The War

This isn't something funny, but this still seemed like the best place to post. Do any of you have family members involved in the war? How are you doing and is it affecting you at work? Both my sons, ages 20 & 21, are in the Army and in Kuwait (or Iraq maybe?). I think I'm doing pretty good, except I seem distracted and find my mind wandering down some negative pathways at times. Our employees have been great about asking me how they are doing and if we've heard from them. Anyone else? Barbara

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a nephew who returned from Afganistan about 5 weeks ago. If the war in Iraq is prolonged, he may be heading over there.
  • Barbara, I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you to have two sons in Kuwait. My nephew is in the Reserves and is a nurse who specializes in biochemical warfare. He waiting to be deployed. His son joined the regular army to receive educational benefits and has been in Kuwait for several weeks now. And yes, it does worry me a great deal. My thoughts will be with you, too.

Elizabeth
  • No family members this time around and I thank God for that. I have co-workers with family members, and they, too, are feeling distracted and finding it hard to focus so am confident you are not alone. Will keep good thoughts for your sons safe and speedy return. Do take care.
  • One of my co-workers is in the National Gaurd and he left last week and will be gone for at least one year. It has been very hard for everyone around here. We have a picture of him in his uniform on our company bulletin board in our lunch room and he wrote everyone a nice card before he left and that hangs right below his picture. It is a nice reminder of what he is doing for us and it reminds us all to pray for him while he is gone.

I also have a few friends who have husbands serving and I know it is hard on them.

Know that your sons have the nation praying for them!
  • So far I have three employees deployed, the son of a dear friend ready to go, and her husband's son already there. I think the numbers are going to raise before I see anyone coming home.

Barbara, I have three sons and can't imagine the worry, let alone distraction, you must be going through. God bless, and bring them home safe.
  • Barbara, I have no one over there, but the war seems to have consumed me. I am VERY distracted both at home and at work. I stay up until at least 1 am watching TV coverage every night and find myself sinking into an unhealthy sadness. I've told myself I'm not going to continue doing this, but can't seem to stop. I've feel God has given me a sort of 'sixth sense'or an 'overdose' of being able to personalize what others are feeling. This goes on all the time, war or no war. It is sometimes very burdensome. How does effect HR? It's both good and bad, I've got some very spoiled employees because I go to bat for them often, and you have to make sure your not taken advantage of. With regard to the war, I'm having trouble sleeping. I feel like your boys are my boys. Then I remind myself of Another who's son was placed in harm's way for a cause, and I take comfort in understanding the sacrifice and good that came from it. Hope I didn't offend or overstep proper forum conduct with this post. Just had to say my piece. I'll continue to remember all the sons and daughters.
    Another Barbara.
  • Thanks to all of you. We can all be praying for our troops and supporting those in our workplaces at this time. Barbara
  • We have some co-workers in the military reserves - one has been called up, but has not had to go overseas yet The others are just waiting to be called. Hope this is a short one. Don't want a repeat of the Gulf War.

We are thinking of you.

• I don't know anyone personally who has been sent, but my heart is heavy about this situation as well, and my work life seems rather meaningless right now. Deciding whether to process some insurance papers today, or tomorrow, and dealing with a CEO who is at times a tyrant are my "biggest" issues of the moment, which are so irrelevant and unimportant when thinking about what is happening in the Gulf. There are people out there whose job it is to kill or be killed - and I only face whether something should be dated today or tomorrow! And what about the families, friends, and "co-workers" of the POWs? I simply cannot imagine the agony ...

Multiple times each day my thoughts and prayers are centered and focused on our soldiers, and those of our allies, and our country in general. Blessings to those of you dealing with this all in a much more direct way than I am!
  • Barbara:

You and your sons are in my thoughts.

We have several employees who have brothers, sons, sons-in-law, etc. gone now. We have cut them a little more slack lately when they seem distracted and I know that other employees seem to be picking up the workload.

We'll just keep hoping that this will end quickly.

Zanne

• I have a son in the Navy who is currently on the Abraham Lincoln. While he is not on the front line, I worry non-the-less. But I too find that I do well, then get distracted, that is when I start saying a little prayer, now I will make it bigger for all of the rest of you and your family members and loved ones. xpray
  • I also have a son in Kuwait (age 28 - just got married last September and has three step-daughters). My husband's nephew is also in Kuwait (age 38, a Major, and divorced with three children whose mother wouldn't allow him to see before being deployed). Your statements echo mine - it is easy to become distracted and have negative thoughts. I sometimes find myself craving for the latest information on the war while I'm at work, but remind myself that the best thing I can do is keep praying for a quick end to the war, and the safe return of all our troops, whatever capacity they may be serving in. My thoughts are with you...

Very proud mother of a serviceman,

Sharon
  • I do not have a family member in the war. My thoughts and prayers are with our troops, their families and our country. GOD BLESS. We will prevail.
  • Barbara,

My daughter-in-law is there too. Not only do I worry about her continually, I am concerned about my son's frame of mind. They are newlyweds and he is a whole different person without her. She is a wonderful young woman and has a strong spirit so I take solace in that. I find myself constantly aware of every news break on the radio and TV reports. I am always on the verge of tears with each "Special Report" I feel for you haivng your sons both there. My heart goes out to you, please "keep the faith" I will keep you and your sons in my prayers.
  • I have heard of one organization that has posted pictures of the involved staff, family members and close friends on a bulletin board. I think that is a great idea and a way to show support for staff. Thanks for all the kind words and know that I am keeping your loved ones in thoughts and prayers also. Tks, Barbara
  • We've been discussing the war a lot on a message board I set up for my high school classmates (Class of '80). We're in an age group that is hit doubly hard - I have 3 classmates involved in the fighting, and 5 classmates who have children involved. One of these classmates has two sons deployed and a daughter who is still stateside. Another of the classmates is there as a member of the Reserves, but his son is there as Regular Army. We attended a small school in rural Iowa, and we've been a tight-knit group since elementary school. The war, particularly the added sense of mortality, will certainly add something to our next class reunion - whether good or bad, we don't yet know.

• They're HOME!!!!!!!!!

My stepson came into town on Friday and was at our house yesterday. We were sitting in the cul-de-sac visiting with him and neighbors, and a car pulls up and out steps my son! I screamed, I cried and I didn't let go of him for 10 minutes. I wasn't expecting him for another week or two. Best part is, he's here until Sept. 5th when he reports to school in Virginia.

Thanks for the prayers!
    Barbara
  • How wonderful for you - and a long time to catch up and hang on. God bless!
  • I rejoice for their safety, Enjoy!!
  • Congratulations Barbara. I can't imagine what that must feel like. But, it must be wonderful.
  • How wonderful! I can't stop hugging my kids if I'm away from them for 24 hours and they've been perfectly safe the whole time. I cannot imagine how it feels when they are out there protecting all of us and our way of life.

Congratulations.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-28-03 AT 03:17PM (CST)[/font][p]My uncle just returned from Iraq, and will be heading back in about 2 months. He is a Naval Doctor, but has been traveling with a Marine Unit. My cousin-in-law is in special forces. We have not heard from him in 6 weeks. We have no clue as to where he is, and rarely hear from him. His wife, my "baby" cousin is a wreck. They were only married for 6 weeks before he shipped out for the first time, and while she knew what being a military wife would mean, she still finds it hard to be away from him and not know whether he is alive, or in trouble. They have been married a total of two years, and have only really been together for 6 months. She has not seen him this time since late January, and he shipped out Feb. 14...how romantic. We just pray and support Kristi and Jay (my uncle) with all of our hearts.
  • I will be praying for both of them!