Bereavement Leave

I have been asked to review our current policy on bereavement leave. Currently we pay an employee up to 5 days for bereavement leave for the death of an immediate relative: wife,husband,mother,father,sister,brother,son,or daughter. If the deceased is someone not in one of the above, then 1 day off w/pay is given. I am trying to determine if the 5 day allowance is excessive or if it is in line with what other companies my size offer.
We are a privately owned, mid sized company, 60 employees, mfrs rep agency, in business since 1969. I would appreciate hearing what other companies my size are dong in this area. Thank you.

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have approximately 350 employees and we offer 3 days for immediate family (your list plus grandparents and father/mother in-laws) and 2 days for other family members. I am in TN.
  • Where I am currently employed, it is three days for immediate family, one for others..Also, you have to use your sick time to cover it. .a policy I do not support. In my former life, our policy was very generous. 5 days, immediate family or person living in same household, three days all others and all paid above and beyond any PTO. Am sure there are many other combos. .Your policy may be a bit generous for the norm, but I am sure it is appreciated by your ee.
  • we have about 75 employees and our policy is 3 days of bereavement leave for immediate family members only (spouse, spouse’s mother or father, or the employee’s father, mother, child, brother or sister). For anyone else, the employee can use personal or vacation time.
  • We pay for 3 days for immmediate family we include wife, husband
    child, father, mother, brother, sister, grandfather, gradmother,
    step-father/mother, father/mother-in-law, son/daughter-in-law
    step son/daughter and grand son/daughter. We even offer part
    timers 1 1/2 days.
  • We allow 5 days for immediate family as defined by FMLA; however the employee must use their own accrued leave. If they have exhausted their personal leave bank then bereavement days are unpaid. Our sick leave pool does not cover Bereavement leave either, which makes and uncomfortable situation when an employee is using the leave pool days while on FMLA for a seriously ill immediate family member and the family member dies during that period. Suddenly we have to stop the leave pool and dock them pay for the 5 days of bereavement. Sometimes we've even had to go back and dock the pay for the 5 days when we later find out the family member died while the member was on leave pool and we had already paid them. What a dilemma! I wish the bereavement days were paid and the policy would be changed. We do not allow additional days off other than the use of personal leave to attend funerals for others who are not immediate family members.
  • I must add to my last message, we are a large school district with over 6,000 employees.
  • Our agency in NH enables regular full time or part time employee to take care of necessary personal arrangements and relieve the employee of the concern over loss of earnings on regularly scheduled work days immediately following the death of: a spouse or partner, children(including step and foster),parents(including step, foster, and in-law), grandparents, or siblings, as well as roommates or other relatives who were living with you in the same household at the time of death. Upon request, the employee is granted 3 emergency leave without loss of pay. If needed, an additional 2 days may be allowed at the direction of the Executive Director. I would say your policy is pretty liberal.
  • We are a financial institution with around 50 employees. We offer three days for immediate family (spouse, mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, or any of the preceeding prefixed by step.) We offer one day for a mother in law, father in law or grandparent.
  • We pay for three (3) days for immediate family. From what we have seen three (3) days seems to be the average.
  • Bereavement experts across the nation have been trying for years to help businesses see the effect grief and loss has in the workplace. In our hospice agency, we frequently offer "Grief in the Workplace" seminars to help supervisors recognize the physical and emotional signs of grief in employees.

To answer your question, we offer (and bereavement experts recommend) that a minimum of five (5) paid days be provided over and above any other time off granted. Supervisors can also extend bereavement leave at their discretion. We also offer supportive counseling as needed.

Unless you allow time for the bereaved to begin to cope with their loss, they will not be able to function as well in the workplace. I'm certain any hospice agency in your local area would be thrilled to have you contact them for more information on this important topic.
  • I'm not sure what a 'bereavement expert' is or why his advice should be heeded. Bereavement is a process that may take 20-30 years or indeed a lifetime to work through. It is not an obligation of an employer to offer time sufficient for the process to be worked through. Having made what may seem to be a callous remark, let me assure you that I think any employer worth his salt should offer a reasonable time for this circumstance. I have not known of any that exceed three paid days. One exception that I did encounter was the ability for additional reasonable time to be granted when time, distance and travel all made 3 days not enough.
  • I can see where Don's coming from. Perhaps I was a bit too high on my soapbox when I wrote my first post. However, hospices are indeed recognized as the "professional experts" when it comes to end--of-life care and bereavement as we deal with it on a daily basis.

Don is right; people can cope with grief for years. Knowing that, isn't providing five days off worth it to value your ee with compassion? Three days paid leave is very good. Five days paid leave is even better. xclap
  • We are a Healthcare facility in FL with 1300 employees non-profit
    Our policy is "up to 3 days for immediate family defined as spouse, children, parents siblings, grandparents and grandchildren as well as the parents children, siblings grandparents and grandchildren of the emploeye's spouse and any other persons who have had parental responsibility for the employee.
  • We are a non profit agency with about 90 ee's and offer 5 days for immediate family and 3 days for grand parents, in laws, aunts and uncles. They are paid days separate from any other accrued leave. Looks like we are very generous. In addition we allow the day of the funeral if it does not take place in the 3 or 5 day period! (Sometimes this is the case with out of state funerals)
  • As a bank with 150 employees, we give 5 days paid leave for immediate family (parent, step-parent, spouse, child), 3 days for 'second tier' (grandparent, in-law, other household member) and 1 day for aunt/uncle, cousin or any other relationship. We will allow extra days for travel time if needed. We also allow the 5 days to be broken up -- 3 or 4 days for funeral and another day or two for estate settlement. Our employees are very appreciative of the time off. and it comes back to us in employee loyalty.