Signature on Job Descriptions

Should it me a requirement to have an employee sign his job description?
Thanks
Lakeway Municipality

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We do not require it and I don't see a benefit to it in particular. We do give the new hire a copy of the job description, however.
  • During the interview process we show the applicant a copy of the job description. There is a section for the applicant to check if they feel they can perform the essential functions of the job, or not, and then sign. If they check no and later want to sue for not hiring them, we have their answer and signature they said they could not perform the job. If they check yes and we hire the individual, we have support they said they could perform the job in case they come back later and say they were not aware of what they would be doing. We just started this about 1 1/2 years ago after hearing this as a best practice at an employment seminar we attended.

Becky
  • I vote yes. Maybe it is because I come from a collective bargaining environment, but I see a lot of benefits of having a signed copy of the employee's most recent position description in their personnel file.

Let me ask this question: if the position description is not signed, how can management prove that the employee has even seen it?

Geno
  • Mgmt decided to update all job descriptions and include a signature line. We also are updating our emergency contact info at the same time. Thanks for the input.
  • We are heading this way also. We recently changed an ee from one department to another and had her sign on the corresponding line whether or not she accepted it. We are adding signature lines to all descriptions as they get reviewed and revamped.

Cheryl C.
  • We have our employees review and sign their position outlines upon hiring, when they change to a new position and then on yearly basis. (After they have been reviewed for changes, we do them all in the same month each year to complete the task and not omit anyone.)
  • Its never been an issue but I can see some advantages to having an ee sign a job description. You would have documented that the ee was aware of their essential duties, etc.