Sorry, but No Thanks Letter

Does anyone have a letter to send to candidates who applied for a position, were interviewed and rejected? I had one, but the COO wants to look at other eaxmples. You can e-mail me at [email]dmnuccio@flrad.com[/email] - Thanks
scorpio

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Scorp: Funny you should ask. I was sitting here trying to figure out how to tell an applicant that we have decided to continue interviewing. Anything I came up with sounded blah.

Maybe some Forumites might post samples here???
  • We use a very short, sweet, and to the point letter. Really, you're sending the letter as a courtesy to let them know the position has been filled. No need to coddle or console them, just give them the information so they aren't sitting around waiting for your call.

Dear

Thank you for your interest in our recent opening for and for the time you took to interview and observe the duties of the position. After careful consideration we have selected the candidate whose skills and experience most closely match the requirements of the job. We will keep you in mind for future openings with the company.

Cordially,

• That's the easy one. I need one that tells the applicant we are going to continue oue search. For one reason or another, we have no further interest in them.

How do you say that nicely?
  • Why tell them that ritaanz, how about something like this.

Thank you for applying for our (insert position here). The selection committee responsible for reviewing candidates for that position has carefully reviewed all applications and resumes received. A decision has been made not to evaluate your candidacy to the next level. We do appreciate your interest in opportunities at (insert company here,) and encourage you to reapply as future positions are announced.
  • Aha! That does the trick. Thanks mucho.
  • I think I would leave off the part about encouraging them to reapply in the future. I think you can end it with "we appreciate you interest in opportunities at...."
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-08-05 AT 12:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I would not say something like "We will keep your resume on file...". Saying that obligates the employer, and is, at minimum, untrue. At most, it can be waved in your face attached to an EEOC complaint when you fail to do what you said you would do.

The one I use that I've posted on the Forum several times is:

Dear....Thank you for your interest in opportunities at XXX. Our selection and review committee has decided to broaden our search; therefore, our recruitment period for the abc opening will remain open. Again, thank you for your interest and we wish you the best in your pursuits.

If the candidate HAS been interviewed, add a sentence thanking them for their time. Short and sweet, no reasons for the rejection, no promises, no invitation to reapply, leaves no perception that they ought to call you. If I got it in the mail I would simply go away, which is your hope anyway, I assume.

(edit) I also have some thoughts about your COO micro-managing something as mundane as a rejection letter; but, I will keep that to myself. You have my prayers.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-13-05 AT 10:57AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I used this one, Don, and got this response:

Hello,
    Thanks so much for getting back with me. Does this mean that I don't fit the needed requirements or are you still considering me as an applicant? I just want to be sure I understand your email. I do really appreciate you getting back with me.
    Thanks,

So, I'm going to tweak a little more.

(edit): I plagurized Safety's and said "We have decided to not advance your application to the next level." instead of broadening the search and leaving the recruitment period open.
  • My standard written comment to a rejected candidate who badgers me and calls and writes and emails, is that 'we have decided not to advance your candidacy to the next level'. If they do not understand your earlier reply or this one, it's an IQ test and you have wasted your time. Waste no more.

I have, on occasion, told someone, "You have called me so often that you have frankly talked yourself out of an interview". Or, "John, I have tried my best to clarify our procedure and timeline for you. I have asked you to observe our requirements to not call. I have told you that you will be advised of our decision. Your continued telephone calls have removed you as a potential candidate for this position."

I don't say 'resume' or 'application', instead I use the word candidacy, which encompasses every possibility.

Usually it is not necessary to send this type of communication to a candidate; but, when they call and call and email and write, etc., it is sometimes the only way to maintain your sanity.

I am numb and basically unresponsive to the candidate who tries to seize control and ask questions about why they were not advanced or why they were not selected or what was it about their candidacy that was less than our requirements.
  • Just emailed one of my samples to you.