Social Security Matching Letters

Does anyone have a written policy in their manual that deals with receiving a letter from the SS Administration regarding SS numbers that do not match their records?? Many thanks!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I followed the instructions that came with the list. Having been new to this position, I had not seen one of them before. We had about 50-60 people on it. I contacted each one of them to re-verify that we had the correct information from their SS cards and I responded to the letter that I had reverified the information. Many of the people on the list no longer worked for us. I was still somewhat uncomfortable because the list did not seem to grow smaller the next year. We decided to verify through the SS Administration all of our employees. Anyone who did not match the SS Admin was notified by a memo, hand delivered to them and they were given a map to the nearest SS Admin office and given 1 week to get it corrected and bring proof of the correction to me. If they did not comply with that, they would no longer be employed by us after that week. It took us 1 year to verify all employees. Unfortunately we lost about 50 people doing this, but I am confortable now that everyone we have employed is has the legal right to work in the US. We have incorporated into our new hire procedures that we verify SSN's at time of hire.
  • This letter of verification comes from the SSA office, therefore, I do not believe it would make sense to try to write something in your policy manual on how to deal with it.

We received such a letter about two years ago. We abided by the instuctions and ended up letting go of about 200 employees. We do hire alot of foreign nationals, and unfortunately, not all have legal documents. Even though we followed the I-9 procedures, illegal SS#s are easily obtainable.