Open up a can of worms???

2»

Comments

• Hi POPEYE - I would also like a copy. Thanks
  • Sorry POPEYE - I forgot to include my email - [email]Ransdell@onegoodlawyer.com[/email]
  • I would like to have a copy sent to me too please! Thank you [email]bgreene@axisdental.com[/email]
  • Would like a copy of this policy - thnx so much, [email]dlail@steelerubber.com[/email]
  • Popeye,

I know I'm late in this discussion but can I get a copy of your "No FAULT" policy also?
    Thanks,
  • If you haven't gone crazy from the requests yet I too would love a copy of your no fault policy. Thank you in advance.
    [email]szemblidge@versa-tags.com[/email]
  • We are a union plant, but I think this would work just as well in a non-union plant.

Attendance Program
    The administration of disciplinary action for excessive absences will be as follows:

1. Five (5) incidents of absences in a twelve (12) consecutive month period or one (1) AWOL. (Written Warning)
    2. Six (6) incidents of absences or due a second (2nd) attendance related disciplinary warning in a twelve (12) consecutive month period. (Three-day Disciplinary Layoff)
    3. Seven (7) incidents of absences or due a third (3rd) attendance related disciplinary warning in a twelve (12) consecutive month period, or two (2) AWOL's (Five-day Disciplinary Layoff)
    4. Eight (8) incidents of absences or due a fourth (4th) attendance related disciplinary warning in a twelve (12) consecutive month period, or three (3) AWOL's, (Discharge)

All incidents of absence will be documented and signed by the employee and his/her supervisor. An incident of absence is considered to be any one (1) period of absence. The occurrences for each employee will be recorded and maintained for twelve (12) consecutive months. All occurrences more than one (1) year old will not be counted. A tardy or early departure will equal one-half of an incident. Written warnings and records of disciplinary layoffs will be removed from an employee's record after one year.

AWOL - An AWOL is when an employee does not call in at all or calls one hour later after the start of a shift.

The following absences will be excluded as recordable:
    1. Approved leaves of absence as provided by the Labor Agreement
    2 Union business.
    3. Federal, State, County and City government directives.
    4. Hospitalization or covered accident/sickness within the Accident and Sickness Insurance Program.
    5. Occupational injuries.
    6. An absence for four (4) hours or less for any documented medical condition of the employee.
    7. An absence beyond the control of an employee based on a proven family emergency
    8. Personal absence approved in writing in advance by the employee's supervisor, with a maximum of five (5) approved personal absences per calendar year.

An employee will be allowed three (3) excused absences with a doctor's excuse per year. It is the duty of each employee to report for his designated shift unless he has arranged for a leave of absence. If unavoidably prevented from reporting, he shall call-in (or someone at the employee's direction shall call- in) a minimum of two (2) hours before the start of a shift to the answering device at (205) 349-5137.

After a worker has been absent from work, at least four (4) hours' notice previous to the beginning of his shift shall be given of his intention to return to work.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-10-03 AT 11:40AM (CST)[/font][p]At my last employer, we developed a no-fault point system as well. Tardies/leave earlies were assigned 1 point. Absences were assigned 2 points (multiple day absences were counted as one incident if accompanied by a doctor's note). Total points were calculated on a 12-month rolling calendar. 1 point could be earned back if the employee went one calendar month without attaining a point. In addition, if they went three consecutive calendar months without getting any points, they'd get an extra point removed. Progressive discipline was as follows: 11 points - 1st counseling statement; 16 points - 2nd counseling statement; 21 points - termination. This may seem lenient to some, but employees didn't begin earning personal/sick time until they had been there a year, and then it was only a half-day for each year of service.
  • We have adopted an attendance policy based on points. We are mostly blue-collar manufacturing (100 employees). It has worked very well for hourly employees....since we started it in 2000 we have now added PTO that is an incentive for excellent attendance. I can email this policy if you would like.
  • Please email to [email]bkirsc01@sprintspectrum.com[/email]
  • Here is my e-mail for a copy of your attendance plan. Better late than never. Thanks
    [email]DKPayne@theflyer.net[/email]
  • Would you email your p&P to me?

I thank you.

[email]carole.owen@bgfh.com[/email]
  • We track unavailability from work. What that says is an ee is scheduled to work _ number of hours in a week, month, year. If the ee is unavailable then the hours of unavailability are tracked as a ratio of available hours and scheduled hours. When one reaches 2.5% unavailability for a month and for a year we issue corrective action beginning with a verbal, written, suspension then termination.

This system works great in our non-union manufacturing environment. While there are other issues in our unavailability policy the % is a trigger point for action.

As far as earning points back this is possible through the unavailability system. All one has to do is be at work when scheduled and the % unavailability continues to drop with time.
  • Does anyone have a portion of base pay tied to attendance or offer anh attendance bonus?

How often do you require Dr. notes or recertification for intermittent FMLA?

Do you force pay vacation/sick time for FMLA?
  • We do not have base pay tied to attendance nor do we offer attendance bonuses. We do discipline for attendance problems.

You may require recertification every 30 days with three exceptions:

1. A request for a leave extension,
    2. The original situation surround the leave undergoes a dramatic change,
    3. The validity of the original certification is called into question.

If a recertification is called for the EE has 15 days to provide same, and it is normally paid for by the EE.

We do require the parrallel use of leave banks during FML.
  • B Kirsch,
    One of my clients (we are a PEO) wanted a "attendance policy with teeth" So I wrote one that used an accumulation of points for various types of absences (tardy, no call no show, leave early, etc) As the points accumulated, discipline became more severe. The step prior to termination involved reducing the employees pay to minimum wage for one week, the next step was minimum wage for two weeks, and if they still accumulated more points after that, termination. I must say, it was pretty damn effective.
  • >I know this is a loaded question and we could go
    >on for days (months, years)....

You must be psychic, Kymm. With sawyert's reply, your post is still alive after one year and five days. Happy birthday! :DD

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Hi!

May I also get a copy of that policy.

[email]snewman@lighthousecredit.org[/email]

Thank you!!! Have a GREAT day!

Shelley
  • Ann Gee, Oregon: I don't work there now, but my last job had one of these no faults where you can reload your points. Simply: In 1999 the policy was implemented and everybody had 7 points front-loaded into their points bank. You burn them 1/2 or 1 point at a time based on an infractions list. If you reach zero, you terminate. If you have a clear and clean month of no infractions, you earn back a point, never to exceed 7. It's amazing how these geniuses manage it so closely, not reaching zero and not staying at 7. The major problem was the poor woman who had to track all this and manage it finitely. The employee could call or visit to inquire (and did regularly) as to how many points they had. If they had six or seven good points in their bank, you can bet your sweet bippy they were calling out tomorrow or the next day.