to run red lights. I have learned when a light changes, hesitate just a moment to make sure no one is gunning through the intersection to beat the light.

Our Lt. Governor just got caught in the city for speeding through red lights and running 70 miles an hour to get to a session because as you know, he has such an IMPORTANT job. When the policeman stopped him, he hopped out of his car to run back to the patrol car. The patrolman mistook this as a sign of "aggression" and pulled a gun on Mr. Lt. Governor. He did stop short of pulling the trigger though.

It's always interesting to get behind a car and it looks like nobody's driving. When you go to pass the car, you realize there is indeed a "little" person sitting behind the wheel that needs a booster seat to see over the steering wheel.

I give drivers a wide berth, both going to and coming from work.
  • My biggest pet peeve is drivers going about 5 mph faster than me on the highway that slow down to my speed when they get next to me forcing me to brake to avoid hitting the car in front of me. Then within a couple of miles I end up passing them - of course I have my cruise control on so my speed is constant.

Last summer someone did that to me and I ended up getting pulled over by a trooper for tailgating as I coasted to slow down. Got off with a warning.

• 1st - let me state that I took the commuter rail to work for the past 8 years, and as one of my peers stated - Until you take it, you do not know how wonderful
    it is. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to have my co-workers think about alternative modes of transportation, especially during poor weather (Company is 7 minutes walk from the underground station) - unsuccessful.
    It is my belief that we have created a monster with all of the cars, and cell phones on the roads. Next time you are stuck in a traffic jam - Look around and you will see that 90% of the cars have just the driver. Think about that, for therein lies the problem.
  • Mr. Bill: I see you are from South Boston. How lucky for you. Not many metropolises have the transportation available to the public that you do. The bus stops right in front of our building. However, it would take a tad over 2 hours to get to work, which is a 20 minute drive by car. Now that the snow birds have gone home, it is a pleasure to drive the freeway. Oh, let me not forget, all the roads in AZ are free, no tolls. Ahhhhhh, the good life.
  • You may be the only one to appreciate this but isn't it wonderful to look out the train window and see all the cars that aren't moving?
  • I'm fortunate enough to live in a city with one of the best mass tansit systems in the country. I love riding the commuter rail in air conditioned comfort while watching the cars on Hwy 26 crawl along at 5 mph. And it's a lot cheaper than driving to boot.
  • Beaverton is a suburb of Portland. Yes, I know -- it's a peculiar name.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-28-03 AT 08:25AM (CST)[/font][p]Nothing worse than getting behind a tractor on a two-lane highway going up and down hills with no way to pass (no passing zones) and it's always when you're running late for work! It's like they are totally oblivious to the 2 miles of traffic backed up behind them. #0
  • Okay...I don't have a terrible commute (10 minutes from home, live and work on the same street just at opposite ends). I could take the bus...it would take 45 minutes (figure that out). My biggest peeve is soccer moms with tanker SUV's!! How do I know they are soccer moms x:-/ ...the soccer decal displayed proudly on the back of the tank! What the @##$ do they need such a mammoth mode of transportation for and why are they out when I'm trying desparately to get to work? They talk on their cell phones, wipe a kids nose in the back and touch up the lipstick all while driving the giant car crunching machine! I can bet every time I see a Ford Excursion or a Chevy Suburban in the morning, it contains a mother and her youngest kid or kids.

Okay I feel better now. I'm getting down off my box!
  • Ah, don't forget about those people who pull up right behind you and put on the BRIGHT lights, then pass you and CUT right in front of you. I actually managed to get the truck number of a major public utility company as it passed me in this manner. Made a complaint - nothing ever came out of it.

Chari
  • I agree with all of the above!

My commute is 18 miles - about 26 minutes if I'm lucky. I stopped taking the new highway just built because every time I looked around, people were doing 80 (70 mph speed limit) and yakking on their cell phone. I take an older highway that has a view of an alpaca farm.

However, I get behind my share of older drivers doing 30 mph, soccer moms, (and I'm one with my Subaru Forester) and locals, who believe that since they are local, you know where they are going so they don't need to use their turn signals. (True story)

I have told myself that I won't get stressed over these folks and that the world will not end if I'm a few minutes late. (At least for today, I believe that!)

• All of you need a Xanax! This all reminds me of an old casette comedy tape by some X-Rated guy....A guy was driving down the interstate after being exposed to second hand cannabis smoke (right). He got 'blue-lighted' and slowly rolled to a stop on the side of the highway. He rolled down his window and asked the trooper, "Officer, was I speeding?" The officer said, "Mister, you were driving twoooooo miles an hour!!"

I suggest you all should randomly count daffodils and other flowers on the roadside and ignore traffic problems and don't let them get under your skin. What the world needs now (dum-de-dum) is more people who stay chilled out and mellow and melancholy and cheerful and gentle and of good disposition....much like me. And stop all those Bronx Cheers on the roadway and those one fingered waves you've been giving! There is hope for you all.
  • Hey Don, did you take up bicycling to work?
  • Hey Don, how do you know I tell people they are #1?? Have you been in front of me driving like an idiot?? Oh no...that's right you don't leave Mississippi much and well I don't leave Pennsylvania much either!
  • Don, Sir: Would you kindly take your chilled out, mellow, melancholy,cheerful, gentle and of good disposition buttocks back to your cell?
  • I'd recognize that Jersey-girl attitude anywhere. My tractor rarely gets out of second gear on any of Mississippi's highways.
  • Don- I think YOU'VE been inhaling too much second hand cannabis smoke! Telling us all to "mellow out, dudes"! (sorry, I had to add the dude for effect)

x;-)
    April
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-29-03 AT 11:23AM (CST)[/font][p]Don, I wonder if your attitude would have been so mellow less than six weeks ago when you had the former, "insane 45 minute commute," rather than the current commute, "Much closer to my house. Actually 3 miles." /:)