Year End Event/Company Holiday Party

I am a Human Resource Manager for a company with about 25,000+ employees. I've been given the initiative to review our holiday party in terms of cost, time spent planning and organizing and overall participation. On average, about 55% of our employees company wide attend the event. I've been asked to make a proposal - do we cut the event or keep it. Can you tell me if your company still has a holiday party and if so, is there a cost per head which can be spent and do you have any guidelines in terms of 2 drink tickets per attendee, venue (i.e., hotel vs. convention center), etc...

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We still have our holiday party. We have 1200 employees and about 1/3 of them attend the holiday gathering. This past year, we had to increase the price to employees($25 each), who may bring one guest (also a $25 charge). It's a full-course dinner, soup to dessert, with carafes of white and red wine on the tables (no refills). We do three dinner choices (beef, fish, chicken) and accommodation can be made for anyone who has a special dietary requirement. Our function is held at a large local banquet house, renowned for its atmosphere and food.

There's a social hour with hot and cold finger food before dinner (attendees are on their own for the libations) and then dancing to a live band, which we hire for the evening (we provide dinners for them also). A photographer we hire takes individual table pictures and candids all evening (we later post these in our Cafeteria, and employees can have their pictures).

We've already booked the same place for this year's holiday party.
  • We are a manufacturing environment. Each of our plants has an employee appreciation budget of a few thousand dollars. Each plant involves their employees in choosing what to do. Obviously you are not going to make everyone happy. I encourage you to get as much involvement from the people attending the parties as possible. Not many people like change, but it's even worse when it's handed down from above.
  • We have had one for quite a few years. We are a smaller company (120 ees) and have about a 40% participation rate. We provide dinner for the employee and one guest, two drink tickets per person as well as numerous raffle prizes. We also have a DJ (we tried a band, didn't go over well) after dinner. We are considering stopping this tradition for a number of reasons...

1) The amount of time it takes to plan it (myself and another person make all the centerpieces to be raffled off) and do all the shopping gets cumbersome and only certain individuals are willing to help.

2) The drinking gets out of hand. While we try to reduce the drinking as much as possible we still have employees drink excessively and do things they shouldn't.

3) The complaining from employees regarding the dinner, the prizes, the company, etc. during the party really makes you ask "why".

I made the suggestion that we might get more participation for a company picnic in the summer but was informed that this was tried and nobody wanted to attend because the company wasn't supplying any alcohol.

While I think that this type of thing CAN be a good thing, I don't see us going through the trouble or expense again.
  • Linda, I feel your pain.

We didn't have a holiday party last year because of the fact that we had to reduce salary increases and spending $25,000 -$30,000 for a party would not be a "good thing" when you had to reduce increases.

We have had many of the same issues as you about HR having to do all the work, shopping, set-up, etc. for the party.

Also, the drinking mess gets worse every year. We don't serve hard liquor, only wine and beer, but it's amazing that people can get just as drunk off these and show their butts!

Complaints from others about something or other not being to their "liking" (Mind you, they don't ever offer to help put it together, but are quick to criticize every little thing).

We have cookouts for employees from time to time but have them during the lunch hours (11:30-1:30). Last year we served hot dogs, hamburgers and grilled chicken. We had a problem keeping our grill hot enough to get the chicken done. People were bitching and moaning about the chicken not being ready (after they had already consumed a hotdog and a hamburger). My CEO wants to do this again this year and I told him that I'd do it this year, but if I heard what I heard last year, I wouldn't do it again. These events aren't cheap either!

Picnics (or anything after hours) don't seem to be a very popular event with our crowd.

It's always a challenge trying to please everyone, isn't it?
  • Rockie: You're amazed that people can get just as drunk off beer as hard liquor and you guys can't keep the charcoal hot? I really need to come up there and give you guys some tips.
  • You are welcome anytime!

Maybe it's because we get into the beer and wine that we can't keep the grill hot enough!
  • We used to have both a summer picnic (that was really nice) for families and a holiday event just for employees and a guest. We did away with this about 3 years ago due to the high cost and relatively low turnout....

Instead, because we are located near Hershey Park, we decided to have an event there...each employee gets 2 tickets (additional tickets are 25.00)and we provide a buffet park lunch(usually picnic food). We choose to hold this on a Sunday because it's cheaper and means that we don't have to close on a workday.

Feedback from employees is that it's nice...and although we're not really "together" as a company....we have fewer work issues as a result...sometimes the stuff that happens at picnics and parties bleeds into work.