electronic employee handbook

We're in the process of updating our employee handbook. We are trying to decide if providing access to the handbook on our intranet, along with an electronic receipt that we would print and keep in the personnel files, will be "defendable" if I need to prove that an employee was or should have been aware of a policy in the handbook.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi - I went through this same process about 3 months ago and if you do a search on topics you will probably find the thread that gave me a lot of great advice on this area. (search for "intranet manual")

We did put the manual on intranet and made the paper version obsolete. We have security features that do not allow the manual to be accessed outside of the company facilities, nor to print out pages, and any updates are announced with an email to everyone. Employees seem happy with this (we have a small, mostly tech-savvy population), especially that we have joined the modern times with having an intranet.

One of the useful bits of advice I recieved through the Forum was to roll out the new intranet manual with a "celebration" - I put out a short quiz that employees had to find the answers in the intranet manual - all correct entries were put in a drawing for free lunch! It got people to actually take a look through the manual, especially to updated policies, and they became comfortable with the new format.

good luck!