SS "No Match" Letters

Is anyone willing to share:
1. language that you might have in your Employee Manuals regarding no-match letters
and
2. language used in correspondence to employees about no-match letters received?

Many thanks!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I hope letters aren't required. We termed over 200 illegals three years ago and did not provide a letter to any of them!!
  • I don't want to appear naive, but a no-match letter isn't grounds for termination. You need to notify them to clear up any discrepancy with the SS Administration. What steps did you take to determine that they were illegal???
  • Several years ago we received 23 "No Match" letters over a two year period. We gave each individual a copy of the "No Match" letter attached to a letter from me stating the following in English & Spanish:

"The X Company recently received the attached letter. The letter indicates that your name & SSAN do not match. At the bottom of the attached letter are instructions in Spanish, which will enable you to have the letter translated into Spanish. Please call the number listed at the bottom of the attached letter (1-8090-772-1213)in order to resolve this problem. Please let me know the results of your phone conversation."

All 23 individuals either failed to show for work the next day or stopped coming to work several days later when I asked them about their phone call regarding the letter.

HRH is correct in that you can't term just because of the "No Match" letter. But as you can see, asking individual employees to respond to the letter basically solves the problem for you.

Word also gets out that your company takes the letters seriously, which in turn stops many individuals with SSAN problems from applying at your company. We have not received another "No Match" letter since the above mentioned 23.

I keep a copy of our letter and the "No Match" letter in each ex-employee's personnel file.

Good luck.
  • Very good instruction letter.
    We got a few several years ago. One was for one of our Managers who happens to be a Naturalized citizen (in his 60's) from Germany. He was really upset and offended as to why we would get one. He didn't have a middle name or initial. I know he went to the SS office and to my knowledge nothing was ever changed or figured out why!!(Government at work)
    I contacted someone with the government (can't remember who) and was told to let them know abou the "no match". To hand out new W-2's and ask them to complete a new one with their name listed exactly as it is on their SS card. We had copies of most of these employee's SS card and a lot were correct. There were a couple who still had maiden names (from before I came to company) and a few had full middle name and not initial, and one with name mispelled on SS card and he had never realized it. I am sure there could have been some illegals in there too. (Have had turn over on a few of these.)
    E Wart