Getting PHR or SPHR Certified

I am interested in getting my certification, but was wondering what method for studying was the best - going away for a 3-day seminar or purchasing software to learn online? I realize everyone's study habits or preferences are different, so I was hoping to hear from individuals who have studied either way. Did anyone receive a salary increase/promotion when they became certified?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My local SHRM chapter helped structure a training course for those HR people interested in obtaining certification. The course used the SHRM Learning System - very linear and far less "meaty" than other material. I did access other materials as well to supplement the process. The additional material was suggested in the learning system but I also contacted people that have passed the test and asked for some recommendations. Several people I know went to a boot camp with mixed results. The boot camp consisted of five, 8 hour days of lecturing. Yawn. The course I took through the local chapter met for two hours, once a week for ten weeks. It gave me an opportunity to digest the information between meetings. Yes, I did receive a pay increase. Good Luck.
  • Thanks HRing. I think I will look at our local chapter for classes. That does seem like the best way to go. Thank you for your input.
  • Same thing here. SHRM chapter had classes once a week for about 6 weeks for 2-3 hours. Covered differenct subjects each week. We had a textbook (which I still use) and had to read homework assignements. Also good way to make new friends for networking and calling for suggestions/feedback and ideas in the future.
    I think it made me study, also taught me how to take the test, which at least when I took it, doesn't necessarily test what you know. There were a lot of trick questions. (Has changed since then so I can't say about new one.)
    If you have enough years in to take the SPHR, go ahead and do this. (This was what I was advised and I am glad I did this.)
    No I didn't get a salary increase, but was surprised by the number of employers who knew about it when I was looking for a new job.
    E Wart
  • I have tried both ways and have found nothing that really helps. I have my PHR and just went on November 20 to test for the SPHR, but failed. This last time, I order study material from HRCI, but it seemed like the material I studied was not on the test. Good luck.
  • Two of us who work in H.R. here both went through a 14-week preparation course at a vocational-technical school in our area. A consultant from Tulsa came once a week and conducted a 3-hour class to help us prepare. We did pre-exams, studied a module for a few weeks, then took post-exams.

He was a top-notch instructor which really helped and presented the reality of the test difficulty and what study discipline would be needed from each of us in order to pass the final exam.

I also took an entire week off and studied through each entire module again before taking the exam.

I am doubtful that I would have passed the exam without having taken this preparation course. If you find one available in your area, I would highly recommend it.
  • I just took the SPHR last Friday and PASSED!!!!!!!! (Snoopy Dance!!). I did use the SHRM materials and a 13 week prep course. It was tough, but well worth it. My advise would be to study as much as possible, but remember what you've learned thru your individual expereince in HR. So far in my class 2 passed the PHR, 2 passed the SPHR and one failure in SPHR. The rest of the class tests after the Holdidays. Good luck.
  • Congratulations!!! Where did you take the exam? Were you a PHR before? If so, what was the new exam like compared to the old paper one?
  • Deidre, sorry that I didn't respond sooner. Took the classes at CCRI, great instructor. No - was not a PHR prior to the exam. Never took the paper exam, but I can tell you that pushing the submit button on the computer test is a very funky feeling. Seeing "YOU PASSED" printed on the screen is heaven!
  • i took an 11 week course which was tough but i felt it prepared us well. However the course I took was over $1,000 for the 11 weeks. So be prepared for that expenditure and good luck.
  • I went through a formal preparatory program through a local university for my PHR. I would recommend that. For my SPHR, I participated in local SHRM chapter study groups. That was helpful. I highly, highly recommend the SHRM Learning System. It was included in the university class.

Read it, highlight in it, make flash cards from it, study the flash cards, practice the samples tests. Seems like there was a sample test you could order from SHRM for $45, which was also beneficial to me. You've got to know their material and their testing methods.