Need positives for a very negative review

I'm trying to help a co-worker and am stuck for ideas. They are preparing an annual review which is partially based on "soft" skills dealing with interactions with peers.

The employee has been quite a challenge & my peer is at a loss for any positives to list on the subjective portion of the review. I've run through my laundry list of potential postiives to no avail. Their desk is disorganized, they don't participate in team events, they aren't pleasant to co-workers, their work is frequently late, their clothing is border-line unprofessional. Pretty much the only positive we've found is the fact they don't smell bad. Pretty slim pickings for a review.

The review cannot be all negative. Can anyone provide some other choices we may be overlooking for a small ray of positivity. Thanks in advance -

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • is the person meeting the minimum qualifications for the job?

If not, there may be no positives to point out...and hopefully progressive discipline with take care of the matter.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-29-04 AT 12:43PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-29-04 AT 12:19 PM (CST)[/font]

There may be no "salvation" from what you describe, and perhaps discipline might be the only thing left, but . . . How is their attendance? Their job knowledge? Their computer/word processing/telephone skills? Their ability to follow verbal/written instructions? Accepting changes in the workload? Willingness to work overtime? Willigness to learn new tasks?
  • I had a friend years ago who would say of unpleasant people, "But she keep her room neat", or, "She plays the piano well", or, "She doesn't sweat much for a fat girl." Would any of these work for your peer who is faced with this review?

If you are in HR and the only positive thing you can dredge up is the person doesn't smell bad, I'm feeling it's a hopeless situation.
  • I am fairly new to HR so please be patient with me if I sound stupid, but I think the trick is how you word it. Take the negative and turn it into a positive. How about trying to emphasize potential. let the employee know that you see a greater potential than their current performance, give them an "action plan" that creates the desire to do better.

For example: "the quality of your work is acceptable, but you have the capability of becoming exceptional with a more effort. I believe that you can achieve much more than what you are currently doing......"

Itemize certain attainable tasks that can help the employee to improve. In keeping it positive this way, it can inspire the employee to want to "live up to your expectations". And giving them attainable goals gives confidence.

• Who says a review cannot be all negative. And by the way, the items brought up in an annual review should not be surprises for the victim, ...er, uh, I mean the EE.

It sounds to me like their should have been some specific personal improvement plans discussed with this EE during the year. To save it all up and then dump it on this EE is probably not the best way to administer an employee development plan within an organization. You could consider giving some training in this area to let your supervisor know that devloping EEs is not just a once a year exercise.