No Weapons on Premises Policy

I need to incorporate a no weapons policy in our Employee Handbook and am not sure how broad or narrow to make this. I wonder about things like: individuals who have a permit for concealed weapons, weapons in personal vehicles parked on site, etc. If anyone has a policy they would be willing share, it would be most appreciated.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The following is listed as one of a number of reasons for termination, disciplinary action, etc.

• Possession of firearms, explosives (including fireworks) or any other items whether concealed or openly carried that may be considered a weapon capable of posing a danger to other persons while working or representing the Company either on or off company property.

This policy has some problems that were pointed out the last time I shared it. For instance, I have a pair of scissors at my desk. They have 4 inch blades that could quite a bit of damage and would be considered a weapon in lots of circumstances - nonetheless, I have not been disciplined for having them, nor has anyone else in the building.

I am sure you will find others with policies that have more clarity - but here is an example to keep or discard as you see fit.
  • We also just use this phrase in our list of conduct that may result in termination without notice:

"Possession of dangerous or unauthorized materials, such as explosives or firearms, in the workplace or on company property."

Have not yet been pressed into duty as scissors police, but never say never.
  • Birdgirl,

We include "no gun" language in our workplace violence policy as follows:

POLICY:
    The Company will not tolerate violent, threatening, intimidating or harassing behavior of any sort; possession or use of weapons; physical attacks; or the intentional destruction of company property, another person’s property in our workplace or in the course of conducting business. We will not tolerate weapons anywhere on company property, including weapons brought in vehicles parked on company property.

Hope this helps.
  • Birdgirl,

An oversight on my part, the "no guns" is also covered in our progressive discipline policy as follows:

POLICY:
    As a general matter, violations of work rules, instances of unacceptable behavior, continued poor performance or attendance issues, will be subject to progressive discipline. This means that employees will be disciplined with increasing severity each time an offense is repeated or performance improvement is not forthcoming. However, some types of misconduct are so intolerable that they may result in termination or other disciplinary action at any time, at the Company’s sole discretion. These include, but are not limited to, physical attacks or threatening behavior on/to another individual; falsification of documents or records; theft; willful property damage; use or possession of alcohol or illegal drugs; harassment of another employee; immoral conduct or behavior; safety violations; possession of weapons on company property; disclosing confidential information; actions representing conflict of interest; and unauthorized use of company equipment. Supervisors/managers may suspend employees who commit a serious act of misconduct, not limited to those outlined above, at the time of the incident pending an investigation and review of the matter. Depending on the results of the investigation, workers may be reinstated and may receive any lost pay, benefits, or seniority.

• Just as a suggestion, you may want to address that employees with a consealed weapons permit is still not permitted to bring a weapon on site. I had an employee try to tell me that his permit allowed him t carry the gun at al times, including while on the production floor. I assured him that our policy would be enforced and he would be discplined if he violated the policy permit or no permit.
  • Thanks so much for all your input. I always learn so much when I post a question to the Forum. This info will help a lot!
  • Here's the operative language from our policy. Weapons are folded into our workplace violence policy.

"It is our goal to maintain a work environment free from intimidation, threats, or violent acts. To that end, the Company has adopted a zero tolerance policy regarding violence in the workplace. This includes, but is not limited to, intimidating, threatening, or hostile behaviors; physical abuse; vandalism; arson; sabotage; use of weapons; carrying weapons of any kind onto Company property regardless of possession of a lawful permit; or any other aggressive act, which, in management's opinion, is inappropriate to the workplace."