Falsification of Application Dilemna

Does anybody ever reconsider applicants who have falsified their applications?

We are experiencing many falsified applications from applicants for manual labor positions in Sanitation, Street and Parks maintenance, most often in response to the questions, "have you ever been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor? If yes, provide the information regarding such convictions in the spaces indicated." They either check no or only list one or two, when their record may be many. When we do the background and obtain the criminal history conviction record and it is evident that the applicant has attempted to deceive, the applicant is automatically disqualified for falsification - not for the criminal history itself necessarily.

They also frequently fail to list a complete work history and we find out this in various ways during interviews and in doing the backgrounds.

A lot of these applicants have been coming back and reapplying for other positions within a short period of time and expect to be considered because they are now disclosing the criminal history or additional previous employment on the new applications.

I would prefer permanent disqualification for falsification of the application, but in this area it is often difficult to find people who want to do this type of work.

I would like to have some feedback from some members of the forum and what they do about this problem.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my last job, these applicants would be excluded from applying for any positions for a period of two years. In our letter to the applicant we informed them they were excluded from being considered for any position for a period of two years.
  • In our business, parking lot management, individuals who knowingly falsify their application, are not permitted to apply again. Because our employees have access to customer's vehicles plus any and all personal information that may be inside, we consider the trust/honesty factor extremely high. Any one who has served time knows it and there usually isn't a sufficient "excuse" for forgetting. I have even had them tell me "I forgot" when they were just released in the last month from jail and are now on probation! However, I think it would depend on the job position. Also, how do you define "serious misdemeanor" = what is serious to you may not be to them.
    Job history may be a challenge in definition and expectation. One of the national news services prints,in our local paper, the advice that is is not necessary to list every job - only pick those that matter. I fume everytime I read that because as the potential employer, I want to see your history not just what you think matters. Why are there gaps in your employment? Why have you changed jobs so much? Why did you leave the last ten jobs over the last two years? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • I hope you have taken the time to write a letter to the editor about their foolish advice to job seekers. What pinhead came up with that notion? I'll bet it was not the paper's HR Director.